The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
TCRI
Hench Mutant

Chinese NECA Rip-offs? (pictures)

I only rediscovered tmnt a few months ago and I've bought at couple of NECA TMNT.

I only have Mike and Leo, both brand new clamshells. But I really want (obviously) Don and Raph too. I'm being patient for a Don clamshell that isn't £70, more like £20-£30. However, Raph simply cannot be bought for cheap these days. So knowing that I couldn't afford him on clamshell, I opted for a tube.

I paid around £17 for Raphael in a tube from an eBay seller in China. I paid a little extra for a "sturdy box" and insurance when asked by the seller if I was "a collector".

I THINK IT'S A COUNTERFEIT, OR PARTS OF IT ARE. (See pics)

1 - First off, Raph's shell is a completely different colour.
2 - The black detailing on his sais are faint or not even there. Also some of the paint flaked off! I've only had it an hour!
3 - The skin colour is really far off my other two (genuine) figures. I know NECAs have the ability to look a bit patchy, paint-wise using flash photography... but Raph almost looks blue in areas!!
4 - He smells different.... has a very pungent plastic smell, much worse than the clamshells.
5 - His rubbery bits; his bandana, belt, kneepads and chest plate ARE NOT SOFT! They're really stiff! It's not the same rubber, something much harder.
6 - The paint on his bandana is much glossier than the other two (genuine) figures, and it's even a little tacky to the touch... fresh paint??
7 - His chest piece is the wrong colour, much more "yellowy" than the other two (genuine) toys and has less black detailing on it. I actually think it's an improvement, but that's beside the point atm.
8 - Last but certainly not least is his feet.... they arc! What I mean is, they don't stand flat, only the toes and heel do. There is about 3mm gap on both feet where it's been misshaped. Also there is some black line detailing which is wrong.

P.S. That "sturdy box" I paid extra for was just a basic brown cardboard box, which arrived crushed with part of the tube crushed too. I'd hate to think what a regular/unsturdy box would've consisted of? - a paper bag?

I think the recent influx of these TMNT tubes on eBay has something to do with one or two dodgy factories in China. The original toys in 2008 were made there and I wonder if these new ones are made from old bits of the original factory production or even re-used old molds to cast new pieces out of the wrong types of plastic?

Anyway, I've love to know what people think. Or if you have had a similar experience etc. I know a lot of you on here are American (I'm British) so maybe ordering from China isn't on your to-do list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4440.jpg (97.8 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4447.jpg (96.2 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4445.jpg (82.0 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4446.jpg (82.3 KB, 555 views)