The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Resident Evil games

Is anybody "in the know"? I've done a good amount of Googling but I'm not 100% up to speed.

Basically, what systems have the best versions of the games? I see there was a new Switch version of 0 that appears to be the most recent release of that game... but is that the same as the remastered version that's available on PS4, or different/better? What about the rest?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:17 AM   #2
Turo602
The King of Kings

Last I heard, Resident Evil 0 on Switch was terrible due to horrible load times that continue on passed the door sequences. They even implemented a new rotating icon just so you know the game hasn't crashed. And just know, you go through many doors in Resident Evil, so that's a real pain. I've heard of game breaking bugs for Resident Evil 0 on the other platforms, but I don't know how much of an issue it really is and it is kind of the only way to play the game these days unless you can manage finding the game on the Gamecube or Wii, which as far as I know, have no issues and are identical.

I don't think REmake has any issues on the Switch from what I heard, but you can't really go wrong with any platform for the HD remaster of that one.

I think the Dreamcast versions of RE2 and RE3 have been said to be the superior versions of the game. I don't know which version the Gamecube ports are based on, but they're all practically the same.

Code Veronica got an HD port last gen which is probably the way to go for that game and I personally find the last gen remaster of RE4 to be superior to this gen's remaster as I've noticed audio issues with kicking open doors and shooting as well as a weird looking reload animation with the sniper which is all probably due to the game being in 60 frames since that's the only real difference between last gen's and this gen's remasters.

Resident Evil 5 seems to run solid on all current platforms as does RE6, so current gen is a great way to get into those games.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

But is RE 0 graphically this new thing (vs. Switch version)... or the same thing available on PS4?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-12-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
Turo602
The King of Kings

They should both be the same graphically. Nothing too spectacular has been done to the game graphically that the Switch couldn't handle. The HD remasters were available last gen too. So it should be fine in that department.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:58 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
They should both be the same graphically. Nothing too spectacular has been done to the game graphically that the Switch couldn't handle. The HD remasters were available last gen too. So it should be fine in that department.
I mean to say... Resident Evil 0 had its remasters in 2016 on PS4 and X-Box One, but the Resident Evil 0 remaster on Switch JUST came out, last year. Is it exactly the same as the 2016 remaster?

Also, are there any moderately remastered versions of the Code Veronica games anywhere?
Old 04-15-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I mean to say... Resident Evil 0 had its remasters in 2016 on PS4 and X-Box One, but the Resident Evil 0 remaster on Switch JUST came out, last year. Is it exactly the same as the 2016 remaster?

Also, are there any moderately remastered versions of the Code Veronica games anywhere?
Yes, they're the same game. It's a port of the HD remaster. However, it seems to have been poorly optimized on Switch because of the loading issue I mentioned earlier.

The PS3 and 360 got HD remasters of Code Veronica digitally. You can still get it on Xbox One because it's a backward compatible title. However, the PS4 also has Code Veronica under their Playstation 2 Classics on PSN which emulates PS2 games in HD.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I love resident evil Zero, so underrated.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Resident Evil 4 came out on the quest and i think it's the definitive version of the game. You literally feel like you are there
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Resident Evil 4 came out on the quest and i think it's the definitive version of the game. You literally feel like you are there
The RE4 remaster is probably going to drop soon, too.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Would prettier graphics be able to top actually being inside the world though?
Old 10-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Would prettier graphics be able to top actually being inside the world though?
Probably. I was watching the wife play through RE4 again a while back and it does look fairly dated in places.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Probably. I was watching the wife play through RE4 again a while back and it does look fairly dated in places.
Yeah, it's aged the worst of all the modern Resident Evil games. Definitely looking forward to the remake and hopefully it'll address a lot of the issues with the original and make a decent survival horror game out of it.

The VR one apparently awkwardly censors lines of dialogue which seems to be a thing Capcom is doing these days which sucks. They're trying too hard to appease stupid westerners and protect their dollar before anyone can come after them.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

yes they censored some dialog so Leon isn't as flirty and they don't mention the big boobs of Ashley which sucks that they did it but it doesn't affect the game play. And being able to "be" in the RE4 world, touch things, walk around it, get attacked, is all mind blowing. The graphics are sometimes better than the gamecube game when it comes to textures but some models might not look as good but none of that matters, the immersion makes the difference. I don't think a current gen remake that isn't VR would be able to match the experience.
I skipped on playing RE7 VR but now I definitely want to do it.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:41 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

I didn't get to play a Resident Evil game until a couple of years ago.

The remake of the original RE game was on sale in the Nintendo eshop. I shrugged and bought it.

Really liked the game. Had never played a survival horror game like that before.

I had always heard about the RE series obviously. But I never really had the chance to play it even though its games can be foujdnin pretty much every single system, including Nintendo ones. The GameCube had plenty of RE games for it, but for some reason, I never actually got any of them.

Better late than never I'd say. A shame RE2 and RE3 aren't available for the Switch. 4, 5, 6 and the revelations games are, though.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:24 AM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

I've had bad luck with these. Never played the originals, got most of the ones for Gamecube (RE3 and C:V are too damned rare and expensive now) but never played them. I always insist on playing a series in storyline order and I always get stuck about halfway through RE0 in a place where I'd need to restart the entire thing. I've tried like three separate times and couldn't hack it, therefore I never played the rest. I own some of them two or three times over for various consoles, and keep swearing to myself that I will get this sh*t done eventually. But so far, never had much luck.

Everybody tells me "Just skip 0, it's not even that great" and they don't really grasp the way I like to do things. I don't doubt them but I'm committed to going in storyline order because that is how I like to play a series.

I've had better luck with Silent Hill games. Only played a few but I managed to complete them at least, usually without too much trouble at all other than needing to look up a solution to a particularly obtuse puzzle. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I must have beaten that one like five times at least.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Is the RE series really that plot heavy to the point of each game being connected, though?

Surely one can just pick up a random game in the series and not feel lost. Video games aren't like movies, TV shows or cartoon series. It would not be a good business strategy to make your series very difficult for newcomers to get into, especially when said series has many different games by now, like RE does.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:01 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Considering how the Wiki for the franchise is longer than the King James Bible, I am willing to assume that Yes, on some level the story must matter somewhat (even if almost all of it is batsh*t lunacy anyway). I mean if it didn't matter at all then there wouldn't be SO much of it.

I do have a few friends who "love" the franchise and have played several games and couldn't even begin to tell you what the hell the games' plot is because they themselves never cared, they just thought it was cool how sometimes you could shoot zombies with a bazooka, or whatever. But I mean, if that's all I wanna do for a weekend I have Lollipop Chainsaw... which is AMAZING. Especially once you unlock Juliet's tiny little bikinis.

But anyways, I mean, yeah, I would like to try and immerse myself in the lore, such as it is, while playing through the series. If I play them out of order I won't be able to keep track of anything, and if I don't care at all then I'll just play some Silent Hill stuff again since those games are generally more cerebral.

MGS is another one. People are like, "Just pick one and play it, the story doesn't matter, it doesn't even make sense anyway, it's about the gameplay." And while I'll admit that the gameplay is king, after doing the full series run in storyline order back in 2018-2019 I can attest that no, that's bullsh*t, the plot DOES matter and it absolutely DOES make sense, and it's epic as all hell... it's just... well, "convoluted" is a bit of oversimplification, though apt. "It makes perfect sense IF you completely immerse yourself in it from A to Z and pay absolute attention to Every Single Detail, and such immersion will be rewarded upon completion of the series" is I guess the best way I can describe it. Like, I'd played most of them many times, and yet, it was quite amazing just how much of it had just gone right over my head without the context of treating the series like one long narrative. In some ways it felt like I was only "really" playing most of them for the very first time. It was pretty f*cking neat, actually.

Don't ask me to explain it, though, I'm not in the right headspace. I'd need to be completely sleep-deprived, stoned off my ass on weed and running on about six cups of coffee while playing through them all again stopping only for sleep and bathroom breaks. Because IF YOU DO THAT then the plot of the MGS saga makes absolute perfect sense. I'll throw hands with anyone who says otherwise.

I doubt the plotline of the RE saga is anywhere near as life-affirming as that of MGS, but then again nothing in this world is. So it still might be pretty good.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:17 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Well there's 2 different characters with different cutscenes in each RE game. Also, each plays differently. That seems to be the formula in most games.

RE games seem to be designed to be played through several times, so that you can unlock every achievement and outfit.

I don't know what route the story takes in other games of the series, but Capcom has always been a bit inconsistent with the lore of their series. Just look at Mega Man and Street Fighter example. I'd be very surprised if the Resident Evil franchise story and lore doesn't have a lot of plot holes and poorly explained details as well.

Well, RE is a survival horror series, so you can't just go around and blow up zombies constantly as if you were in Doom. That's what makes it interesting. But I dunno if most other games play like the original. I've heard RE4 is a big departure from the original's gameplay.

Sadly I cannot play 2 or 3. They're not on the Switch. Not even the GameCube versions. The remasters will probably never make into it either. All other games are available for it, but I'd like to try out 2 and 3 first before heading to 4.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:52 PM   #19
Turo602
The King of Kings

Starting with Zero is a bit of a fool's errand, especially for someone inexperienced with the series. I believe REmake released first for that very reason as it served as the foundation for Zero and got people familiar with what a Resident Evil game is like before they f*cked with the formula by having you control 2 characters at once and added the extra difficulty and tedium of removing the item boxes, which itself was a response to how stagnant the series was becoming.

The story of the series is also pretty much all over the place. The way the story plays out in the original trilogy is not necessarily the way it plays out canonically and even the recent remakes go against the stuff that has been long established in their original counterparts and canonical retellings. Resident Evil Zero, while mostly inconsequential to the overall story, only really serves to further fuel the retcons made by Code Veronica and REmake to Wesker's original fate in the first game. The Umbrella Chronicles takes this even further by adding lots of new lore to the series to try and make the story more coherent and tie up any loose ends.

But a lot of this doesn't really matter by Resident Evil 4 as it completely distances itelf from the main story and writes off the original plot in the dumbest way possible. Resident Evil 5 is no different with how it recontextualizes the whole Chris vs Wesker arc with newly added lore that has absolutely nothing to do with the old games and was pretty much the end of the original series from a story standpoint with Resident Evil 6 being set up as a new chapter in the series despite Resident Evil 7 and 8 ditching all the plot points it set up for some weird nonsense story about a bland guy named Ethan, his dry vagina wife, and his stupid kid.

Then there's the Revelations series which has also been neglected, which served to fill in the gaps between the action era games by diving deeper into aspects of the lore that came from nowhere like the BSAA, Terasave, and the mysterious Alex Wesker. But there hasn't been a new entry in 7 years or any kind of follow up to any of the story or characters introduced in these games.

The series may have started with some kind of initial goal in mind from game to game, but looking back at it, it was never really that connected, outside of Chris Redfield being a key plot device from game to game. The idea is that all these characters would eventually come together in some fashion and take down Umbrella, but that was all scrapped during Resident Evil 4's development, which was further muddled by the giant Wesker retcon they left themselves with that at the time, felt like it was leading to something meaningful, but was then immediately written off in RE5 after RE4 killed the series.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm reading this as "The whole series is a bunch of overrated nonsense that only originally got super popular because zombies hadn't become The Most F*cking Annoyingly Overused Plot Device In The Entire Recorded History Of Fiction yet back in 1996." That's mostly what I'm gleaning from this conversation.