The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Nickelodeon hate us?
Yes 10 27.03%
No 15 40.54%
I hate them back 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #81
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Can't remember if I asked yet (in the other thread?) or only thought it... but what's up with the purple straps on Donnie's shoulders? Shell and plastron not real or otherwise removable...?
My guess is that the straps are suppose to attach to the belt somehow. I would like to see some color fixes on this design.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #82
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Why would an artist choose to use two shades of purple like that? Needs more contrast. All the lighter purple/pink needs to be black. And the belt needs a complete redesign.
this design is really an eyesore!
let's just say hypothetically- the show is really funny, and well written.
(very doubtful by looking at this design, but let's say it anyway.)

staring at these overly vibrant clashing colors is serious eyestrain just waiting to happen!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #83
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Can't remember if I asked yet (in the other thread?) or only thought it... but what's up with the purple straps on Donnie's shoulders? Shell and plastron not real or otherwise removable...?
i think those straps are for using one of those 'Magic Poop Collector' / 'Poop Trap' devices they were trying to sell to dog owners a while ago.

maybe this cartoon show is a new marketing strategy to try to bring them back?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #84
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
this design is really an eyesore!
let's just say hypothetically- the show is really funny, and well written.
(very doubtful by looking at this design, but let's say it anyway.)

staring at these overly vibrant clashing colors is serious eyestrain just waiting to happen!
Agreed. It's like the artist is a troll. Though call me crazy with a total recolor the form isn't terrible. Perhaps someone could give Don some toenail clippers too.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #85
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, based on the example of that color pallet, I keep wanting to scan an image or two from my grown up TMNT coloring book and digitally give it the Lisa Frank treatment. (Maybe a Mirage page, that would be hilarious since it doesn't suit it.)

Because if Donnie's coloration is any indication, I feel like a whole series that looks like that is going to look like a Lisa Frank TMNT show.

And if the guys don't recall what Lisa Frank is, it's this stuff, beloved by middle school girls for ages:
Spoiler:

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #86
myconius
Abby Normal

I feel like a whole series that looks like that is going to look like a Lisa Frank TMNT show.

And if the guys don't recall what Lisa Frank is, it's this stuff, beloved by middle school girls for ages:
Spoiler:

YIKES!!!!!!!

yup! they Lisa Frank'd it!!!

they Lisa Frank'd it to HECK!!!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #87
snake
Disgusting

Not sure where anyone is seeing a Lisa Frank influence because that stuff is way better looking and aesthetically pleasing than the bland CalArts style we saw.

Stop sh*tting on Lisa Frank too, that art is candy in physical form.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #88
myconius
Abby Normal

candy has been known to cause cavities and possibly lead to diabetes.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #89
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Maybe it's based off those terrifying figures that had removable shells.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #90
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I still disagree to that notion. While the 1990 film had some sprinkles of FW in it, it still was more successful than the sequels were. Even the most hardcore FW fans love the film and it was more Mirage than it was FW. This and Deadpool, being low-budget films, were successful enough at box office to make a profit. And if TMNT's fanbase is as small as some say it is, filmmakers should easily be able to do a darker take such as Mirage and there would likely be less complaints. As someone who works at a movie theater, surprisingly I saw a lot of kids being taken to see Deadpool by their parents. One boy and a girl even brought their own Deadpool dolls, which is odd. With a lot of fans having nostalgic feelings towards the original movie, something similar towards that direction would definitely get good buzz.

Beating a dead horse, if Batman can escape the camp association, so can TMNT. Anyone who says otherwise is selling this property short!
And the 4Kids TMNT took far more from Mirage than from Fred Wolf, and it became a bit of a cult favorite among action animation fans.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #91
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Not sure where anyone is seeing a Lisa Frank influence because that stuff is way better looking and aesthetically pleasing than the bland CalArts style we saw.

Stop sh*tting on Lisa Frank too, that art is candy in physical form.
Ain't nothin' against Lisa Frank, that stuff was around back when I was young enough to appreciate it, but I'd prefer the Turtles not look like a similarly psychedelic sugar trip.

And that bright pinky purple Donnie has going on there... Not to ninja-ish if your gear is as bright as reflective safety tape. lol I'm a little afraid that whoever ends up with the lightest green skin may end up looking like a glowing Turtle.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #92
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I still disagree to that notion. While the 1990 film had some sprinkles of FW in it, it still was more successful than the sequels were. Even the most hardcore FW fans love the film and it was more Mirage than it was FW. This and Deadpool, being low-budget films, were successful enough at box office to make a profit. And if TMNT's fanbase is as small as some say it is, filmmakers should easily be able to do a darker take such as Mirage and there would likely be less complaints. As someone who works at a movie theater, surprisingly I saw a lot of kids being taken to see Deadpool by their parents. One boy and a girl even brought their own Deadpool dolls, which is odd. With a lot of fans having nostalgic feelings towards the original movie, something similar towards that direction would definitely get good buzz.

Beating a dead horse, if Batman can escape the camp association, so can TMNT. Anyone who says otherwise is selling this property short!
My point never was how mirage 4kids was or was not, my point simply was 4kids is definitely a different animal than Mirage, and so were the movies.

Of course TMNT can escape camp, that wasn't my point. My point was how much TMNT had drifted from the source with the various incarnations, and how that continued drift is inevitable.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #93
Coola Yagami
Overlord

They don't hate us, they just don't care about us. We are not the target audience. The only adults Nick thinks buy TMNT merchandise are only doing so to shut their bratty kids up at the toy store.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
They don't hate us, they just don't care about us. We are not the target audience. The only adults Nick thinks buy TMNT merchandise are only doing so to shut their bratty kids up at the toy store.
That's not true at all. The IDW comics were greenlit for adults (everything that happens in it is a nod to older series only adults would know about) and half the toys made nowadays from all those other companies are aimed at collectors in the adult market.

The Nick cartoon was also written to be enjoyed by everyone of all ages.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's not true at all. The IDW comics were greenlit for adults
Why is Nick stepping in and making IDW censor it constantly, then? And Nickelodeon had nothing to do with the IDW comics beyond, "OK, we'll allow you to do this comic if you pay us X in licensing fees and give us veto power over every issue you put out."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #96
ABrown
Banned

Do they hate us? Nah, but they do need to copy off Disney's homework as to how to properly handle a popular franchise that they've purchased.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #97
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Do they hate us? Nah, but they do need to copy off Disney's homework as to how to properly handle a popular franchise that they've purchased.
Remake the first movie but pretend it's a sequel with Venus leading the team, then make an April O'Neil spinoff movie?

I dunno...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #98
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Remake the first movie but pretend it's a sequel with Venus leading the team, then make an April O'Neil spinoff movie?

I dunno...
True, but I'll take the Rebels cartoon over Nickelodeon's TMNT series. I guess I should really give more credit to Dave Filoni than Disney for that though.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #99
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
As a series it's an interesting time capsule of one kind of 90s comic.
Especially since there's a damn near straight line from that incarnation to what we've got from the PD flicks.
How is the Image series anything like the PD films?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #100
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
How is the Image series anything like the PD films?
Bias on the table, I've read more Savage Dragon and Vanguard than I did the TMNT run from Image, and I've only seen the first PD movie.

That said, the 'roided out physiques, and bombastic violence and action set pieces in the first PD movie are very reminiscent of similar things found in 90s era Image books. Which, to me, seemed to take the muscle-bound stuff from the Two Big and turn them up to 11.

ACTION! BRAWN! RAWR! to the ^nth degree.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cuck_blade, only_on_thursdays