The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
Shogun26
Mad Scientist

I love my leo bust.
Shogun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #22
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I thought of another..

I had an opportunity to buy a Gobbledygook (#1 or #2, I can't remember) at a small Holiday Inn Convention around 1988. I was like 10-11 years old and a new TMNT fan. The dealer was hyping them up, but not knowing what it was (it had no TMNT appearances), I opted for a TMNT #3, 1st printing instead. And the Gobbledygook was the same price as the #3. I never had another opportunity to buy them for a cheap price again. If only...
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Ooh, I would love to see a photo of that! I still have a "messy" one sitting here that I never get around to cleaning up.
Sure!
Spoiler:

My other Shoulda/woulda/coulda is to have had my TurtleCon '92 lithograph signed, rather than trying to keep it pristine for posterity. Slowly but surely I'm getting that signed by the attendees....now long since after the fact.

I should really scan and show off the pictures I took that day.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 01-02-2018 at 08:56 PM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #24
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

I should really scan and show off the pictures I took that day.
Do it, Do it, Do it,
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #25
Roseangelo
Emperor

Thanks! That looks really great! So glad it found a good home.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #26
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

Playmates statues Raph and Don, waited to long to get them at the time the price was to high now the price would be amazing to get statues like those. Got leo and mikey tho. Mininum wage as a student was pretty bad back then.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #27
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Back in 2006 I passed on an entire set of fan made museum quality movie props that were sold on ebay for $2,500. This included all the turtles primary weapons, shredder's helmet, facemask and gauntlet, Kasey Jones mask and golf bag (filled with cricket bats, a Jose Censeco bat and a pair of golf clubs) Splinter's kimono, April O'Neil's press badge, and a pair of foot clan tonfa sticks and dragon doji. I'll never forget it..Those props made me drool and to this day I still have nothing but regret that those pieces are lost to time. I should have bought this stuff....but I was in college at the time and there was no way I could sneak this stuff into my dorm. Still...seeing Neca's offerings tends to take the sting out but now I'm not sure I even have the heart to buy weapons and props like I used to.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #28
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Maybe 6 or 7 years ago, someone on these forums was selling Mirage TMNT #1, first printing, in a UV protected frame. I'm pretty sure he asked $800, and I PMed him within about 15 minutes of it going up for sale.

Apparently a lot of other people also PMed him, and he did the sensible thing by exploring his options and accepting a higher offer. He gave me a chance to match, but I never actually asked what I was supposed to match to. I know I offered a little more, maybe $900, but it apparently wasn't enough and decided I couldn't spend that kind of money on a comic. The seller, to his credit, did send me some other first printing issues for free, which I thought was a nice gesture.

In hindsight, I should have offered a few hundred more, because I highly doubt I'll ever have a first printing issue, and if I do buy one it certainly won't be for anywhere near $1000.

Otherwise, I've generally found the things I was after or made peace with skipping on certain things. The episode with the comic still gnaws at me a little, though.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #29
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinacoladas View Post
Playmates statues Raph and Don, waited to long to get them at the time the price was to high now the price would be amazing to get statues like those. Got leo and mikey tho. Mininum wage as a student was pretty bad back then.
That reminds me of also being a student and having the foresight (and barely the savings) to buy 2 complete statue sets. The shoulda in question is that I shoulda held onto the 2nd set much longer before resale. Alas I was still a poor college student who had to move across the country, and 1 set of statues was bulky enough. After a horrid ebay experience where another seller pawning the same statues created a fake account to buy mine but never pay, I had to just rid them to the next highest bidder. With ebay and shipping fees I wound up only making around $40 profit. Not worth the hassle and hard to imagine what I could get for a complete unopened set now!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #30
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I wish I'd bought Funimation's half-season 2k3 DVDs (they only did seasons 1-2 IIRC) with my spare part time job money in high school instead of having gone through my anime fandom phase. I had no idea how rare those releases would soon become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote