The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Bill
Stone Warrior

Anyone got photos of the TMNT toy line (1988-1999) when they were in the toy shelves?

Hi everyone. This must be difficult or maybe imposible. We were very young and those images can be found only in our memory.
However if anyone got the chance to take a picture of the tmnt original toy line (1988 to 1998 )when it was in the toy shelves at the toy stores please upload the photos.
Plus, anyone remember in which toy stores could you buy tmnt action figures? Like kay bee toys for example
Thanks a lot.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I can't offer any pictures (can't wait to see some, though!) but I do remember a buncha stores that carried the TMNT.

Toys R Us
Kay Bee Toys
K-mart
Walmart
Genovese
Caldors

Basically everywhere that carried action figures had them...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Damn cool thread, I really hope to see some cool pictures.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Target was the primary source for my folks. But also smaller chains like Thrifty (now Rite Aide)
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Rose's was another one. My parents only bought me figures there on clearance when the various stores were going out of business
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I remember going to Toys R Us when TMNT figures would take up an entire side of an aisle...PLUS they would have more at the front of the store. But...I never got any pictures. I was like 10.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

I'd love to have a photo of the TMNT display in the old Woolworth's in my town. They had these huge square pillars, about 5' wide, just covered in TMNT figures right up to the ceiling, then the 2 aisles in front of this pillar were full of toys & other merchandise. They were the first big store to get the toys in (a smaller indie toyshop had imported some from the US about a year earlier), I'd guess this'd have been around Xmas 1990. I just remember spending a whole Saturday in there, in awe...
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
raphfan84
Stone Warrior

I don't have any pictures to upload but I do remember that around where I live the 3 main stores were Toys R Us, Kaybee, and Kmart. But just like somone else said before whenever I would go to look at Toys R Us they DID take up almost an entire isle then plus some towards the front. Also the Ghostbusters toys also took almost a whole isle! Those were the good ole days!
raphfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

bump in the hope to see some photos!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
turtles_kolektor
Mad Scientist

No TMNT but still! Guys it's RETRO TIME
Found it on this website: http://transformersuk.blogspot.com/2011/08/retro.html
turtles_kolektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

I kept scrolling through your photos hoping for TMNT but N

Cool picks though!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Venom
Space Knight

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles_kolektor View Post

No TMNT but still! Guys it's RETRO TIME
Found it on this website: http://transformersuk.blogspot.com/2011/08/retro.html

Gah, these pics prove that the late '80's was definitely the best time to have been a kid.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
pannoni1
Foot Elite

All I've seen are 2k3 era photos online, but I found this very 1982-3ish by the looks of this photo:

Thank goodness TMNT wasn't around during the "4-bit era" as I once called it or we would be laughing at those games to this day like ET and Star Wars fans still do. Gaming has sure come a long ways since then and hard to believe that those games cost $18-$35 when new (around $40-$80 when adjusted for inflation!), considering you can get most for around a buck a piece for 2600s in an eBay lot. Let's say it's 1987 in the Transformers aisle as posted above, and say you wait at the store without feeling tired. Just imagine that one day in early 1988 that a portion of the Transformers aisle is replaced by a few TMNT figures, and then in 1989 more stuff is replaced and around half of the aisle is TMNT stuff, and then in 1990 with Transformers dead at the time, the entire aisle is nothing but TMNT! 1990 and 1991 was basically when you saw the most TMNT merchandise in the aisles, with 1992 similar to 1989's with a few Batman/Spiderman/Xmen appearing. Then came 1993 and the Power Rangers as I could recall pretty much overtook where the TMNT stuff once stood (there was still a bit more TMNT than Power Rangers that year from my memory), then 1994 and 1995 basically reduced TMNT to a small section/clearance bins with Power Rangers dominating, and by the the time we hit 1996, the TMNT section was all but gone, showing the shift in trends. It's still easy to figure out which stores sold TMNT merchandise just by looking at the tags in your collection or online.

Also, people often forget how difficult it was to find certain items, particularly in smaller stores during the early years with high demand.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!

Last edited by pannoni1; 11-30-2011 at 08:44 PM.
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I remember going to Toys R Us when TMNT figures would take up an entire side of an aisle...PLUS they would have more at the front of the store. But...I never got any pictures. I was like 10.
This is what I remember, too, only I remember the TMNT taking up a couple of aisles. When I go to stores now they don't seem as big, so I don't know if my memory is distorted or if times have simply changed concerning the way toys are displayed.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Gah, these pics prove that the late '80's was definitely the best time to have been a kid.
Those photos are from Zodiac, a chain of UK toyshops that went bust around 1990 - I don't remember ever seeing any TMNT stuff at either of the local branches before they closed, though.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
AcidBurn30
Foot Soldier

damn, that just bring back so many memories, also this shows the young kids they miss out a lot of things..go there again and looks boring lol
AcidBurn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #17
Bill
Stone Warrior

Great photos!! If we saw pictures of He-Man maybe someone got ones of the TMNT. I remember seeing on youtube a commercial of a guy disguised as ninja turtle and in one part He was standing beside a toy shelve full of tmnt toys, including the 1988 turtle blimp but I still cant find that video. Anyone remeber that commercial?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I noticed that people are throwing the names of stores out there, and a lot of them are unfamiliar to me. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and we had Children's Palace, Kiddie City, and later, Toys R Us. There weren't any Walmarts or Targets until later, but there was a killer store called Hills, where I bought a ton of figures. I also used to get a lot at a local spot called Marc's, which was like a discount store. Think Big Lots, but much better and with fresh produce.

I wish I had pictures, and thinking back on those days almost makes me cry with nostalgia. It sucks not being able to be 8 years old forever.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
Stingray69
Stone Warrior

I always got mine at Ames it was the only store in town that carried toys. They went out of business a few year ago though.
Stingray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
there was a killer store called Hills, where I bought a ton of figures.
Hill's ROCKED!!! They had tons of Icee flavors and popcorn right when you entered the store! They *always* had an aisle full of Turtle toys and yep, that's where I always headed to, or was a good little boy while mom looked at the clothes so I *could* get over to the toys!