The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #4641
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
TMNT for netflix pls?
Never happen while Nick holds the rights.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #4642
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
CKD, was the lists I provided you a bit too much?

I typically avoid this thread because it is so massive its hard to keep up and too often politics come into play. I do ask though, is there a premire date for Rise of The Turtles?
It's really close. I think it's gonna be the 20th of this month
__________________
Dejablue is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #4643
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior
 
Ashwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
It's really close. I think it's gonna be the 20th of this month
Thats only for the 1st ep, the show still starts in september
__________________
Ashwolf is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #4644
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist
 
Sabacooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,838
The reason Raph didn't have to earn the leadership role is because this is a completely different take on it. They're clearly going to set it up so that Leo takes the top spot.

I don't mind having Leo eventually taking over and having things the way we're used to but please don't insult us Raph fans by having his leadership role stripped from him because they just have to make him out to be an idiot. I want there to be a good legitimate reason for Leo taking over. I predict it'll play out a lot less favorably though unfortunately.
Sabacooza is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #4645
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
The reason Raph didn't have to earn the leadership role is because this is a completely different take on it. They're clearly going to set it up so that Leo takes the top spot.

I don't mind having Leo eventually taking over and having things the way we're used to but please don't insult us Raph fans by having his leadership role stripped from him because they just have to make him out to be an idiot. I want there to be a good legitimate reason for Leo taking over. I predict it'll play out a lot less favorably though unfortunately.
Would be nice if they could do it without drama. But also not in a way that's pointless.

I think I've mentioned it once before, but going at it from this direction, where everyone presumes Leo will take over at some point... I'd actually kind of prefer a somewhat reluctant Leo. Going about it in a way that will soften the transition.

Let them ALL start showing signs of various talents, including Leo who becomes apparent that he's really good with strategy, etc, and does really good on the occasion that he steps up when need be. Let his BROTHERS notice and point out these traits to him. Have Leo be kind of reluctant to take the lead sometimes, leaving his bothers to push him to do it in certain situations that he has shown at being really good at handling, letting THEM tell him that they NEED him to step up and push him to do it. And Raph himself trying to convince Leo, telling him that he's really good at it and that the team needs him to step up on whatever mission.

It would at least give his brothers, esp Raph, some better involvement in the transition with less competitiveness, nor create a resentful situation, if Raph himself is involved in admitting that his brother is talented in that position.

Although sadly I'm not sure how well a scenario with a reluctant Leo would actually mesh with the cocky one they're creating.
IndigoErth is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #4646
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
At this point, why anyone expects a Ninja Turtles cartoon to be anything other than toy sales, cheap gimmicks, jokes, and action is beyond me.

Which sounds fine to a lot of you, sure.

But it's no wonder some TMNT fans get heated when they realize that the target audience is too young to drink or drive, and that the best TMNT stories were written years ago. (IDW excepted.)
I don't think the best stories are behind us, but I do think that anyone expecting those stories to come GrimDark are delusional.

Whether or not those potential future best stories are a given fan's cup of tea is another story entirely.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #4647
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I don't think the best stories are behind us, but I do think that anyone expecting those stories to come GrimDark are delusional.

Whether or not those potential future best stories are a given fan's cup of tea is another story entirely.
I'm not even advocating for GrimDark.

More like, MirageDark or DaredevilDark.

But stories that aren't drowning in Mikey's dumbness or Raph's one-note anger or Don wearing nerd glasses and a retainer... those are indeed all in the rearview mirror.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #4648
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm not even advocating for GrimDark.

More like, MirageDark or DaredevilDark.

But stories that aren't drowning in Mikey's dumbness or Raph's one-note anger or Don wearing nerd glasses and a retainer... those are indeed all in the rearview mirror.
This is where we disagree, but then...again, I'm coming at this from a transformative standpoint and not a curitorial one.
I'm used to having to go elsewhere for my fandom kicks, because I'm already prepared not to see my idealized version of this stuff find its way to actual production.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #4649
Meliwen
Foot Soldier
 
Meliwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Although sadly I'm not sure how well a scenario with a reluctant Leo would actually mesh with the cocky one they're creating.
That's actually how I was thinking/hoping it'd work out. I think it could work if the reason Leo didn't want leadership is because he dislikes the responsibility that comes with it.

I'd love if Raph was one of the primary characters to try to convince Leo to start leading more, for reasons you said. I'd love to see him as the supportive big brother who's super proud of his little bros.
Meliwen is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #4650
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is where we disagree, but then...again, I'm coming at this from a transformative standpoint and not a curitorial one.
I'm used to having to go elsewhere for my fandom kicks, because I'm already prepared not to see my idealized version of this stuff find its way to actual production.
You'd not be interested in MirageDark or Daredevil Dark?

Like, for instance... I think the idea of Raph starting as leader of the brothers, and Leo being more of a rebel shirking responsibility, could be an excellent character arc for both of them.

But who's going to do it real justice? A cartoon with Gordon Ramsay spoofs and Splinter looking like... geez, I don't even KNOW what to call that thing. With techno-Donnie and pizza everywhere?

Or something akin to Frank Miller's Daredevil, just without Karen becoming a junkie hooker?

Tell me I'm wrong.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #4651
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You'd not be interested in MirageDark or Daredevil Dark?

Like, for instance... I think the idea of Raph starting as leader of the brothers, and Leo being more of a rebel shirking responsibility, could be an excellent character arc for both of them.

But who's going to do it real justice? A cartoon with Gordon Ramsay spoofs and Splinter looking like... geez, I don't even KNOW what to call that thing. With techno-Donnie and pizza everywhere?

Or something akin to Frank Miller's Daredevil, just without Karen becoming a junkie hooker?

Tell me I'm wrong.
You're wrong.
I don't trust Miller near his own work these days, let alone some of my favorite fictional characters.

That dude is like the hand-model from that episode of Seinfeld. He got high on his own success, and went pants-on-head bugfutz.
Uh-uh.
I've got enough problem with the ubiquitous misogyny this property garners, I don't need that guy's porn addiction added to it.

Now, if you were to say...suggest the folks who brought the first season of Daredevil to life. Sure.
Maybe the folks behind Legion, for the Dale Evans McGuillicutty arc. Great.

I have no problem with these dreams, because all of the things I'd like these characters to be and do are just that: Dreams.

Because at no point during any incarnation was I the demographic being catered to.
After a while, I just got used to it.

And all the Drum and Strang that goes on in these threads is just a bunch of other Olds And Busteds being upset at the fact that they're not the target audience anymore either.

Trust me, fandom is more fun when you take what you like from something, and then make something new with it.
Lie back and think of North Hampton, guys.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #4652
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 13,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

Trust me, fandom is more fun when you take what you like from something, and then make something new with it.
And that's swell. That's a perfect "coping skill". No argument.

My problem is, whether it's this or Star Wars or whatever franchise, if a longtime fan says, "I refuse to give this franchise my money or attention anymore, and I resent being so easily cast aside after I've essentially wasted so much money on following it," they're demonized for it, or at least for not keeping their "negative" opinion or feelings to themselves.

I'll concede that sometimes a point, once made, can then be left alone, and that some of us don't do that as often as we should, but that goes both ways. Just today, people were called "crybabies" simply for explaining exactly what they didn't like. So it's not like people who are "positive" behave any better, or are "in the right".

So anyway, perhaps if someone has made the point that they're dissatisfied, they should leave it at that and not constantly reiterate it, because it brings others' mood down. That's fair. They're not always "allowed" to just leave it there once they've made the point, but anyway. My point is simply, people should be allowed to say they think something sucks, as long as they can explain why they feel that way. And if it's already been said, well, there's no law against repeating yourself; you don't have to call someone names though. "You've made your point, I'm not sure you need to repeat it" works fine.

I never see that, though. I see a lot of "sad old man yelling at clouds" comments, and other dismissive nonsense, because a long-time, formerly-passionate-but-now-ignored person who's spent thousands of dollars on something they're passionate about is now told, quite literally, that their opinions mean nothing, and further, they need to "shut up and go away" because, "You're harshing the buzz, maaaaaaaaan."

So sure, fanfic is more productive than bitching. I agree. However, they both cost the same and neither is illegal. It's the "You don't like what I/we like, so you're not allowed to talk, period" mentality that I always have a real problem with. Pro- or Con-, if you can competently support your position then you have a place in the conversation, as far as I see it.
Leo656 is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #4653
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,782
You'd think after all the years of being told that my opinion on something doesn't matter because I'm not the target audience would make me more empathetic to the plight of the dudes who've aged out of relevance.

Alas.

And with that, I'm going to tap out.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #4654
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,718
... and to think that all of this started because Leonardo got face-punched.

#Punchgate
Papenbrook is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #4655
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior
 
Gunpowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
And...how many times have we seen Leo earn the right to lead?
Rather than just start out that way.
He's just the leader in Mirage.
He's listed as the leader in the OT, also in 2K3, and in the movies...
And in 2012, Splinter lets Leo be the leader because he asked first.

