The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Your unpopular TMNT opinions

In such a divided fandom as TMNT, I'm sure some people will have A LOT to say. It can be about anything TMNT related. From the comics, to the cartoons, to the video games, to the merchandise, to Coming Out of Their Shells and to even the anime OVA.

But tbh, I don't think I have THAT many unpopular TMNT opinions myself, come to think about it. Lemme see...

I like Carter: Yes, I do. I know most fans don't like or care about him, but I think he was OK. And wouldn't mind seeing him again one day if done right.

Making April younger and then Black was absurd: April was fine being a woman in her 20s. it's not like the Turtles in Mirage, FW or 2k3 acted like human 15-16 year olds do. So I've never seen anything odd about their friendship with April. Making both her and the Turtles younger is a decision I didn't like. And making her Black out of pure tokenistic reasons was also absurd. A lot of history revisionism has been spread on these forums "April being Black all along!".

I'm not a fan of Slash or the concept itself: More than 4 mutant Turtles is a no-no for me. That's all.

Turtles in Time, while a pretty good game, is rather overrated: I remember ScrewAttack listing it #1 in their "best beat 'em ups ever" top 10 in like 2007 or so and suddenly a lot of people online saying that as well. Come on now, it was a fun game, but I consider Final Fight and Streets of Rage superior. Plus, I'd argue that the original TMNT Arcade game is superior to both the Arcade and SNES versions of Turtles in Time.

The hell with Bay Turtles: Now you're gonna tell me "Huh OP, a lot of us hate those too". Well sure, but A LOT of people watched them and liked them. Hell, there's people on these forums that have admitted to have WILLINGLY PAID to watch those movies several times at the cinema. Like buying 3-4 tickets to re-watch them.

Booyakasha is a terrible catchphrase for the TMNT: Not that Cowabunga was exactly original back then either, but you could say it was them alongside The Simpsons who made ti mainstream. While, when you think of Booyakasha, Ali G is who springs to your mind. I like Ali G and all, but the last thing on my mind while watching Ali G or anything Sasha Baron Cohen is TMNT. Honestly, what was wrong with cowabunga? Is it because it was old and outdated? Well, booyaasha wasn't exactly hip in 2012 anymore either. Ali G stopped being cool in like... 2005? The TMNT Nick toon is from 2012.

What makes some of these opinions unpopular? Well, I use these forums as a barometer for what more "hardcore" TMNT fans think. 99% of TMNT fans I see outside of this place are the "FW and first 3 movies only" variety. So...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote