Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
bushido
Stone Warrior

TMNT Universe #18 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Mikey listing every human who knows about the Turtles is gold. Pure gold.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

This looks like it's going to be a comedy based issue. Kind of reminds me of those random Mirage Tales issues where the Turtles stumble onto something bigger than their own and just have some random moments.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
funatic
Mad Scientist

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT...

This looks fun. I have a feeling I’ll be in the minority but digging this art style, feels kind of like Chris Ware doing TMNT. Love the layouts on those last couple pages. I’m all for Universe taking a kind of Tales v2 approach bringing fresh new takes artistically to the Turtles while still keeping everything canon plotwise.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"There's lots of humans, there's my dad, Connie, Lars and Sadie, the mailman, Onion... I think... lots of people."

Something looks very off about the way those kids are designed, but I really feel for their mom.

A lot about the layout reminds me of Jeff Smith's layout style.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of funny the TMNT try to keep their existence a secret yet every major human character discovers them. They also forgot April's parents, Kara Lewis, Harold's wife, Bishop, the Darkwater Agents, etc.

Sure the general public is unknown by them, but TMNT "keeping to the shadows" means little if "500 members of the Foot Clan know where they live" aka Leo from TMNT II.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well I just read the issue, and it was a lighthearted comedy issue like I expected. It really did feel similar to the old Mirage Tales of the TMNT stories, where the Turtles just get into a bunch of mischief with random filler characters and all is settled in one-shot fashion.

I liked the Turtles dressing up in weird monster costumes, reminded me of all the Playmates toys. Fun filler issue.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I really thought I was going to like this. But I did not.

It felt like a really, really dumb cartoon episode, like Nick or Fred Wolf TMNT. Hey, none of our increasingly ridiculous escape ideas are good! Hey, let's dress up in silly Playmates variant costumes! Let's have the kids be smarter than the Turtles! Let's stick a plunger to Leo's face!

Zany! Wacky! Fun for the whole family!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

It did kind of feel like a story that was probably pitched for Nick Animated Adventures for IDW, but then after the series ended they re-tooled it to fit the IDW universe.

I loved the back-up showing Mutagen Man trying to "get back on his feet." I kind of like it if he's just a head in a jar for awhile.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It did kind of feel like a story that was probably pitched for Nick Animated Adventures for IDW, but then after the series ended they re-tooled it to fit the IDW universe.

I loved the back-up showing Mutagen Man trying to "get back on his feet." I kind of like it if he's just a head in a jar for awhile.
I didn't even think of that, but yeah... that seems really likely. UGH.

But at least I can't complain about the Mutanimals backup.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, that's a pretty good description of this story.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Reposting my thoughts from the other thread since I apparently put it in the wrong place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Is "Maintenance" supposed to be misspelled in the title to the back-up story? It was an interesting little vignette, in any case. It was nice seeing the Mutanimals and Dialynas' art again. I wonder when we'll see Seymour and the rest of the Mutanimals again in the main series

The main story was pretty good too; I liked the lighter tone. I didn't like the mom's or kids' writing but it's not a super crucial issue so it's cool. I also didn't really get the final scene where Raph is saying something heartfelt and Mikey just kinda dumbly laughs until Raph tries to kick him. That could have been handled better. All in all though, I liked the issue. Solid B, at least. Maybe B+, depending on how I feel after another read-through.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

First story awfull - ugly art, primitive writing. Second story is nice, enjoyable!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Bobby should have scrapped the main story and artist and expanded "Maintenance" to a full issue.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually wonder what they're going to do with Mutagen Man. Seems like of a "one and done" character. Now that he has no body anymore I wonder where they can take him besides building him a robot suit to move around in.

He's basically just one of those characters who feels like he's a monster who shouldn't exist, it'll be interesting to see where he goes. All the other Mutanimals are basically happy or "fun loving heroes" and Seymour doesn't mix with that.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I actually wonder what they're going to do with Mutagen Man. Seems like of a "one and done" character. Now that he has no body anymore I wonder where they can take him besides building him a robot suit to move around in.

He's basically just one of those characters who feels like he's a monster who shouldn't exist, it'll be interesting to see where he goes. All the other Mutanimals are basically happy or "fun loving heroes" and Seymour doesn't mix with that.
I really wish they (that is, Bobby and the IDW team) would've let him blow himself up in the mini-series. Woulda really added some pathos.

Also, there is NOWHERE for Mutagen Man to go that doesn't seriously strain believably. And yes, yes, this IS a comic about mutant turtle reincarnated ninjas and aliens. I know. But Mutagen Man as an ongoing character breaks my willing suspension of disbelief.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
qt.bangerang
Foot Soldier

Back up was great. Main issue was garbage. The art wasn't good, the kids didn't look right, poor Don looked awful, and the writing and story as a whole didn't belong...it made the Turtles look like idiots...shouldn't they be improving and getting smarter not the other way around.
qt.bangerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #18
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Nah, it was intended for this from the start.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for some folks. We definitely knew we were doing something a bit different, ha. And I do appreciate hearing everyone's critique and analysis, as always. This forum rocks!
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I didn't mind the first story, TMNT should never get too 'full of itself.' It is, fundamentally, a weird and silly idea wrapped in a gritty burrito.

The art in the first story, in places, took me out a bit. I like the attempts to get creative with the overhead view, etc but then little bits like Donatello's head on page 3 give me pause.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Surprised everyone here didn't like the art in this issue but seeing how I enjoyed 4 kids walk into a bank so this was a pleasant surprise for me, though I agree the story is meh