The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Which character did you play with?
Dude, you got a whole paragraph instead of a one-word response! It must be a Swedish thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Pit Fighter
I forgot all about Pit Fighter! OMG!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Dude, you got a whole paragraph instead of a one-word response! It must be a Swedish thing....
Clarity and additional information is important, the fact that he asked about what character I did it with implies he doesn't know about the lack of a character select.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #23
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Clarity and additional information is important, the fact that he asked about what character I did it with implies he doesn't know about the lack of a character select.
Ahhhhh I understand. My comment was mostly a joke, but I definitely understand.

-thumb's up-
Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #24
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

What's odd to me any way, that even though SF1 gets a bad rap as a well bad game, I did enjoy it. Yeah its no SFII and later fighting games, and the controls are wocky, but the graphics for the time were top notice. Mt Rushmore, the Slums of London, ete, they all look great. I really think SF1 is a underrated gem imo. And I do enjoy playing the hell out of it lol. One time I spend a whole month playing nothing but SF1 lol. During that period, some one would say hey lets play Mortal Kombat or SF2, or even the top fighting game in 2005? And I am like, no I am good.

I had pick up the Capcom classics collection for the ps2(Year I forgot) and I never played SF1. So I played it, got hook on it for a month. by day 2, I was beating the game almost undefeated and was able to get Ryu's moves off at a pretty consistent level. Saget and Adon were always 50 50 battles one way or the other. To this day, I hold the first SF1 game at a every high regard to what it tried to do. It was a pretty big jump from the top fighting game of past eras like Karate champ, to this. You can see the foundation of what would be SF2 in this game, but it was not there yet.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

I picked up the SF Collection on XBox One a while back and played all of them for a while, but I mostly skipped over the first Street Fighter. I was curious because I'd never played it before, but I didn't really have the patience for it. I played each of the others for a couple of hours but I only spent a few minutes on the first one. I just wasn't having fun. I was surprised at how much better everything else in the set was. I was never very good at SF back then, and I'm still not great or even good, but I was at least able to beat all of the games in the set except the first one.

Maybe one day I'll specifically make it a point to finish it just for the sake of completion, but I'm not in much of a hurry.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I really think SF1 is a underrated gem imo.
It did a lot for a fighting games (introduced 6-button control scheme and special moves), but gem it is not. Even without comparing it to SF2, it is just not a good game when it comes to execution of its ideas.

Graphics are nice, though. And music is listenable, even if generic.

I thought about buying SF Anniversary collection for PC, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it (problems with online, lack of additional versions of certain games), so I decided not to do it. Besides, it's quite expensive in Russia. Mortal Kombat 11 at the launch was cheaper than this collection.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I picked up the SF Collection on XBox One a while back and played all of them for a while, but I mostly skipped over the first Street Fighter. I was curious because I'd never played it before
It took on kind of a mythic quality for me as a kid. I mean, there were arcades everywhere as a kid, but no one I knew anywhere could ever say in good conscience they'd ever actually seen or played Street Fighter I anywhere.

I eventually found an arcade game... I think it was called "Fighting Street." It even had Ken in it, but it was a side-scrolling beat'em up. I convinced myself that was the real Street Fighter 1.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #28
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
anywhere could ever say in good conscience they'd ever actually seen or played Street Fighter I anywhere.
It was in arcades around '87, '88. I remember playing it there, but it didn't make any sense - the whole controller input style was a new thing and wasn't broadcasted very well. I remember giving up on it quickly, but playing another game next to it intensely - it was called "Vigilante". Vigilante was the first arcade game I ever beat in an actual arcade.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I remember playing it there, but it didn't make any sense - the whole controller input style was a new thing and wasn't broadcasted very well.
Was it arcade cabinet with 6 buttons or 2 pressure sensitive ones?

Quote:
It took on kind of a mythic quality for me as a kid. I mean, there were arcades everywhere as a kid, but no one I knew anywhere could ever say in good conscience they'd ever actually seen or played Street Fighter I anywhere.

I eventually found an arcade game... I think it was called "Fighting Street." It even had Ken in it, but it was a side-scrolling beat'em up. I convinced myself that was the real Street Fighter 1.
I haven't played Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha games until the middle of 2000s, but I know they existed. The most confusing thing was whereabouts of Street Fighter 1 - no I know, even mentioned anything about it and I've never seen any mentions of it anywhere else, in gaming magazines, TV-shows and so on.

It got to the point, where I was even thinking that Street Fighter 2 was the first game in the series.

In comparison, despite never playing Mortal Kombat 1, I knew about its existence and saw carts with it in shops.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It got to the point, where I was even thinking that Street Fighter 2 was the first game in the series.
Yeah, that was my first notion. Then I saw "Fighting Street" in the arcade and figured that was it.

Eventually the mystery my dad gave me Street Fighter 1... for PC. It was on a single 3.5" diskette. It was actually pretty playable for what it was.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Was it arcade cabinet with 6 buttons or 2 pressure sensitive ones?
Oh God, I don't know. I don't even remember that there would've been variation. I just remember not really understanding the point as a kid, and it took me a minute to figure out why you couldn't turn your character around to face the other direction! LOL! I definitely didn't even realize there was a "dragon punch" or "joystick sweeping" as command inputs at the time. It wasn't until I learned about Street Fighter II that I really came to understand the actual nature of a one on one, screen locked fighting game.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #32
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It did a lot for a fighting games (introduced 6-button control scheme and special moves), but gem it is not. Even without comparing it to SF2, it is just not a good game when it comes to execution of its ideas.

Graphics are nice, though. And music is listenable, even if generic.

I thought about buying SF Anniversary collection for PC, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it (problems with online, lack of additional versions of certain games), so I decided not to do it. Besides, it's quite expensive in Russia. Mortal Kombat 11 at the launch was cheaper than this collection.
Lets pretend that SFII in 1992 never happen. The world was destroy in 1987. This game was made in the 80's. We are barely over the level of say Pac Man, Yeah it did not set the world on fire like SF2 or MK1/2, but it push games graphic wise along with final fight to the next level. The only flaw I see is the wacky controls, BUT if you know how to preform the moves, you should get them off at a high level. The specials can make or break a fight vs the top guys like Saget. I do think it is a underated gem, and did push the fighting game market to the next level. Most fighting games in the 80's was pretty much player 1 and player 2, which is what SF1 follow with Ryu and Ken. For the time, I think SF1 was ground breaking for its hey day. Of course once SFII hit Arcades a few years later, SF1 was pretty much left in the dust. Even though I say its a gem, I will admitted the game did not age well, no way the controls would past today.

But I more or less look at it in the time period, and not really what came later.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #33
Sumac
Banned

SF1 has a lot more problems than just awkward execution of specials.
There are also wonky hitboxes and lack of animations, which make characters "dash" and attack at very odd moments. And horrible physics too.

It is kind of fun, because, SF1 has all elements of a modern fighting game, but all of them are executed horribly.

And it was not because of the age - spiritual successors for this game, made by the same people, Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting, has all the same problems, and they have been released after SF2.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hey, does anyone remember a fighting game that came out around the early 90s? I think it was just for PC. The main bad guy had a great big mouth with teeth in his belly.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #35
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Hey, does anyone remember a fighting game that came out around the early 90s? I think it was just for PC. The main bad guy had a great big mouth with teeth in his belly.
I don't recall too many PC fighting games.... maybe Karateka? I never beat it so I don't know what the boss looked like.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, that was my first notion. Then I saw "Fighting Street" in the arcade and figured that was it.

Eventually the mystery my dad gave me Street Fighter 1... for PC. It was on a single 3.5" diskette. It was actually pretty playable for what it was.
Fighting Street? I know the console port of SFI is called Fighting Street (the only changes beyond the title are slightly worse graphics, a much better soundtrack and the ability pick Birdie/Lee as your first opponent). But they sure as hell didn't convert it into a Beat-Em-Up.

Maybe you're thinking of Final Fight? It gives you the option of either playing the blond character Cody or the red gi wearing Guy, both of whom I suspect could be mistaken for Ken. I wouldn't blame you for conflating it with Street Fighter I, Capcom even does it intentionally for the SFI Arcade mode in SFV (though that might just be bacause SFV only has four SFI characters).

Hahahaha!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Fighting Street? I know the console port of SFI is called Fighting Street (the only changes beyond the title are slightly worse graphics, a much better soundtrack and the ability pick Birdie/Lee as your first opponent). But they sure as hell didn't convert it into a Beat-Em-Up.

Maybe you're thinking of Final Fight? It gives you the option of either playing the blond character Cody or the red gi wearing Guy, both of whom I suspect could be mistaken for Ken. I wouldn't blame you for conflating it with Street Fighter I, Capcom even does it intentionally for the SFI Arcade mode in SFV (though that might just be bacause SFV only has four SFI characters).

No, no, definitely not Final Fight. Maybe I'm getting the name wrong but it was an arcade game where you play as Ken (not sure if Ryu was in it) and go around beating people up in roughly the style of Final Fight. I'd been to tons of arcades but I only ever saw it once, at a Fred Meyer, but I'd often find myself waiting for my mom to finish grocery shopping so I'd play the f*** out of it.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
No, no, definitely not Final Fight. Maybe I'm getting the name wrong but it was an arcade game where you play as Ken (not sure if Ryu was in it) and go around beating people up in roughly the style of Final Fight. I'd been to tons of arcades but I only ever saw it once, at a Fred Meyer, but I'd often find myself waiting for my mom to finish grocery shopping so I'd play the f*** out of it.
Now I actually want to identify this game. Is it any of these?

Hahahaha!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
A bit of trivia:
Final Fight and Street Fighter are set in the same universe.
In fact, first FF was supposed to be a sequel to the Street Fighter 1 and was called "Street Fighter '89", until someone at Capcom saw that games has nothing to do with each other.

There was also a game on NES called Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight. But it was a platformer not a fighting game, though. Surprisingly it is kind of canon, as of Street Fighter V.