The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #21
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Most Americans have to get by with a car. Remember also that cars and gasoline here in the USA are substantially cheaper (right now it's about $2.80/gallon that already includes taxes). One can get by with public transportation in the suburbs and in safe cities (forget about it in crime rampant cities like St. Louis, Missouri or Detroit, Michigan as they can be undependable and not safe), but public transportation is still seen as very inconvenient (in getting to work and errand run shopping) if one can afford a car and gas. Though in densely packed cities like New York City (with very high parking costs and/or limited parking spots) or Chicago, it's seen as impractical to bring the car to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Can't they control themselves? I can understand if it's teenage girls or something... but grown ups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, they're called young women

...Ok, some young women. Don't want the usual suspects to call me sexist or anything

But I doubt most people are like that. I'm pretty cheap, I'd say. I see a lot of stuff I like in shops but rarely do I pull the trigger and make a purchase, since I can't "justify" most items I see on sale. It's like 90% of my money goes to bills and groceries.
You'd be surprised how much credit card debt Americans have, and the consumerism culture.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...dit-card-debt/
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Most Americans have to get by with a car. Remember also that cars and gasoline here in the USA are substantially cheaper (right now it's about $2.80/gallon that already includes taxes). One can get by with public transportation in the suburbs and in safe cities (forget about it in crime rampant cities like St. Louis, Missouri or Detroit, Michigan as they can be undependable and not safe), but public transportation is still seen as very inconvenient (in getting to work and errand run shopping) if one can afford a car and gas. Though in densely packed cities like New York City (with very high parking costs and/or limited parking spots) or Chicago, it's seen as impractical to bring the car to the city.

You'd be surprised how much credit card debt Americans have, and the consumerism culture.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...dit-card-debt/
Actually, the guy I quoted, Original TMNT Fan, is from Sweden. So the whole consumerism thing isn't really an exclusive American problem by any means.

But your point probably still stands. At least regarding credit card debt.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #23
Sumac
Banned

I like walking.
My previous jobs were in the delivery services, so I was walking a lot. I like it - you see new places, new faces and in general feel the passage of time. Much better than sitting in the office all day, I have tried it too and was nearly driven insane.

But even without a job I love to take a long walks, sometimes unnecessary.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote