The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 06-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #101
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I was surprised

I thought Portugal looked better than Uruguay and thought they were going to score in the last minute, so it went to extra time and then penalties. If they did win and with Ronaldo missing next match, France probably would have knocked them out in the Quarter finals.
No. We had more ball possession and attacked more, but did all of that brainlessly. Uruguay were cold and calculating. Defended well and waited for the right moments to counter attack. Uruguay were tactically better for most of the game and were better than us for at least 60 minutes of the game. then Cavani was subbed out due to injury and ofc they had to defend more and risk less, since they were leading.

Portugal kept crossing to the opposite defenders Gimenez and Godin, who naturally cleared balls. Poor decisions and poor accuracy overall. No point having chances if you're gonna waste pretty much every single one of them.

Fernando Santos also shouldn't complain about Uruguay scoring two goals in two shots on target. We've been known to win games like that under him since Euro 2016 as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #102
Sumac
Banned

Argentina is out ad that is logical. They have demonstrated a rather weak and unispired game before and it was just question of time, when they will get a strong enough opponent to kick them out.

Portugal...yeah, was weak too. Not as weak as Argentina, but the team still looked like it was in constant state of chaotic fluctuation and indecision. Uruguay on the other hand, was the absolute football machine - discipline and precision. Something that one would expect from Germany.

So both results were to be expected.

Tomorrow Russian - Spain. It will be interesting, especially reaction of Russians. I remember in the second match, even in my place people were screaming "GOAL!!" when our team have scored against Iran. Though most likely Spain will kick them out.

And Croatia - Danish. I feel like it's more or less to Croatia. I hope.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 AM   #103
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I liked Portugal so much better than Uruguay, and would prefer the Portuguese to stay in the tournament.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 07-01-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #104
Vicky82
Emperor

Lol Spain are out, lost on penalties. Hopefully Brazil go out tomorrow.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #105
newfan
Mad Scientist

I expected them to score in the extra time as they were coming close.

So, Croatia are strong, what are Denmark like?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #106
Prowler
Emperor

Wow Russia did it. What is this? Dont' tell me France or Brazil will win this easily... or someone like Croatia, England or Sweden will. Or maybe it's Belgium's time.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #107
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah maybe, I was under the impression that Columbia would easier for us than Belgium was at least but I might we wrong LOL

So are there looking to be 4 favourites for the finals at this point?
It's C-O-L-O-M-B-I-A not Columbia. A common mistake of many English speakers.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #108
Prowler
Emperor

But oh well, Spain has been like this for most of history. 2008-2012 were atypical years for Spain. Spain for the most part has been the England of the south. Always overhyped and ends up going home with the tail between their legs. People who've gotten into football in the past 10 years will find this hard to believe but look at Spain's record in World Cups and Euros pre-Euro 2008. I remember them reaching the QFs in 2002 and it being considered a pretty great run for them at the time.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #109
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

Argentina fought against France, at the end they were eliminated. Leo Messi is been criticized heavily by his country's press and Uruguay was solid against Portugal.

Spain fought until the end against Russia. Nobody though that Russia will defeat a previous world champion. The are the tournament's big surprise.

Those penalties always make me nervous
Old 07-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #110
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
It's C-O-L-O-M-B-I-A not Columbia. A common mistake of many English speakers.
I guess Columbia is the older spelling in English, just like Romania was once spelled Rumania in English.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #111
Sumac
Banned

That last saved penalty from Russian goalkeeper was a true beauty.
But generally, victory of the Spain was not likely from the way they have played their game. Yeah, that had a better dribbling and looked more beautiful in various situations, but it was resultless. And football is the not a skating - you don't receive points for beauty and artistry. You receive points for goals.
Russia looked solid as a team. Rather disciplined.

As of now, Russia team reminds me of Greece from Euro 2004 (I think?). Very mediocre team, however, disciplined and capable of warding of some of the heat from opponents. Will they be able to go against someone really strong and capable, like France? Unlikely. But who knows at this point...

Croatia - Danish was a surprise. Why Croatia have played with them to a tie, anyone's guess. Sadly I haven't watched this match today, but I will see it's recording tomorrow to figure out what the heck had happened. Anyway, glad for Croatians, they have deserved their victory.

Brazil - Mexico would be a mess. Brazil looks and plays very much like a just a tad better Argentina. Mexico need to rehabilitate after their defeat at the hands of Sweden.

Japan - Belgium - well, no matter how much I like to see Japanese playing, I am afraid they have very little chances. But as always my predictions don't keep up, so who knows. One thing I can give to Japan - they are no pushovers.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:04 AM   #112
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Spain, on the whole, are actually worse than England at penalties, which is quite some going! As soon as it went to that point, I thought Russia had more than a 50:50 chance of going through. The long run up for the fifth Spanish penalty just screamed nerves to me heh... knew that one would be missed!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #113
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Lol Spain are out, lost on penalties. Hopefully Brazil go out tomorrow.
Vicky, Brazil eliminated Mexico.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #114
newfan
Mad Scientist

Awh, poor Japan. That was a good game.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #115
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
Vicky, Brazil eliminated Mexico.
Yeah I know I did watch it.

I can't imagine Belgium beating Brazil, so i'm hoping France or Uruguay will be able able to beat them in the semi finals.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #116
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Brazil's gonna get to the finals and then eliminiate Russia in a Seven One to avenge their loss in 2014

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #117
Sumac
Banned

Brazil beating Mexico was a surprise.

Japan almost beating Belgium was an even bigger surprise. Since I am usually rooting for underdogs, I really hoped that Japan will win, but, alas, Belgium took its head out its own ass and handled Japanese behinds right to them, so to speak.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #118
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Brazil beating Mexico was a surprise.
Not really since they have played 41 times throughout soccer history and Brazil lost 10 times.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #119
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Brazil's gonna get to the finals and then eliminiate Russia in a Seven One to avenge their loss in 2014
Russia had nothing to do with that loss, though. It was Germany who beat Brazil 7-1.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #120
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Russia had nothing to do with that loss, though. It was Germany who beat Brazil 7-1.
I know, but just the satisfaction of beating a country on their home turf.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote