Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yes, I remember now!

It's still kind of a weird way to introduce major villains, but I guess when people are busy on the other side...

Speaking of that, what's taking them so long in acting on Burnow? Especially if the Triceratons are going to go there.
Waiting for humanity to deal with Burnow Island is the single weirdest thing IDW has ever done. It's the elephant... no, sorry, it's the giant freaking alien fortress in the room that nobody will talk about.

Even weirder than having to wait 56 issues to meet Leatherhead, not counting all the micro- and mini-series.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And now they're adding more aliens! The very aliens that the other aliens were trying to escape from.

At the very least now, they have the Triceratons who know they're being watched. But who knows if they'll even say. Things are going to be really tense.

It's likely that no one is going to be even remotely happy about the new living arrangements.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
And now they're adding more aliens! The very aliens that the other aliens were trying to escape from.

At the very least now, they have the Triceratons who know they're being watched. But who knows if they'll even say. Things are going to be really tense.

It's likely that no one is going to be even remotely happy about the new living arrangements.
It could make for a very interesting story arc or two.

But it's beyond ridiculous that Burnow Island has only been under "observation" by the EPF. As soon as the Technodrome lit up to terraform Earth, BAM--humans should have been invading within the next story arc.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I know, right! Especially since, by my calculations, Burnow is only about a two-hour flight from New York and maybe a short boat ride from Nova Scotia. Things should not be taking as long as they have.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Anyone want to write a letter to the editor to ask why the elephant in the room has taken so long to address or straight up ask Curnow?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #26
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

If the Utroms had the technology to terraform the Earth, I'm pretty sure they could have cloaked themselves from prying eyes.

We can assume Bishop and the EPF only became aware of the Utroms when they did due to some other, totally logical reason
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #27
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And furthermore, how did they even know exactly what was going on if they couldn't get in because of the atmosphere being different?
Were there drones involved?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #28
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

My name was invoked, so I might as well stop lurking and chime in!

My view of this is: Pre-Technodrome, Burnow Island was a hermit state, akin to North Korea. Very little goes in or out. Not much opportunity for the outside world to know about what's going on there. As far as anyone knows, it's just a very small dictatorship that has no strategic value.

After the island is terraformed, all the world would know is what they are able to pick up satellites: "something" happened. Some nations would likely take a boat up to investigate and do some readings-- they'd see that something terrible has happened akin to a huge radioactive accident. Regardless, they can't get any closer without full hazmat suits, etc... they're forced to be at a distance. On top of that, this is a sovereign nation. You can't just walk on in unannounced. And I think it's also safe to assume that Fugitoid or the Utroms would send out a warning message for others to stay away.

So, in short-- it's a dangerous place to be and no one from the outside world has permission to enter, if they even wanted.

Now, of course something like the Technodrome going off would attract the attention of more covert groups like Bishop and the EPF. That's why we first saw him monitoring the island. But it's still not easy to get on to the island, and Bishop has since had his hands full with the mutants of NYC and the Triceraton invasion. Plus, there's no reason for anyone to think that there are aliens on the island. Krang would have kept that a big secret. Maybe one can guess that Bishop has things figured out, but maybe he hasn't. From my (limited) reading/understanding of intelligence agencies, in hindsight it's amazing what kind of secrets they can find out, but also amazing at the types of huge things they can totally miss on. (WMD in Iraq comes to mind). But how much Bishop does or doesn't know isn't information that the reader needs to know at this time, in our opinion.

Hopefully that's enough cover to justify what at the end of the day is just a storytelling decision: while we wanted to introduce Bishop sniffing around Burnow Island but we haven't wanted to dive full into a Bishop vs. Utrom storyline to date.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Spoiler:

My view of this is: Pre-Technodrome, Burnow Island was a hermit state, akin to North Korea. Very little goes in or out. Not much opportunity for the outside world to know about what's going on there. As far as anyone knows, it's just a very small dictatorship that has no strategic value.

After the island is terraformed, all the world would know is what they are able to pick up satellites: "something" happened. Some nations would likely take a boat up to investigate and do some readings-- they'd see that something terrible has happened akin to a huge radioactive accident. Regardless, they can't get any closer without full hazmat suits, etc... they're forced to be at a distance. On top of that, this is a sovereign nation. You can't just walk on in unannounced. And I think it's also safe to assume that Fugitoid or the Utroms would send out a warning message for others to stay away.

So, in short-- it's a dangerous place to be and no one from the outside world has permission to enter, if they even wanted.

Now, of course something like the Technodrome going off would attract the attention of more covert groups like Bishop and the EPF. That's why we first saw him monitoring the island. But it's still not easy to get on to the island, and Bishop has since had his hands full with the mutants of NYC and the Triceraton invasion. Plus, there's no reason for anyone to think that there are aliens on the island. Krang would have kept that a big secret. Maybe one can guess that Bishop has things figured out, but maybe he hasn't. From my (limited) reading/understanding of intelligence agencies, in hindsight it's amazing what kind of secrets they can find out, but also amazing at the types of huge things they can totally miss on. (WMD in Iraq comes to mind). But how much Bishop does or doesn't know isn't information that the reader needs to know at this time, in our opinion.

Hopefully that's enough cover to justify what at the end of the day is just a storytelling decision: while we wanted to introduce Bishop sniffing around Burnow Island but we haven't wanted to dive full into a Bishop vs. Utrom storyline to date.
Okay, that all makes enough sense. It works for me!

Thanks, Bobby!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post

It works for me. My main question on the issue was,"Would the U.N. want to try to probe the Island after the very public terraforming fiasco?"'
Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #31
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hey, Bishop's first story arc was in Universe! Null's only appearances have been in Mutanimals and Universe!
"Side series" isn't all that those two have in common with this story.
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Paul, I know we're months away but is TMNTU #21 going to have a title?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #33
PaulAllor
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Paul, I know we're months away but is TMNTU #21 going to have a title?
I put one in the script, but I don't know if Bobby has approved it. This is also part one of a two-parter, just FYI.
PaulAllor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #34
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllor View Post
I put one in the script, but I don't know if Bobby has approved it. This is also part one of a two-parter, just FYI.
Cool, can't wait.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I like how most of the conversation has been more about the Universe issue than the actual mainline issue.

The Rat King has been skipping around the pages in the shadows for so long and is finally going to do something, but nah...we gotta talk about the politics involved with Burnow Island
Old 01-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I like how most of the conversation has been more about the Universe issue than the actual mainline issue.

The Rat King has been skipping around the pages in the shadows for so long and is finally going to do something, but nah...we gotta talk about the politics involved with Burnow Island
Hey you're just as guilty as the rest of us on that front.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Touche.

Though, it would still be worth pondering why that is.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #38
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Glad to finally see the Rat King back in the main story
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:44 AM   #39
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Hmmm Food for thought, Jennika teaming up with Casey was a surprised, but my bro blurted out something that got me thinking. "So Gabrielle is a ninja now?" I was going to correct him until it hit me. Do we know Jennika's real name?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #40
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
Hmmm Food for thought, Jennika teaming up with Casey was a surprised, but my bro blurted out something that got me thinking. "So Gabrielle is a ninja now?" I was going to correct him until it hit me. Do we know Jennika's real name?
I'm pretty sure that's her real name; she mentioned that her family and friends call her Jenny.