The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
rocklobster13
Random Punk

I just found a bunch of really nice quality images of some of the color strips here.

Also it seems as though there may have been a collection of the remaining strips (1065-end) floating around in some obscure file sharing websites a few years back, because I've seen references to it in a few places. Can't find the actual file anywhere though...

Last edited by rocklobster13; 07-31-2015 at 09:15 PM.
rocklobster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Black and White North by Downeast ? Where did you find that ?
just me playing with photoshop but the first parts were originally in B&W in a few issues of Plastron Cafe
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

I've done a ton of legwork toward an archive of this strip- gocomics, contact with Berger & others, scanned from Comics Revues, scoured the wayback machine, flickr, and got some assists from folks here... then I hit the point in the last 1.5-2 years of the strip where no source presents itself and kind of lost steam.

I'll see if I can dust off the corner of my hard drive the project's in-- ah, found the last progress note I took:
TMNT Strip Archive is missing 344 weekday strips:
52 weekday strips for 1993
84 weekday strips for 1995
208 weekday strips for 1996

At some point early on the weekend strips became little more than fan art and eco-friendly Turtle Tips so I didn't rate those as crucial for the project so they aren't in the count, but have many of those and obviously all available should be included to assemble as complete an archive as manageable.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah, I think I have some of those weekend ones- and IIRC, they also contained puzzles and games. I'll have to hunt them down, but they should still be in the old scrapbook I made back then.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
I've done a ton of legwork toward an archive of this strip- gocomics, contact with Berger & others, scanned from Comics Revues, scoured the wayback machine, flickr, and got some assists from folks here... then I hit the point in the last 1.5-2 years of the strip where no source presents itself and kind of lost steam.

I'll see if I can dust off the corner of my hard drive the project's in-- ah, found the last progress note I took:
TMNT Strip Archive is missing 344 weekday strips:
52 weekday strips for 1993
84 weekday strips for 1995
208 weekday strips for 1996

At some point early on the weekend strips became little more than fan art and eco-friendly Turtle Tips so I didn't rate those as crucial for the project so they aren't in the count, but have many of those and obviously all available should be included to assemble as complete an archive as manageable.
I've been compiling as many as I can find...I suspect that most of the sources that I've found are the same ones you have used in the past, as I've had very similar luck. Regardless, I would be interested to see what you've dug up.

I haven't counted exactly, but I'm missing (excluding the weekend strips): 1 from 92, about 50ish from 93, 2 from 94, 100ish from 95, and a bunch from 96, probably about 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah, I think I have some of those weekend ones- and IIRC, they also contained puzzles and games. I'll have to hunt them down, but they should still be in the old scrapbook I made back then.
It would be fantastic if you would be willing to share this stuff. I haven't been able to find many of the weekend ones, and the collector in me would love to get them, even if they are mostly puzzles and fan-art and whatnot.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Here's my thought on the best way to find copies of those 1995-1996 newspaper strips.

Berger thought that newspapers geographically close to Northampton, MA would be the most likely ones to have carried the strip until its end.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette is a long-running current paper for the Northampton region. Find a microfilm reel of that paper during those years, and you'd be able to view or even copy the comic strips if they appeared.

The Forbes Library in Northampton does appear to have a full run of the paper on microfilm. Anybody wanna do some advanced research?
http://forbeslibrary.org/research/lo...m-collections/
So I have a bit of news about this...unfortunately not good news.

I contacted the people at Forbes library in Northampton and explained the situation. They offered to check 3 dates of the Daily Hampshire Gazette to see if the strip appeared. So I had them check the first date of the strip (12/10/90), the last date of the strip (12/31/1996), and one other date in between (1/3/1995).

I got an email back today saying that they checked the paper for these days and didn't see the strip. They apparently looked through both the comics sections as well as the other pages and didn't find anything.

I suppose it's possible that whoever checked for me looked quickly and just missed it, but judging by the email that I got it seemed like they checked pretty thoroughly.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Hampshire Gazette didn't run the strip at all, but I would say that the chances of that particular paper having the full run are slim. Regardless, it may still be worth someone checking it out in person.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #27
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Archive.org has a newspapers section but I don't know how well stocked it is. Anyone looked around there?

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster13 View Post
So I have a bit of news about this...unfortunately not good news.

I contacted the people at Forbes library in Northampton and explained the situation. They offered to check 3 dates of the Daily Hampshire Gazette to see if the strip appeared. So I had them check the first date of the strip (12/10/90), the last date of the strip (12/31/1996), and one other date in between (1/3/1995).

I got an email back today saying that they checked the paper for these days and didn't see the strip. They apparently looked through both the comics sections as well as the other pages and didn't find anything.

I suppose it's possible that whoever checked for me looked quickly and just missed it, but judging by the email that I got it seemed like they checked pretty thoroughly.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Hampshire Gazette didn't run the strip at all, but I would say that the chances of that particular paper having the full run are slim. Regardless, it may still be worth someone checking it out in person.
Wow, thank you for checking on this! And credit to the Forbes library staff for actually checking the microfilm for random comics sections. I work in a library and have never gotten a request like that!

