Mad Scientist

TMNT Universe #21 Preview and Discussion

Full preview coming soon. First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can barely read the text, but it would be nice if the aftermath of the Triceratons is resolved in this 2-parter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh, who could have seen that coming?

The guy in the first panel gave me a pretty good laugh with his big ol' headphones.

I was able to read closer on the iTunes preview. And was immediately confused. Did the turtles tell Ma'riell that Krang was dead? Because Kleve and Montuoro never planned to.

Regardless, Don's opening dialogue is pretty suspenseful and I'm hyped to see where it goes. Likely to Ch'rell screwing up whatever peace Ma'riell and Zom try to make.

(Come on, ladies, you can do it!)

'Scuse me, are you taking a nap in the middle of what feels like an invasion, or holding a baby?

*Many hours later*
I may have realized that I was looking in the wrong place for the eye...

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-13-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:29 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

By downloading the sample on iTunes, it turns out the two parter is called "Lost Causes".

I'm looking at you, Ch'rell and Kleve.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Huh... So I guess the TPB doesn't get its "The Coming Doom" title from this arc after all?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

In that case...what in the world are Mike and Mondo going to find?

In the other case, I can relax my concerns for my girl Ma'riell's safety.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

This looks very interesting, I'm glad we're getting the aftermath of the Triceratons so quickly. Also really excited to see what the Utroms do next.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I pretty much saw that exact situation coming .

Don should probably bring Ma'riell a good, strong coffee at some point while she deals with all this.

But the design of their legs...

Legs for days . Looks like rubber stretchy toys that got left in the sun too long. I love it.

All things considered though, I do wonder what "aftermath" means. Especially with Universe being the line to fill in spaces and introduce characters when there isn't time otherwise. So I don't think anyone (important) is going to get killed. Nothing "HUGE" happens for the most part in the same way it does for the ongoing line.

Then again, Don's "Instead they got me" comment in his narration is a little disconcerting

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
The "new villain" was Kleve all along???
And maybe Drel?

A little disappointing on that side, but otherwise a pretty nice issue.

Maybe Ch'rell will come out in the next one...once Kleve gets the security stuff he's been wanting.

Whose idea was it to give the teenager the weird black champagne?

Pffff. Is that a knife in your hand or are you just happy to see him?

I'm also pretty surprised that thing didn't go all the way through Kleve's arm; that thing's huge in comparison!

There is a bit where it looks like some speech may have gone missing.

Because it looks like Kleve never finished speaking where he was supposed to.

With the...rather gruesome reveal at the end of the issue, I get the feeling that it's probably going to be even harder to find any Krang remains, if someone decides they want to make that basically impossible effort.

I do think that the summaries of both issues would efficiently cover the whole thing. Granted, with certain elements swapped.
#22's description was much more appropriate for this issue.
The setup for a "new villain" in this one's summary doesn't really come to conclusion (I'm pretty sure Kleve doesn't count), so that might be the case in the next.

While it was a pretty good read, it does feel like there were a few slips in production. Such as the aforementioned missing dialogue. And some of the character design creating situations in which it looks like Kleve has floating powers on two occasions .

Spoiler:
They don't really bring up what the Utroms have been eating in the negotiations, which might have been helpful for the conversation. They're obviously carnivores, but in their predicament, they've probably resorted to being pescitarians.

And given all the inedible parts that fish have...there's some solution to the plant problem.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-18-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This was a great issue. Really, really loved it. Can't wait for the conclusion! Donatello, Zom, and Mariell really have their hands/tentacles full...

Loved the backup, too... over the top, but fun.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

This is the kind of issue that makes me glad we have a second ongoing. Just perfect all around!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Seeing Kleve wrap himself around the Triceraton's face reminded me of this.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Seeing Kleve wrap himself around the Triceraton's face reminded me of this.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20141204145347
I was wondering if we'd see that, too...
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

This was a great issue, reminded me of Star Trek. The Triceratons are the Klingons, the war like race who are trying to be peaceful but its not in their nature, the Utroms are the Vulcans, and Donatello represents the Federation. I really loved the revelation that dead Utroms helped fertilize the land for the Triceratons food source.

Kleve being a bit of a villain is interesting too, I don't think Ch'rell will wake up anytime soon (honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they save him for post issue 100), and it was interesting to see all the distrust going on. The Woody back-up was fun too.

One last thing, what does, "Let's table this" mean? They said it like 5 times in the issue. I never heard that term before. "We cannot table this" etc...?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
One last thing, what does, "Let's table this" mean? They said it like 5 times in the issue. I never heard that term before. "We cannot table this" etc...?
Not sure, but from the context it means "Let's put this on the back burner".
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This was a great issue, reminded me of Star Trek. The Triceratons are the Klingons, the war like race who are trying to be peaceful but its not in their nature, the Utroms are the Vulcans, and Donatello represents the Federation. I really loved the revelation that dead Utroms helped fertilize the land for the Triceratons food source.

Kleve being a bit of a villain is interesting too, I don't think Ch'rell will wake up anytime soon (honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they save him for post issue 100), and it was interesting to see all the distrust going on. The Woody back-up was fun too.

To table something means to postpone it; to put off discussing it, and discuss less controversial matters first.

And yeah, Utrom fertilizer was a delightful plot twist...
Old 04-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Leatherhead has probably figured out the use of Utroms as fertilizer himself by now.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Like I said before, anything left of Krang is probably going to be impossible to find by the time they can get around to finding Leatherhead.
I did realize a rather morbid connection with that. Namely when Kleve states that the Triceratons are "used to fighting women and children". So...yeah, that situation got a whole lot worse.

I'm not so sure Kleve is quite worthy of "major villain" levels of antagonism enough to deserve the title that was set up in the summary. If we want to be a little more on the nose, he's not even the one that picked a fight with Drel; he was attacked and retaliated - and wasn't even able to leave a mark on him. (Gotta say though, his immediate change in attitude between Drel's escape and getting aid was great. "See ya later, b*tch"--"OH THE BRUTE!") switch Which is pretty much the worst he's done so far, aside from his sneaking around with the intention of freeing Ch'rell. Who would probably be far more active in doing actual harm to the Triceratons than Kleve would. All things considered, Drel was way more openly antagonistic from the start; you know he gave his rank just to get under that one Utrom's skin.

But...where did Montuoro go? He's pretty much been Kleve's toady for a while but he doesn't seem to be around at this point.

And Ma'riell's quills! They ended up not showing up in this issue.
(I came up with my own answer that they're keratinous in some way, so they can grow and be trimmed back, so at some point prior to everything going on, she just cut them down to the base as close as she could. I imagine they get in the way of a lot of things.)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-19-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #20
AlessandraDC
Thug

Great issue. I loved the dark humor in it. And the back story was hilarious!
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote