The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

TMNT: Out of the Shadows - first anniversary

One year ago today TMNT: Out of the Shadows was released in the US.

I personally loved the movie, and am sad that these characters may never be seen again in any way (a third movie, comics, toys etc.).

I thought it would be nice to make a thread about the first anniversary, I know a lot of members here did not like the movie (or the 2014 movie) but I'm also sure I'm not the only one that does enjoy it.

Threezero should release the four Turtles plus Bebop and Rocksteady 1/6 scale figures this year.

Prime 1 Studio has just recently released Bebop and Rocksteady statues with the four Turtles following later in the year.

After that, who knows, but I wouldn't mind new stories or merchandise based on these Turtles.
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

And virtually nobody talking about it for months, has the public consciousness forgotten about this awful movie yet?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Let this piece of crap die already. They Ruined Casey Jones and made him a generic pretty boy whiny pussy. **** this movie
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I'm still trying to forget these movies exist. They were horrible. 'Nuff said.

Also, in the spirit of Andrew NDB:
Spoiler:

DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Let this piece of crap die already. They Ruined Casey Jones and made him a generic pretty boy whiny pussy. **** this movie
Thankfully this storyline won't continue and hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes when they eventually reboot.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Thankfully this storyline won't continue and hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes when they eventually reboot.

I Can wait Elias Kotaes Casey is perfect and will hold me over
Old 06-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
sdp
-

I thought it was fine, it fixed a few things the first one did wrong though this one was clearly aimed at a younger audience. I can't say I disliked it, it's fine. I wish we could've had a third movie just to see what they did.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I thought it was fine, it fixed a few things the first one did wrong though this one was clearly aimed at a younger audience. I can't say I disliked it, it's fine. I wish we could've had a third movie just to see what they did.
The only way I'd like to see what could have been is by way of a one shot comic with the Turtles looking less like they do in these films and just tell the story that will never be a film...

Leave the cover as a blank so fans can do the perfect sketch/style they want and call it good.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I appricate this movie for one reason, and one reason alone; it finally gave me my childhood dream of live-action Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. Now, they can reboot with a Mirage centered version, and I can watch it happily.

And to those who hate this movie; stop wishing it didn't exist. It got the Fred Wolf characters out of the way, and it's failure hopefully paves the way for a more 'ninja/martial arts' version the next time around. It was the egg that had to be broken before you make the omelette.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I appricate this movie for one reason, and one reason alone; it finally gave me my childhood dream of live-action Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. Now, they can reboot with a Mirage centered version, and I can watch it happily.

And to those who hate this movie; stop wishing it didn't exist. It got the Fred Wolf characters out of the way, and it's failure paves the way for a more 'ninja/martial arts' version the next time around.
Might be a while before we see another movie or maybe tv show. I didn't like this movie, but I did like it better than the first one and I went in expecting to hate it. Was it bad? Yes, but it did show the cartoon characters that have been missing...

I would think if the powers that be would do a Mirage version on netflix that it would sell like hotcakes...
Old 06-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

"What would Vin Diesel do?"

Star in a better movie, that's what.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
sdp
-

The main reason I want a third movie is we will never have another live action universe with the TMNT that go full blown FW, so they might as well have finished the trilogy giving fans what they wanted featuring all our favorite mutants in live action.

Would it have been a classic? No, but it would've given us the characters we always wished to see in a movie.

The concept is just too silly for it to work on any movie that is actually good.

Or having the turtles travel through space and meet triceratons, I mean this stuff would not fly for the general audiences and it should've been done here.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
The main reason I want a third movie is we will never have another live action universe with the TMNT that go full blown FW, so they might as well have finished the trilogy giving fans what they wanted featuring all our favorite mutants in live action.

Would it have been a classic? No, but it would've given us the characters we always wished to see in a movie.

The concept is just too silly for it to work on any movie that is actually good.

Or having the turtles travel through space and meet triceratons, I mean this stuff would not fly for the general audiences and it should've been done here.
But 2 full blown FW like movies didn't sell, so is it really what fans wanted??

It also wasn't even really just that it was Fred Wolf versions, cuz it isn't. It was badly written and made zero sense... even less than a Fw episode.

Bebop & Rocksteady could have been better versions of them... Krang could have been an entire race of Utroms.... the story needed to make a bit more sense, even by comic book/cartoon standards...
Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

I'm one the opposite side of this. I don't want a third one and I don't want to see them do anything like this ever again. Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and most other such characters were created to market additional action figures, they should not be the center of a movie unless someone has a damn good spin on them. Simply shoving them into a movie because "Derp, that's what people remember from like 25-30 years ago! Who cares if they were basically absent for 20 years and/or most other versions?" isn't enough of a reason, especially if you don't make a coherent story around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Well, what little money they might have made could have come from the "fans", but the general audience clearly didn't care. Long story short, most people don't really care about the FW cartoon, to them it's just a vague childhood memory or an old annoyance that made them buy an ugly ball of grey plastic for their kids. People are just interested in what they already care about or seems neat now, these movies were neither.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 06-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The stories were not great, but sad that the actors won't get to be them anymore. Esp with Pete having his vocal acting used only once. (I could see him voicing an older animated series Leo someday.) If nothing else, I will miss this Leo. (Three years ago I would not image I'd ever be saying it about these films, but never mind, love him here too; if not everything else going on around him.)

Although, with no third film, I would still pay money for a DVD/Blu-ray packed full of both 2014 and 2016 outtakes, goofiness and whatnot from the Turtles' actors with the Turtles rendered into it. Watching the Turtles genuinely messing up their own lines would be superior to any plot line those writers could ever come up with.

Stil kind of wish there would be a third... with the stipulation that GOOD writers are brought in, keep Bay & Co. OUT, ditch FOX, and fix Casey. (Also, stop trying too hard to be the past and just be good. Sans unnecessarily screwing up included lore elements.) Maybe the Turtle designs aren't up to the preferences of plenty, but they're the least of the issues...

And they're hardly the only un-pretty design if you consider all designs from all media ever, and at that rate not actually the worst to ever be. Case in point... 1993? Only cute in the samurai gear. At least 2016 Leo accomplishes it just with better lighting and a grin.

If they even dared try a third someday... prob safest to just make one unconnected to these last two. Just claim they are older now, in their 20s or 30s, and come up with a new story. It might be safer territory for these people.

Is it so wrong to just want a good film...that just happens to star the Turtles? Stop trying to rewrite the past if you can't handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
"What would Vin Diesel do?"

Star in a better movie, that's what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Kakarot View Post
Threezero should release the four Turtles plus Bebop and Rocksteady 1/6 scale figures this year.
Last hint of any possible date I saw about it not long ago suggested August.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Have ThreeZero released all figures yet? R&B would be a good addition to the DreamEX Turtles.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Have ThreeZero released all figures yet? R&B would be a good addition to the DreamEX Turtles.
Their shipping schedule still has B&R listed for June. Been keeping an eye on their FB page, but have not seen any mentions of them going out or being received by anyone.

The Turtles are definitely not shipped yet. (Have 2016 film Leo ordered, but no word yet.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #18
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
They didn't do it right.

they didn't get someone who appreciated the material and not said fred wolf like a curse.

They didn't get an april or casey that looked right or fit the series.

do we really need to go all over this again?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #19
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

I didn't hate/loathe/despise either of the movies, but they were also not what I (or obviously what the majority) of fans wanted story wise.

It was long overdue for Rocksteady and Bebop to be in a live action film and I think they were portrayed pretty well all things considered. In the end they were what made the movie watchable in my opinion. Kraang on the other hand is what turned me off big time to the 2nd movie.

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved to see Kraang as the potential villain for perhaps the 3rd movie, ending the 2nd off with a teaser of his appearance and cementing in that 3rd title, but the way they shoved him into this one and just broomed Shredder felt rushed and poorly planned in my opinion. I think Rocksteady and Bebop were enough for the fans and if they spent a little more time coming up with a better story line it would have worked out so much better.

The other thing I didn't like was Casey Jones. I was fine with the casting choice but his background and general attitude was NOT Casey at all and I was really disappointed with how they handled that.

All that being said I do still value the movie to some degree. I got over the turtles appearance and tried to embrace it for what it was... so... I don't hate the new films. They just weren't what I would have liked to see with a live action reboot and I think it had much more potential to be something far greater than what it was.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3

Last edited by drag0nfeathers; 06-04-2017 at 04:36 PM.
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #20
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
They didn't do it right.

they didn't get someone who appreciated the material and not said fred wolf like a curse.

They didn't get an april or casey that looked right or fit the series.

do we really need to go all over this again?
No, thats definitely true. Not done right at all.

Tags
tmnt: out of the shadows