The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Games you didn't have much expectations for but surprisingly ended up enjoying them

Title says it all. We all have games we more or less know what to expect from, but then there's others where we don't really know what to expect and just say "ah f*ck it, let's see how it is. How bad can it be?"... and then they surprise us in a positive way.

A few ones that come to my mind:

Animal Crossing - I didn't know what it was at all until I saw my brother playing it on GameCube one day in 2007. Some years later I remembered its existence and decided to play it myself too... and ended up liking it a lot.

Deus EX Human Revolution: Deus Ex is not exactly an obscure game series, but I've never had played it at all until 2012 when I got this game for like 2 euro from Steam. I am not into shooters, but was told this one was different since it had RPG and stealth elements and you weren't forced to shoot and kill most of your enemies. Since the price was ridiculously cheap for a quite new game at the time I decided to give it a try... and liked it a lot.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Ok, you're all thinking now "what?!"... well you see, I didn't get the chance to play the N64 Smash game, even though it looked interesting to me. As for the GameCube title, I didn't know of it until I saw it in a store around Christmas 2002, let alone if it was good or not. I was only 12 at the time, so it's not like I was very aware of what was going on in the gaming world yet.

Now, I'm not saying I expected the game to be mediocre. I assumed it was gonna be good. For a 12 year old massive Nintendo fan like I was, I obviously knew it was gonna be decent enough... but didn't really expect it to arguably be the best Nintendo GameCube game ever and that the Smash series would become a huge thing. The N64 one made some impact, but it isn't the first N64 title you think of when you think of the console. The GameCube game took it to another level.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote