The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you rather have the ability to create world peace OR have millions?
End conflict & have peace 9 56.25%
Millions of dollars$$$ 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Would you rather end human conflict or have millions of dollars?

Tough choice, have the ability to end human conflict and create world peace OR have 45 million dollars?

Last edited by TurtleWA; 09-28-2017 at 05:53 PM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

By ending human conflict, do you mean changing people's hearts so they will no longer want to kill each other or physically limiting them from being able to commit violence?

In either situation, I'd pick ending human conflict. Unless the peace options means forcibly mind controlling others or something.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-28-2017 at 06:00 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

This sounds like a total Twilight Zone type of situation.

You choose to end human conflict? Everyone's already dead, or emotionless robot-like beings

You choose to have $45 million? It's in video game currency or some ****
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
By ending human conflict, do you mean changing people's hearts so they will no longer want to kill each other or physically limiting them from being able to commit violence?

In either situation, I'd pick ending human conflict.
I sorta imagine a one wish scenario between either tons of money or no wars/conflicts. Let's leave it up to the person making the wish when it comes to the details.

No strings attached or loopholes.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 09-28-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hmm...

Well, if humanity is still salvageable then I suppose I'd be drawn to do the more ethical choice. World peace would have a value far greater in the long run than the money.

But a million dollars would be nice (sans tax)... Need not be 45 million.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't believe in world peace; I don't believe humans can or will learn to get along and peacefully coexist.

The odds of me becoming a billionaire are a safer bet than pax humana, so yeah, I'll take that million.

#optimism
Old 09-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Screw world peace. SHOW ME THE MONEY.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't believe in world peace; I don't believe humans can or will learn to get along and peacefully coexist.

The odds of me becoming a billionaire are a safer bet than pax humana, so yeah, I'll take that million.

#optimism
Basically this. You could squash every beef in the world and end all the senseless wars going on and people would just think up new reasons to hurt one another.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Attempt some influence of world peace with a large portion of you $45 million? It might not be much but one could ideally make the world a better place for someone or some population. Maybe it's a maternity hospital in a rural community that can't get to big hospitals far from their reach. Maybe it's water in a community without it. Maybe it's using nearly all of it to replace Flint's water pipes. Maybe it's making sure an Indigenous Peoples reserve gets something decent within it to live on.

It might not be World Peace, but one could still do something for their fellow man with $45 million.

So yeah. $45 million. I could probably keep 4 million and live the rest of my life in comfort while the rest can go to important causes that could at the very least stabilize a few struggling communities.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

#optimism
saaaaaaame #practicality
Old 09-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Most likely in reality odds favor winning the lottery over peace on earth. But in a hypothetical get one wish scenario odds are exactly even. It just depends on what you decide. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You could squash every beef in the world and end all the senseless wars going on and people would just think up new reasons to hurt one another.
So basically no amount of magic could ever alter a humans ability to inflict pain and suffering?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No, no, this is the magical ability to end all fighting. Like humankind gets a lobotomy to take out aggressive impulses. edit: Or what #TurtleWAJustSaid
Old 09-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
So basically no amount of magic could ever alter a humans ability to inflict pain and suffering?
Yeah.

See every "be careful what you wish for" type story ever done for reference
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
No, no, this is the magical ability to end all fighting. Like humankind gets a lobotomy to take out aggressive impulses. edit: Or what #TurtleWAJustSaid
I would like to say I picked peace and to end human conflict. But I did choose money in the poll. I feel a little selfish. I imagine it's easier to forget about conflicts halfway around the world when you have super nice things.

Also, I could ease my guilt by donating to charities. And I would have an increase in happiness by all the family and friends I could help with the money. I guess I choose family and myself over the world and strangers. Some may consider that awful.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

It's a lot easier to ignore human conflict when you're rich. Obvious choice.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Didn't even actually choose in the poll until now. While the money would be super nice, it would never leave my mind that I could have impacted the whole world in a good way... Hopefully going that route would end up coming back around to impacting my own life too, even if it didn't make me rich. (But maybe better off if it also ended greed, jobs improve, wages go up, etc.)

Now, to further complicate it... What do you think the green boys would each choose and why? (And in the case of the money, what would they do with it.)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #17
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I don’t even have to think. Peace on Earth. Human lives are worth more than money. Money isn’t that important to me.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I don’t even have to think. Peace on Earth. Human lives are worth more than money. Money isn’t that important to me.
Well not everyone is the boss of a Fortune 500 company and makes $150,000 a year.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm certainly not. But priorities are different. Takes all kinds.

But maybe you millionaires might at least consider donating a few dollars toward our efforts to change the world for the better of all. (Including yourselves, since the removal of all human conflict would include alleviating the trouble people often have after coming into such money.)

Too bad names don't show. I kinda want to know who our World Changing Warrior Super Hero Team is.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-28-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #20
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
That is very noble of you and I respect that. However those that choose the money option are not by default saying money is more important than human life. With my earlier explanation of why I chose money. I'm thinking of it sorta like a choice between saving a bus full of strangers versus a car full of family and friends. With the money I would save less human life's but see the daily impact and faces of those I did help.