The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > The Technodrome News

Notices

Old 09-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Nturtle
Ninja Master

Wizard World Boston

It's been a real slow week TMNT news wise... let's see what we've got...

Peter Laird, Jim Lawson, Michael Dooney, Eric Talbot, Dan Berger and Steve Lavigne will all be at Wizard World Boston at booths 139-141. The con runs from September 30th-October 2nd.

And that's all...
Peace.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
cqb101
Cinephile

YES! This totally makes up for the fact that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes had to cancel.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Not totally, but it helps.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie
Not totally, but it helps.
Ya, you're right. I was just trying to make myself feel good.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
kyabetsu
Foot Elite

awesome! thank you for the booth numbers, Nturtle!

I guess i'll see any of y'all who're going THERE!

...i guess it doesn't really help, cause it's after the fact AND cause it was retailer exclusive, but Kevin Eastman was with the Heavy Metal magazine crew at the retailer summit last monday. But he confirmed he'd not be at WWB.
kyabetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
cqb101
Cinephile

What day(s) are y'all gonna be going? I just got a one day pass for Saturday, there wasn't really enough that I wanted to see to warrant any more than that.

BTW, this will be my first con, any tips for a newbie?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
kyabetsu
Foot Elite

since Kevin and i (bf) aren't local--- AND we're looking to promote the hell out of the new web-comic (he's primary pencils, i'm the studios's primary inker)-- we'll be there all three days.

As for "tips?"

If you intend to buy comics in any kind of "more than 3" way-- b/c towards the end of the con (especially Sunday) the prices will DROP on back issues-- bring a comfortable back pack or even a wheeled luggage thing. You'll see folks who KNOW they're gonna buy heavily with several short boxes bungee-corded to wheeled luggage rack things. I'm personally gonna have a backpack and prolly my wheelie luggage, but that's b/c i'm buying for the store back here in MD AND for a whole slew of folks in the tmnt fandom that can't GET to conventions.

Bring your own bottle of water and a bunch of snacks. As the con goes on, you'll avoid having to buy con-food (which is stupidly expensive) and you'll slowly give yourself more space for STUFF as you eat your bag to emptiness. Eat a hearty breakfast-- and plan on a hearty dinner.

Comfy shoes... maybe a camera if you pictures with your favorite artists or with the costumed folk-- b/c while cosplay's not as HUGE at a comic con as it is with the Anime conventions... it still happens.

For sketches and signings! My suggestion is to pop down to your local comic book store and buy a pack of magazine boards. They're not gonna get bent up, they're the right size for framing, and unlike the blank books you'll see getting handed around for sketches, you can get sketches and signatures from more than ONE artist. ((some folks do the blank book thing-- but artists can can an entire day to finish up all the book-sketches they've promised fans. so in the mean time, you don't have anything for ANOTHER artist to sketch on....))

other than that? just gear yourself up to be patient. There'll be lots of lines and folks without manners... And the more of us who are chill enough to just go with the flow, the cooler the con is. Saturday will be the busiest day--so if you're looking for one on one time with any artists-- it may be in short supply.

but yeah, prices'll drop on sunday when vendors become more desperate to get RID of their stock. Otherwise they've gotta cart it all home. so yeah... yaaay sundays. 1.00$ a book becomes 0.75$ or 0.50$ a book-- though books "in demand" right now "SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1" or the golden/silver age stuff-- those are gonna be $$$ still.

Keep an eye out for getting ripped off. As a retailer, when i go to these things, i get PISSED at the amount of $$$ some of these vendors take people for. Don't be afraid to bargain for back issues-- and when you bargain? if the salesperson is NOT cooperating? be prepared to follow through on "i'm NOT buying these at that price." If they see you're GONNA walk off and they'll make NO money-- they may change their minds.

I'll let you in on a secret. Back issues? RANDOM back issues? NEVER pay guide for them. guide is marked up b/c it's owned by some one who's still got comic book stores (Jeppy's) --who knows that folks tend to "go by guide." if any vendor spent more than $30 on a LONG box of random back issues? they're poor business people. Good return on any money for a store? is the original cost doubled. so... if $60 is a good return on a WHOLE long box of ~300 bagged and boarded books? ... dont' let'em get you to spend $2 a book.

but that IS just for RANDOM back issues (before 1975) ... if you're looking at a complete run of mint "Infinity Gauntlet" or something... then yes. you've gotta know they paid more for that, and are charging accordingly.

but yeah. eyes out for sneaky vendors. If you dont' buy from them, there's others out there... and failing that? there's ebay.

...dangit. i wrote a book. sorry. but yeah. mostly? never buy more than you can carry. Shop around before you buy anything. Wear comfy shoes, drink lots of water. And never go 'con'ing when angry.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
cqb101
Cinephile

Thanks for the tips, Kya! It's much appreciated.

Honestly, I don't really plan on buying any backissues. I really just wanna go for the experience and to get some comics signed. Do artists limit the amount you can get signed, and do they usually charge for signatures? I know some actors do, so I'll probably stay away from them, but I haven't heard anything about writers/pencilers. Also, how do you go about asking an artist for a sketch? Do you just straight up ask them? That seems kinda weird to me, expecially if there's a long line.....

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions, and sorry if I'm being a nuisance.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
kyabetsu
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqb101
Thanks for the tips, Kya! It's much appreciated.

Honestly, I don't really plan on buying any backissues. I really just wanna go for the experience and to get some comics signed. Do artists limit the amount you can get signed, and do they usually charge for signatures? I know some actors do, so I'll probably stay away from them, but I haven't heard anything about writers/pencilers. Also, how do you go about asking an artist for a sketch? Do you just straight up ask them? That seems kinda weird to me, expecially if there's a long line.....

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions, and sorry if I'm being a nuisance.
no prob. not a nuisance. all good. flu meds eating brain. talk like hulk.

some artists charge for sketches, not signatures. really popular artists may have a cap on number of things they'll sign. if you ask for a sketch in a book? You leave the book, they get to it when they can. if you want a quick sketch on one of those magazine boards? ask. they'll do it then and FAST. ... just remember your pleases and thank yous. if they draw comics now, they used to be comic fans just like us-non-famous-people. Most are really nice and laid back. if asking for sketch--have something in mind that they've drawn or you know THEY like too-- talk to them about it while you're up there if nothing else comes to mind.

hope that helps. losing eye focus. goin' to bed. night!