Though, to be fair, he proved after that (in numerous episodes, e.g. "New Girl in Town") that he was probably best-suited for the job anyway. In that iteration, at least.
__________________
Spoiler:
Spoiler:


Scumbag April.
Gunpowder is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #4656
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
The reason Raph didn't have to earn the leadership role is because this is a completely different take on it. They're clearly going to set it up so that Leo takes the top spot.

I don't mind having Leo eventually taking over and having things the way we're used to but please don't insult us Raph fans by having his leadership role stripped from him because they just have to make him out to be an idiot. I want there to be a good legitimate reason for Leo taking over. I predict it'll play out a lot less favorably though unfortunately.
Iím not even a big Raph fan and Iím super excited to see him lead for a while. This is new and exciting and different and it has way more spirit than either of the PD movies. Different isnít necessarily bad.
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #4657
Kit31
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 89
Okay, I've been silent for a while just reading along. Also to get this thread back on track, here's my take on the new show and the Turtles:

Raph - Uhhh, well...him being the leader is odd, but an interesting take on his character. It could be okay and maybe he'll decide to step down at some point. Being the oldest and self-appointing himself as the leader doesn't seem all that far-fetched. Older siblings are supposed to take charge, after all. As for his personality, I don't see him all that different from past incarnations. He's a brute, doesn't think before he punches something, and he's a hothead. Leadership qualities, hardly, but hopefully he'll settle down eventually.

Mikey - He could be fun. He seems to have his head together more than his 2012 counterpart, so that's a bonus.

Leo - Oh, boy. Being a huge Leo fan, I have to admit, this one has taken me aback a little. He could be fun, I guess. Some of his lines are very cringe-y, but he's also pretty witty and I like that. I don't have a huge problem with him not being the leader yet, since I'm sure he will be at some point. It just wouldn't be TMNT without Leo leading.

Donnie - Actually, Donnie became my favorite after the release of that animated comic that came out a few weeks ago. Him being an adrenaline junkie doesn't seem out of character so much since he's developed his own tech to keep himself safe. He might feel a bit more adventurous to try it out. I don't have a lot to go on with him yet (since his video is yet to be released) but he definitely is shaping up to be my favorite Turtle in this version so far.

My overall take on the show is that it could be fun. The changes are intriguing and I really want to see how they handle certain new aspects in TMNT that we've never seen before. I'm hyped up for the premiere coming next weekend and hopefully I'll like how things go for this series. I love the fact in most of the character videos we see them with their traditional weapons.

I think I've wasted enough of your time now. lol Carry on!

Last edited by Kit31; 07-11-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Kit31 is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #4658
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist
 
Sabacooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Iím not even a big Raph fan and Iím super excited to see him lead for a while. This is new and exciting and different and it has way more spirit than either of the PD movies. Different isnít necessarily bad.
Sure. It's more entertaining to see something different so for that alone I hope to see him lead for a while but in an effective way even if a bit flawed.
Sabacooza is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #4659
srmff
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 128
Well I'm a Leo fan and I'm open to the changes introduced so far. It might be fun to see this side of him. It is 'Rise f the TMNT' and it's meant to be them before how we know them so I do think that Leo may transition to closer to how we know him. Of course, there's no reason why he couldn't become a leader and still throw out his one-liners that irritate his brothers (I hope that he has enough self-awareness to know that his one-liners irritate his brothers but he just can't resist). After all, Leo in the 2012 version in his early days also came out with lines that annoyed his brothers. I'm looking forward to the first episode and enjoying it for what it is.

At least with TMNT, these are all alternate dimensions so you can completely disregard it if you don't like it. Even if it totally destroyed Leo's character, I can just dismiss that version of him. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Star Wars where it's a continuation and they just destroyed Luke's character for me. The last film left a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing it and it's the only Star Wars film that I haven't purchased and as of now, I don't have any inclination to see the sequel since I actually don't have any interest in it anymore. I wasn't tempted to see Solo at all.

As someone said, I tend to prefer the more 'boring' noble characters. I prefer Luke to Han, Captain America to Iron Man, etc. However, Seto Kaiba is an exception to that rule for some reason.
srmff is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #4660
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
.

At least with TMNT, these are all alternate dimensions so you can completely disregard it if you don't like it. Even if it totally destroyed Leo's character, I can just dismiss that version of him. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Star Wars where it's a continuation and they just destroyed Luke's character for me. The last film left a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing it and it's the only Star Wars film that I haven't purchased and as of now, I don't have any inclination to see the sequel since I actually don't have any interest in it anymore. I wasn't tempted to see Solo at all..
Luke was the best part of that film.
CyberCubed is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.