The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Does Shredder have too many lieutenants

I just realized something(well actually not really I was thinking about this for a long time) Shredder has too many lieutenants what I mean by it is that it feels like the writers gives Shredder too many henchmen that even they don't know what to do with and their skills are sometimes redundant.

Ex
Xever was a caporia fighter who is not only a skilled thief but also has ties with New York's underworld and tends to keep the Purple Dragons in line but a few seasons later we have Zeck who is also master thief and a season later we have Hun the guy who keeps the purple dragons in line. It feels as if the writers are too focused on making toys and figures instead of wanting a good show and to add salt to the wound Zeck and Hun aren't anything like their counterparts. Now don't get me wrong writers are free to have different interpretations with their respected incarnation but with the amount of characterzation the Nick versions Hun and Zeck have its the equivalent of making Mikey a punisher like vigilante
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

To me, it feels like Bebop, Rocksteady, Razhar, Fishface and Stockman are more like Shredder's slaves/an extension of his foot clan army. The only ones who feels like a true liuetenant is Tiger Claw.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To me, it feels like Bebop, Rocksteady, Razhar, Fishface and Stockman are more like Shredder's slaves/an extension of his foot clan army. The only ones who feels like a true liuetenant is Tiger Claw.
Well they are more on the top of the Foot hierarchy ordering the foot bots

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The Lieutenant is the second in command. So the question should be Does Shredder have too many Hench Mutants? Only Karai and Tiger Claw had been the Lieutenants. Karai lost her position to Tiger Claw to punish her for acting out against the Shredder's orders.

Fish Face, Rahazar, Bebop, and Rocksteady are purely there to be the grunts of the Foot Clan.
Well you can have more than one Lieutenant
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The Lieutenant is the second in command. So the question should be Does Shredder have too many Hench Mutants? Only Karai and Tiger Claw had been the Lieutenants. Karai lost her position to Tiger Claw to punish her for acting out against the Shredder's orders.

Fish Face, Rahazar, Bebop, and Rocksteady are purely there to be the grunts of the Foot Clan while the Foot Bots are the cannon fodder.

Rahzar and Fish face are bound to the Shredder by loyalty.

Rahzar formerly Dogpound, formerly Chris Bradford is a martial arts superstar. It's unknown what connection he holds to the Shredder, but it's implied that he may have been a student of the Shredder.

Fishface is connected to Shredder by because he owes him for bailing him out of jail.

Bebop and Rocksteady are more or less thralls of the Shredder.

Rocksteady is formerly an ally and weapons supplier of the Shredder.

Bebop is a thief who is given the task of stealing the Shredder's helmet.

Both of them were mutated as punishment both for the theft of the Kuro Kabuto, and also for using Karai to use her as a bargaining chip to them out of the Kraang infested city. Before given the choice of serving the Shredder or facing their deaths.

Last edited by victory_angel; 09-30-2016 at 12:12 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Rahzar formerly Dogpound, formerly Chris Bradford is a martial arts superstar. It's unknown what connection he holds to the Shredder, but it's implied that he may have been a student of the Shredder.
It's more than implied. Shredder flat out calls him his student.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I don't think there are too many. Now, Fishface and Dogpound/Rahzar have been given less of a spotlight in recent seasons, but some episodes have used all them working together in some capacity.

I like the variety, personally.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I like shredder having several henchmen and not just 1 or 2. It also makes sense to have more than 2 when you're taking on 4 mutant turtles.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I like shredder having several henchmen and not just 1 or 2. It also makes sense to have more than 2 when you're taking on 4 mutant turtles.
When you can already take said turtles have an army of ninjas then having 6 officers are kinda overkill
Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Well the Foot has Rahzar, Fishface, Bebop, Rocksteady and Stockman with Tiger Claw as Shredder's sidekick. I don't think Shredder has enough. Plus, those six are a needed for Shredder. Shredder obviously need Tiger Claw and needs Stockman to create mutants and other experiments for him. He needs Rahzar for some muscle and as a bodyguard for some mission and Bebop and Rocksteady are used for collecting goods for Stockman and are told to do several commands for Shredder. The only mutant that has no real work to do is Fishface ever since Dogpound became Rahzar and Stockman, Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady joined the Foot. Not to say he is useless, but there is not many jobs he has done.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

Shredder always has a bunch of goons, all crime lords do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
the amount of characterzation the Nick versions Hun and Zeck have its the equivalent of making Mikey a punisher like vigilante
Soooo par the course then?

& just because Hun is a Bruce Lee clone now doesn't mean he's not fundamentally the same; a martial arts expert who dabbles in organized crime.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:54 AM   #11
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Found that for dirt at an old comic shop in my hometown.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Lieutenants have various places the hierarchy depending on what kind of (usually military) group it is.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
"A lieutenant (abbreviated Lt., LT, LTA, Lieut., LEUT and LEUT.) is a junior commissioned officer in many nations' armed forces, fire service or police.

The meaning of lieutenant differs in different military formations (see comparative military ranks), but is often subdivided into senior (first lieutenant) and junior (second lieutenant) ranks. In navies it is often equivalent to the army rank of captain; it may also indicate a particular post rather than a rank. The rank is also used in fire services, emergency medical services, security services and police forces.

Lieutenant may also appear as part of a title used in various other organizations with a codified command structure. It often designates someone who is "second-in-command," and as such, may precede the name of the rank directly above it. For example, a "lieutenant master" is likely to be second-in-command to the "master" in an organization using both ranks.
I would say too many henchmen. Tiger Claw is the only one fully expressed as being a "second in command", and does his share in enforcing the others while Shredder is not present.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

Isn't Tigerclaw like the only one that is a threat?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #14
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Isn't Tigerclaw like the only one that is a threat?
Not exactly, apart from Bradford in some cases, I would say Stockman is a big threat as well. His new abilities as a mutant are pretty powerful and he could create a lot of different things for the Shredder in the future.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredder