The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #461
Vegita-San
Emperor

at least the shill sites are trying to organize with a message 'it's a good thing'.

smh.

Lets see how long that lasts if no one comes out for episode 9, because there isn't much to come back for.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #462
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Han Solo is bombing but that's a good thing.
No spoiler, just a large image:
https://i.redd.it/pg7wm8a62q011.jpg

Is the pro-Marvel anti-DC bias really so crazy? Yes, Marvel is doing good and DC bad all around but I do think the media has exaggerated this.
Holy shoot, that spoiler image is hilarious. And a bit maddening.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #463
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Lets see how long that lasts if no one comes out for episode 9, because there isn't much to come back for.
There actually isn't. I mean, think about it. After "Last Jedi," what is there to look forward to? I mean, what, Kylo getting killed? We don't even hate him. The fall of the First Order? We don't care about it, or even know what it is.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #464
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's one of the reasons I hope Kylo Ren survives Episode 9. They put a lot of work into his character and it's a waste to kill him off after only 3 movies. I don't want him to be redeemed either, just have him fly off into space in isolation on some planet or somewhere till their ready to use him again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #465
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Cowards? How?
It's the ballsiest thing they've done since they acquired the rights and the most interesting thing they could have done with her. Everyone expected her to be either Lukes kid or some other half baked idea. Giving her a famous family would only increase the claims of Mary Sue, as well. If they walk it back, we already know why and it has nothing to do with it being a better story.

Anyway, if natural talent and ridiculous power with little training makes Star Wars a sham, then it's always been one. We accept the Skywalkers, but when you look at what they can do with little to no training and view it plainly without taking into account the nature of protagonists, they're kind of ridiculous. The only reason people don't get pissed about Anakin is because of his connection to Luke and knowing where his story goes. Imagine if we met him first. We love Luke, but he blows up a moon sized space station by firing a torpedo down an exhaust shaft barely big enough without a targeting computer because The Force. Among other things.

But even ignoring that, making her family famous, powerful force users doesn't fix that Kylo Ren fight, which is where most of the complaints are. She still has zero training. Being good in the force shouldn't mean you suddenly know how to swordfight against someone with formal training. There really is no fixing it. I can suspend disbelief enough to say she could go over Kylo because he was pretty injured, enough that Finn could hold him off for a bit, but she should have looked sloppier at least. I don't know. It was a bit stupid, but that's my opinion of Force Awakens in a nutshell. Other than that, she doesn't do much. In that film or The Last Jedi.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #466
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #467
Vegita-San
Emperor

the comments are wonderful

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...es-1202825432/

Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #468
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Han Solo is bombing but that's a good thing.
No spoiler, just a large image:
https://i.redd.it/pg7wm8a62q011.jpg

Is the pro-Marvel anti-DC bias really so crazy? Yes, Marvel is doing good and DC bad all around but I do think the media has exaggerated this.
Haha, that's a good thing, indeed!

Quote:
Professional movie critics are very much a doom-and-gloom crowd. They can't ever blame something on the merits of faults of an actual film, but have to kick around the epistemological questions about life, the universe, and everything.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #469
CyberCubed
Overlord

The movie didn't do well simply because Harrison Ford was recast as Han Solo. That was basically it. Obviously a 76+ year old Harrison Ford couldn't play his younger self but that's why the movie should have never been greenlit to begin with.

You don't recast the original iconic characters. Rogue One did fairly well and if they make the Obi-Wan movie I'm sure it'll do fairly well. It had everything to do with the lack of Harrison Ford.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #470
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The movie didn't do well simply because Harrison Ford was recast as Han Solo. That was basically it. Obviously a 76+ year old Harrison Ford couldn't play his younger self but that's why the movie should have never been greenlit to begin with.

You don't recast the original iconic characters. Rogue One did fairly well and if they make the Obi-Wan movie I'm sure it'll do fairly well. It had everything to do with the lack of Harrison Ford.
And that's why the new Star Trek movies did terribly. And all of the James Bond movies. And the Batman movies.

Recasting never works. Duh.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #471
CyberCubed
Overlord

The difference is nobody ever expect Harrison Ford to be recast as Han Solo.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #472
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I haven't watched the Red Letter Media review posted above yet, but I probably should. I heard they actually liked it, which is surprising because they've been cold on everything Star Wars under Disney. So I'm interested in hearing what they have to say about this.

Quote:
The movie didn't do well simply because Harrison Ford was recast as Han Solo.
Everyone's going to blame this on their pet grievance with the franchise, but s***, no, this was never going to do the business they wanted for reasons beyond just that. I didn't expect it to be doing quite so poorly for a Star Wars film - and I expected it to make a profit, at least, not look like it was going to simply break even - but it wasn't going to do well for numerous reasons.

No one cares, for one thing. I mean, they care a bit, because Han Solo, but prequels are a tough beast to begin with, because the audience already knows where it's going. You have to rely on interesting plots and character development to better inform a story people already know the ending to. Han Solo's dead, after all, so there's no chance anything they introduce affects him in the "present" of the franchise and, since those stories already happened, they can't pop up or play into the stories we know best. If he was still alive, maybe we'd be talking, but otherwise most people instinctively know the Solo film was just going to be fanservice. Either what's introduced doesn't affect Solo at all or all the effects happen before the Original Trilogy. It's a rough sell. It can absolutely work and there's nothing wrong with a cool past story showing the past of a favorite characters, but this one was working with a few disadvantages.

The fan service is a wider issue. There's a lazy thing some prequels do where, instead of worrying about it's own thing or its own story, it's too wrapped up in nostalgia or explaining things that never needed an explanation. Like Professor X having an origin story for going bald. It can't be that he just has male pattern baldness and lost his hair. I think everyone joked that this film was going to have things like the Kessel Run, Sabbac, Han winning the ship from Lando, probably a force user somewhere, etc. From what I hear, that's exactly how it turned out. They even gave Han's last name an origin story like Professor X going bald, because a guys last name needs that. Next we'll find out how the name Skywalker came to be. Most people aren't sure if they want the heavy fan service or not, either.

More importantly than all that, though, is the pre-release. We knew every stage of the behind the camera drama, the lost directors, the rewrites and re-shoots. Solo sounded like a disaster in the making and most people knew that. Everyone figured it was going to be bad. That leaves a lot of people deciding to stay home or see some of the other films. It's not like Solo's surrounded by nothing.

On top of that, it sounds like the film doesn't really inform the character any or show development? I haven't seen it myself, but I've talked to friends who have, and it sounds like Han is just Han, fully formed, which is a weird direction to go. Usually the point of a prequel is to show what led to certain developments or attitudes. The Prequel Trilogy was essentially the story of Anakin Skywalker turning into Darth Vader, for example. There's a reason Year One stories work for Batman and no one can make them work for Superman, for example; Batmans first year has him clumsier, with less skill and on the job training, so he can screw up and learn things while Superman, unless we're talking the New 52 version, is the same at his first year as he is the present day.

I'm not sure about the re-casting Han Solo thing, though. As CKDOM pointed out, it's been done a lot and worked out fine. The issue is, can the person really capture the character? Even the studios were worried about this guys acting, which seems to be why they got an acting coach and re-shot half the movie. I don't know how it panned out in the actual film - friends tell me that, whatever they did to turn it around, he's perfectly alright as Han in Solo, but I haven't seen for myself and I'm skipping it anyway - but it was a concern. But far from the ONLY concern.

Quote:
I don't think anyone ever expected Kirk and Spock to be recast before it happened either. I wasn't alive then to know, but I assume the same went for James Bond. Not saying it wasn't going to be an issue, but if it worked no one was going to remember the reluctance.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #473
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And no one expected Chris Pine to be recast as Captain Kirk, yet here we are.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #474
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
And no one expected Chris Pine to be recast as Captain Kirk, yet here we are.
Yes, here we are... RIP, Star Trek.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #475
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yes, here we are... RIP, Star Trek.
I take it you're not a fan of the reboot films?

I thought the first was okay and Into Darkness kind of dumb, but I really enjoyed Beyond.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #476
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I'm not sure if Lucasfilm had any intention of doing this but Solo bombing at the box office would probably halt any plans to recast Ford and do any Indiana Jones movies after Indy V.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #477
Vegita-San
Emperor

i'd like to think the solo boycott had something to do with the low returns.

and that lucasfilm is now very worried about episode 9.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #478
newfan
Mad Scientist

I can see the Ford argument to a point but I thinks it's also SW fatigue
ST recasting didn't put me off going to see those movies.

As for ep 9 (commented above) I wonder if we will know what was the planned story (if much had been written before Carrie passed away?)

Last edited by newfan; 06-02-2018 at 04:33 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #479
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

and that lucasfilm is now very worried about episode 9.
No they aren't. Nobody in their right mind would be comparing the sales of a spinoff movie with a main series movie like Episode 9.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #480
Shark_Blade
Emperor

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...for-8m-friday/

Box Office: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Plunges 77% For $8M Friday

As is often the case, a soft opening, a negative media narrative, lack of buzzy elements and relative audience indifference is leading to a huge drop for a movie that didn’t open all that great to begin with. Walt Disney and Lucasfilm’s ill-advised and ill-fated Han Solo prequel flick earned just $8.153 million on its second Friday of domestic release. That’s a huge 77.2% drop from its not-great $35.6m Friday (which included $14.1m in Thursday previews) and it gives the film just $127.745m in eight days of domestic release.

That’s a slightly larger drop than the 76% Friday-to-Friday fall of The Last Jedi, and this Star Wars story won’t have two weeks of “Christmas-to-New Year’s” holiday play to boost those numbers. With the always-present caveat that A) Disney will still be fine thanks to the MCU, Pixar and the like and B) Lucasfilm will be fine with the $4.5 billion they’ve already grossed from the first three new Star Wars films, this is an ugly run. The film should earn $28m over the weekend for a grisly 67% drop and a mere $148m ten-day total.

That’s sad though I quite enjoy the film.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autismawareness, cubedwannacracker, cuck solo, snake the true fan, snake vs tfa, snake vs the world, solo a sjw story