Too bad though, I really figured the Hampshire Gazette would be a prime candidate for running the TMNT strips.

Maybe Wikipedia can provide some other local options:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Massachusetts

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

Word, very cool of you to take the initiative on that. Sorry it didn't yield positive results.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #30
rocklobster13
Random Punk

So I found out that google has a fairly large archive of newspapers https://news.google.com/newspapers, so I've been parsing these to see if I can find anything. So far, I've only found one newspaper (The Pittsburgh Press) that had the comic strip printed at all. I was able to pull of a few of the weekend strips that I didn't have previously, but unfortunately paper ceased publication in 1992 and we already have pretty much all of them from this period.

I'm finding that 1) archives that have full scans of newspapers are hard to find, 2) archives that have full scans of papers from the 90's are harder to find, and 3) archives that are also free to look at are even harder still to find.

I feel like it will take an incredible stroke of luck to find anything by just randomly searching through old newspapers... I really wish that we could figure out a specific paper that had the full run so that we could narrow the search, but no one seems to know this and I can't think of who else to ask.

Do any of you know of specific papers that had the strip at any point in time? Like I said, the only one that I've found so far is the Pittsburgh Press.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #31
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Found another paper on the google archive that had the strip...a paper called the Deseret News (Utah). Didn't have the full run, but does have quite a few of the daily strips from 93 that I didn't previously have
Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #32
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster13 View Post
Found another paper on the google archive that had the strip...a paper called the Deseret News (Utah). Didn't have the full run, but does have quite a few of the daily strips from 93 that I didn't previously have
Sounds like Progress!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #33
Diorm
Hench Mutant

I may be slow and not really good in english but I really don't understand how you can keep track of what you got and what you are missing.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #34
funatic
Mad Scientist

just found this blurb from TMNT Magazine circa 1991:

wouldn't that have been nice...

EDIT: unrelated but interesting, this pic was on the same page. If we anyone knew what Steven Murphy looked like back then his Dean "Clarrain" cover would've been quickly blown!

Last edited by funatic; 08-20-2015 at 11:56 AM.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #35
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
just found this blurb from TMNT Magazine circa 1991:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2ufbxvp.jpg
wouldn't that have been nice...
Well if IDW gets one printed all will be forgiven. You guys are doing all the leg work for them.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #36
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Rocklobster, I just had a thought- back when I was collecting the Sunday strips, the paper they were in had the full run of both dailies and the weekend strips. It was the Dallas Times Herald, I believe, before the Dallas Morning News bought it out. If you can find archives of the Herald, you might find at least some of the ones you're missing. I don't remember how long they ran it for, but it's worth a try!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #37
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Rocklobster, I just had a thought- back when I was collecting the Sunday strips, the paper they were in had the full run of both dailies and the weekend strips. It was the Dallas Times Herald, I believe, before the Dallas Morning News bought it out. If you can find archives of the Herald, you might find at least some of the ones you're missing. I don't remember how long they ran it for, but it's worth a try!
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I'll be able to find an archive online, but I'll look into it.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #38
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

I have some of the original art to the strips that I got from Murphy a few years back, I'm pretty sure they are all pre-1994, let me know which ones specifically you're missing and I'll see if I own the artwork and get them scanned and send you a digital file copy.

Any word on if IDW has any plans of printing a set of Newspaper Strip HC collections? They're Superman Newspaper Comic strip HC's are gorgeous. I've been on Bobby for about 3-4 years now about reprinting those, I'm sure he's tired of hearing from me about an update ha.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #39
miru
Mad Scientist

Looking at the strips, I do like the toy-accurate Space Usagi and the Hothead grilling burgers. I heard there were some really obscure characters that showed up in these strips, like some who were otherwise toy-only.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #40
rocklobster13
Random Punk

So I just wanted to give you guys an update, in case anyone is following along at home...

I've been parsing through some online newspaper archives and although I still haven't been able to find a full run of the strips, I have found some papers that have partial runs. As it stands, I have been able to round up all of the strips (in some form or another) from 90-92, including the Saturday/Sunday strips. The quality isn't the best on some of them and I only have black and white versions of most of the color ones, but it's better than what we had before.

As for the other years, here is my latest count of the strips that I do NOT have:

93: missing 11 weekday, 29 saturdays, 20 sundays
94: missing 2 weekday, pretty much all the weekend strips
95: missing 107 weekday, pretty much all weekend strips
96: missing 208 weekday, pretty much all weekend strips.

I'm currently working on organizing the strips that I have and compiling them into one coherent document. Once I finish, I will definitely make them available (provided that I have permission to post them). There's a lot of them, so it will take me a while to put them together, but I promise that I'll get them out eventually.

Tags
newspaper strips