The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 AM   #1
Stephen
Hench Mutant

What other forums do you post on?

Other than The Technodrome, what other forums do you post on?

Not that many for me these days. Just Rangerboard and The Trek BBS.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

only this. I did find one of the first forums I ever registered on, as the owner resurrected it from being shut down. But it was completely inactive so I didn't bother with it, and now I've forgotten its name again

I lurk on Fwoosh time to time, tried to make an account but things went a bit haywire.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Besides this I used IMDB daily but since they closed thier boards I went over to BluRay.com. So I guess just these 2 at the moment.

I have a Gamespot account that I check now and then. I used to use it all the time until around 2011 when they changed stuff up. Most of the users I talked with left too.

I lurk on a couple of others for uh...separate matters
Old 05-23-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

The number of ones I'm on is shrinking almost daily. They keep shutting down or getting abandoned and going to this "Discord" thing. I hadn't heard about people using chat rooms since early 2000s and suddenly it's taking over everything.

The worst part is that it doesn't have most of the basic functions of message boards so I have no idea why it's replacing them.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
snake
Disgusting

4chan, Rebelscum for buying stuff, and here.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #6
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Stealthy Stories and TMNT-L besides here. Used to go on Chamber of Secrets but stopped because there's not much to talk about Harry Potter wise and most of it is inactive these days.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I used to post on the Vanilla Ice forum back in the day, but that place is a graveyard now.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Besides here just the GPK Underground forum. I have a Seibertron account but I don't use that anymore.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I post just here.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Mostly Tumblr. Usually here. Occasionally a GL board. Sometimes TMNT-L. Rarely Avatar Spirit.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
The number of ones I'm on is shrinking almost daily. They keep shutting down or getting abandoned and going to this "Discord" thing. I hadn't heard about people using chat rooms since early 2000s and suddenly it's taking over everything.

The worst part is that it doesn't have most of the basic functions of message boards so I have no idea why it's replacing them.
Actually it's because Discord is the best way to talk on the internet. It's instant, servers have multiple channels, you can add custom emotes, you can change your nickname per server, you can get emails about messages you missed, you can use voice chat that is better than Skype's, it syncs across all your computers and devices flawlessly [which Skype was horrible at doing, it would sync my messages out of order if it did it at all], looks identical on browser or desktop, and has a powerful search function. There's even a now-officially supported bot you can add that gives a server even more features.

It's meant to work with pc games and has an overlay feature [that I've never used because Steam has one built-in, whoops, but it's there] so you don't have to close out of full screen games to chat. It also displays the game you have open, so when you don't respond immediately people will know why.

I'm glad things are moving to Discord, it's way better than basically anything else and you should get it too and you'll see what I mean. It's what irc always wanted to be.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Agreed! Though, I'm more partial to Slack than I am Discord, but both are leaps and bounds better than pretty much any chat program I've ever used.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

I used to visit at least 10 different forums back in the hey day.

some just stopped being active, most just got WAY too crazy. yet others i stopped following what the forum was about.

I now mostly only frequent two.

On one forum, formerly sane members went crazy and started going into attack mode. that was the forum i stuck with for 17 years, so I kind of felt like i was a member of the community, so it kind of hurt and i havn't been back since. I don't really miss it.

The remaining two, here and one other place are still at a 'manageable' level of crazy where it doesn't interfere with general forum operations just yet.

but mostly i've been trying to cut back on social interaction. i no longer seek out new places and dropped alot of what i did use.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Only this forum right now.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Here, the Green Lantern board I own, rarely these days (www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum) and the Official Highlander message board that I also own (www.highlander-community.com).

Used to post sporadically on IMDB. Very sad that's gone.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I haven't actually mentioned what other forums I'm on whoops

None of the ones I post on are all that active any more and I don't really have many friends on any of the rest of them [if I'm not a mod] so I don't bother. I still drop in to some of my moderated places from time to time but nobody says anything there. I've considered reviving one of my old ones but right now is not a good time to squeeze in the extra work it'd take.

I took a SEVERAL month break from Tumblr and let my queue of like 200 items finally run out [so no, when I post on tumblr it does NOT mean I am online, everyone that thought as much was fooled very heavily by not knowing how the site works but at least it kept people from thinking I died] but I'm back posting to it again. My interactions there will never be as social as they once had been though, I'm mostly just reblogging pictures of animals, fanarts, or PSAs. It's the closest thing to another forum that I actively use, though.

Also I want to note that I can't believe Rangerboard is still around
Old 05-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Other than The Technodrome, what other forums do you post on?

Not that many for me these days. Just Rangerboard and The Trek BBS.
Really? I've considered signing up over at The Trek BBS; I haunt it pretty frequently...

How's the life over there? Better than here, worse? Trolls?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
sdp
-

Forums have slowly been dying in the 2010's and that's a shame. Most people have been moving to social media since it's "easier" to use or even reddit, I know plenty of forums that became just official facebook or reddit pages. It's just easier to use for most people and whatnot.

I always preferred forums since things are "archived" and easily searchable while they aren't in say facebook and even Reddit, worse off in discord. And replying to specific comments is a huge mess on FB/Reddit, and makes "deeper" discussions very difficult, hell it's basically a modern version of the original Bulletin Board style forums. Forums are also great for stuff that doesn't have a lot of fans so you don't get immediate responses, it can be hours/days/weeks before you do. If it's a "what grinds your gears" then yeah a chat can be much better but forums have their strengths that sadly aren't being replaced very well in social media or discord.

The great thing about IRC is that it never grew with the internet, it has always been a niche thing, using it always brings back memories to simpler internet times. I haven't used discord enough but I'll try. Being older and not having as much free time is another aspect of why forums are better for me, I can wait days to finally reply to someone.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Used to post sporadically on IMDB. Very sad that's gone.
I know, really agree. I didn't frequent it much, but I liked it as a direct place to ask a question about a particular movie once in a while, where the right person might eventually read and answer. Stupid that their notice about it tried to suggest that they were just going to rely on FB now... Seriously? So, now what, I have to ask a question on a completely unrelated post where no one will give a damn and it is soon lost? Right. At the very least they could open up the FB "visitor posts" option.

Shame that they didn't at least archive the forums.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I mostly just come here, but still visit Mickey's Comic Tavern once in a while, as well as Stealthy Stories, Candlekeep, and Chosen of Eilistraee. (The last two are Forgotten Realms sites, where I have a different username- Alystra Illianniis.) Was a Mod on Marvel back before they moved their forums to another site and they died.

I have a FB of course, but that's as far as I go on social media. Mostly just a cesspool of trolls on any and every subject imaginable, and incessant posts about kids, religion, and "'Murica". I only keep it to keep in touch with my daughter and her adoptive mommies. Everything else is mostly annoying.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote