The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #201
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I, for one, have missed the hell out of you!
That makes two of us!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #202
Igglet
Hench Mutant

Right, I reread the Mondo issues. I still don't think they're bad. The story doesn't frame it as Mondo doing the right thing - as a matter of fact, it showed him as being an absolute nutcase, and everyone does call him out on that. And him acting insane was perfectly understandable, I'd argue. Honestly, MY gripe with the arc was that Mikey and Mondo just walked into Bishop's base, makes him look less competent.

Though we're getting way off-topic here. Maybe make a new thread to discuss IDW's missteps?
Igglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #203
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
(...) Bishop's base (...)
Did you get a good look at the name on the front gate, though?

Quote:
Though we're getting way off-topic here. Maybe make a new thread to discuss IDW's missteps?
Gonna be a short thread.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #204
Igglet
Hench Mutant

That's true, but I do think my point still stands.

Also, I think there's some issues that haven't been discussed so much. I spent like half an hour yesterday writing a rant about some stuff I personally disliked that hasn't been talked about all that much, but ended up going "Eh, screw it" and deleted it all since it was late and my head was a mess.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #205
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

I say go for it, it can't do any harm so long as it doesn't get too negative in there.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #206
funatic
Mad Scientist

I just read the road to 100 section in the back again and thought it was worth mentioning here that Tom's reasoning for the Mutanimals personalities was based on their pet shop environments (i.e. gecko Mondo hanging with a hippie/skater and crab Herman watching war flicks with an Army vet). Were we debating whether they were reincarnations like the turtles at one point? This suggests otherwise, but since it hasn't been mentioned in the actual story I wouldn't consider it canon.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #207
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
I just read the road to 100 section in the back again and thought it was worth mentioning here that Tom's reasoning for the Mutanimals personalities was based on their pet shop environments (i.e. gecko Mondo hanging with a hippie/skater and crab Herman watching war flicks with an Army vet). Were we debating whether they were reincarnations like the turtles at one point? This suggests otherwise, but since it hasn't been mentioned in the actual story I wouldn't consider it canon.
I DO remember debating that, but I like Tom's reasoning. It's enough for me to close the books on that particular case in my mind.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #208
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Mannnnn this issue at the end was amazing. Reminds me of the script I read I believe from Andrews tent site along time ago about the canceled 90s tmnt movie and the story of the 5thturtle.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #209
corvus
Stone Warrior

Incels hate it. So i love it now.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #210
CyberCubed
Overlord

Come to think of it I wonder why they didn't make Jennika into Mona Lisa rather than another Turtle. A female Turtle is of course controversial, but Mona Lisa who is a salamander would be just yet another old character reinvented.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #211
Igglet
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Come to think of it I wonder why they didn't make Jennika into Mona Lisa rather than another Turtle. A female Turtle is of course controversial, but Mona Lisa who is a salamander would be just yet another old character reinvented.
Because they WANTED her to be a new TMNT and not just another old character reinvented.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #212
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Quote:
Because they WANTED her to be a new TMNT and not just another old character reinvented.
i like this, although my initial thought was Venus!!!! lol
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #213
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I still hope to see IDW Mona Lisa at some point in the future, though. There hasn't really been a Turtles in Space arc yet.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #214
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant

The Q&A thread suggests to me they've wanted to bring in a female turtle for awhile, and if you're going to do that, you definitely want to start from scratch. Jennika being an original character for IDW works for that.

I realize Mona Lisa has been done different ways, but neither the alien salamander warrior nor spunky college student really match with Jennika's personality. I could warm to a salamander/lizard ninja Jennika but why would she be named Mona Lisa at all then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I still hope to see IDW Mona Lisa at some point in the future, though. There hasn't really been a Turtles in Space arc yet.
As I don't have the aversion to more mutants (I got a kick out of the mutant dominated future Manhattan from the Time Travel mini-series) The problem of course is that she's always been largely defined as a love interest of Raph and he already has Alopex. I mean, I don't mind a love triangle but...

She'd probably work more as a bit character at some point. I've actually had an idea for IDW Mona Lisa rolling around in my head for awhile but I'm pretty sure 90% of you would hate it

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 07-11-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #215
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I did a design for a hypothetical IDW Mona Lisa a few years ago, I think it could still work!!

I definitely prefer the original mutant Mona Lisa than the 2012 alien one.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #216
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
I did a design for a hypothetical IDW Mona Lisa a few years ago, I think it could still work!!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/2615eadc...f3oqo3_540.jpg

I definitely prefer the original mutant Mona Lisa than the 2012 alien one.
Brilliant! The only thing off is the skin color, though. Hardly any, if any at all, salamander species have such a vibrant green skin. She could use a different color (black with yellow spots?) to differentiate her more from Mondo and the Turtles themselves. Otherwise, brilliant!

For reference:

Spoiler:

I particularly like the "eyebrows" on this little fellow. Plus, the yellow on the paws and around the fingers could be made to look like "painted-on" fingerless gloves of sorts. So many possibilities!

Last edited by ChosenOne; 07-11-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #217
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant

Very nice! I like the touch of the gills. Is the hair actually hair or some kind of fin pulled back?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #218
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Hmmm yeah maybe an overall yellow tone would be cool, there aren't any other predominantly yellow characters in the comic, are there? And something else besides green would help differentiate her from the Turtles. I'll try a new sketch with yellow and black! Or maybe red?

And yeah I was thinking her "hair" was like fins or some kind of plumage like how olms have those feathery things on their heads. I felt like the 2012 Mona Lisa strayed too far from the original design but at the same time the original having a full head of nicely-styled human hair is kinda stupid, so I thought there had to be a good middleground.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #219
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Hmmm yeah maybe an overall yellow tone would be cool, there aren't any other predominantly yellow characters in the comic, are there? And something else besides green would help differentiate her from the Turtles. I'll try a new sketch with yellow and black! Or maybe red?
I don't think there are any predominantly yellow characters, no. At least I can't remember any. April might occasionally wear yellow clothes but that's it. Now there's Jennika with her yellow bandana but black skin helps offset the similarity. Red, on the other hand, is common on Foot-related characters so it wouldn't be as unique. And don't quote me on this, but I believe there are more salamander species with yellow spots/skin than with red, for what that's worth.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #220
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'll try a new sketch with yellow and black! Or maybe red?
I love your take on Mona, Sophie! If you want to give "red" a try too check out the Red Eft: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...w=1242&bih=712 This exotic-looking little salamander is actually quite common throughout the Northeast (regional!), especially western Massachusetts, so if the gang ever finds themselves back in Northampton...
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the future is female