The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So what do you guys suggest someone who has no real experience with cooking start off with? I can only cook/heat up basic things where they give you the instructions on the box.

The foods I like are various chicken, pasta, steak, ribs, turkey, etc. I don't eat fish though.
...buy portions of chicken breast and grill them? You can google that and find out in 2 minutes how to do that. it's simple as hell.

You've been living on your own for several years now and yet can't cook anything?!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #22
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
So what do you guys suggest someone who has no real experience with cooking start off with? I can only cook/heat up basic things where they give you the instructions on the box.

The foods I like are various chicken, pasta, steak, ribs, turkey, etc. I don't eat fish though.

Easy. Betty Crocker Cookbook. Has lots of easy and classic recipes and is easy to find in any bookstore or online. Never goes out of print!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Google "perfect chicken breast" if you're going to be cooking chicken breasts. It's literally a fail-proof recipe if you follow it correctly. It's easy to overcook and dry out chicken breast but if you do it that way then you've got moist, juicy chicken breast to add to whatever else you're going to cook. I just cooked some and threw it on top of a frozen pizza when it was done cooking. Not the most sophisticated meal, but satisfying nonetheless.

There are plenty of good recipes for steak, steak is really pretty easy. Pasta too. Ribs are more intensive, as is cooking a whole turkey. Baby steps, man.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Start with pasta. The very first thing I learned to cook on my own when I was eight - taught by both my parents.
It's literally just boiling water and putting the noodles in until they're soft. This is usually tested when they're limp.
I have to methods: taste test one to see if it's soft (at my house) or throw it at the a wall (at my mom's house). If it sticks, it's done.

Butter and cheese (and I've been adding black pepper and garlic salt lately) is a good topper after you drain it. Maybe even my personal favorite, aside from Alfredo sauce.

My brother, who is younger than me, is also a much better cook than I presently am, probably because he's more willing to work with meats that I don't really care for. And because he works at Starbucks full-time, has also taken to making amazing coffees and simple syrups. The caramel syrup he makes is godly. Even if it gathers some sugar crystals after sitting in the fridge untouched.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Or do pasta the 'lazy' way and get that "As Seen on Tv" Pasta Boat and throw the pasta in the microwave instead. (That thing is pretty handy, btw.) And get other stuff together while that does its thing.

(Alternately I sometimes throw the pasta in a big microwave safe glass bowl (covered) instead, but it doesn't contain the water nearly as well...)

Pasta is a good staple though, I use it plenty. Inexpensive easy base for various things and hard to ruin cooking it. Although it doesn't offer all that much nutritionally speaking so personally I've switched over to the whole wheat/grain variety.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #26
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, that's why you usually wouldn't eat it on its own, but with other stuff.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 AM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I mean the pasta itself... How it's eaten, or with what, not withstanding.

edit: Same as I prefer whole grain breads, etc as well anymore, white bread just sounds so pointless to me in most cases. (Not that I was ever much a fan of it anyhow, save for the occasional toast or grilled cheese.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #28
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I can make pretty good gravy for certain meat dishes. One of my favorites is salmon covered with smetana and honey, it's super easy to make and delicious every time.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #29
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I can make a pretty nice risotto, and I like to improvise and make up risotto recipes.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Some really great ideas being tossed around! I loves me some pasta, doesn't matter what kind. Best with a tomato or cream sauce, but good with a little olive oil, butter, lemon juice and seasonings too.

One of my personal favorite things to make when I can find them are sauteed wild puffballs. These are the giant round mushrooms that pop up in pastures or yards and pop open with a puff of "smoke" when kicked or disturbed when they are mature. One has to get them while they are still soft and spongy inside, but once cooked- DELISH! Has a texture like soft bread, and a very delicate flavor compared to regular table mushrooms. They are easy to recognize since nothing else looks like them. Big round and squishy! If the inside is even a little dark thoufh, they are no longer good. Must be pure white and soft inside. I like them with olive oil, butter, lemon pepper and garlic.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #31
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Hey Cubed, you should try Blue Apron.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題

Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Hey Cubed, you should try Blue Apron.
It's a little on the pricey side. My mother tried it for a while, and while it was amazing, still cost us a little more than she liked.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #34
ToTheNines
[sic]

We liked it, too. It's delicious and they have great vegetarian options. It was a little pricey but it saves you a grocery store trip. We only cancelled because our work schedules are so crazy and stuff was going bad sitting so long.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote