The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

View Poll Results: Of the first batch of customs, which is your favourite?
Nightmare Raphael 8 13.56%
Tournament Fighters April 7 11.86%
Mini-Mutants Super Shredder 7 11.86%
Real Movie Star Foot Soldier 13 22.03%
Lost Season Splinter 24 40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #181
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Whoa! The TF trio Mutating Shredders legs on Shredders body was a good call there! He looks way more natural than the other 2 Shredders ever did!
I got the idea when I was removing the head and helmet from Mutatin' Shredder, and I saw that his legs would have been far better on the standard Shredder's body than the permanently bent legs that he had previously. Once I actually got 'em onto the body, I noticed how much better it looked.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #182
Ninjinister
無問題

Finally finished one! This is my first one done after the Laird for Patraw's contest

Warrior Bebop (Metallic version)

Ugh... trust me, better photos will be here some day....

This is one of the many toys that Playmates has refused to release over the years. It should have released at the same time as Warrior Metalhead Michaelangelo, Winged Warrior Donatello, Winged Warrior Leonardo, Warrior Chrome Dome, Warrior Rocksteady, and (the also unreleased) Warrior Rahzar with fur.

Being a simple recoloring like the Mike, Chrome Dome, and Rocksteady in this set, I'm surprised that Playmates didn't just go for the cheap buck option and release this, too. Maybe they realized before launch that there already was a figure named Warrior Bebop....

Anyway, the fun thing about Warrior Rocksteady and Warrior Bebop (and Warrior Metalhead Mike) is that they weren't, storyline-wise, repainted versions of the robots, but instead, the organic characters transformed into different colored versions of their robot counterparts. Pretty neat, huh? Makes you wonder why Warrior Chrome Dome wasn't Warrior Shredder instead...

Parts used:
Robotic Bebop (1993, Playmates) Body
Robotic Rocksteady (1993, Playmates) Left hand and shoulder guns (these were missing from the Bebop when I got him in a lot)
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #183
Powder
So tired of this place

i dig that! whats in the background eh? another masterpiece in the works?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #184
Ninjinister
無問題

The sword on the table is for one of the old Triceraton figures, since they used them in the comics and were actually shown on the card art for the figure as using one, but the figure lacked one in the package.

The primer'd figure in the background is unrelated to TMNT.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #185
Wes
Mad Scientist

ARMADOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm still wounded about that. Moving on.

That Warrior Bebop looks pretty smooth! I kinda want to know more about that primed figure in the background, though... and about what you used to prime the figure and how well the stuff sticks. I need to paint a toy completely white (no washes or drybrushing, just super flat gleaming white) but need the paint to stick hardcore.

In keeping with the 8-bit thing, I think I prefer that Shredder without a drybrushing job or a wash. Also, with Patraw being an awesome expert customizer and all, I think he overstates the simplicity of those techniques! I'm absolutely horrible with both, though I've gotten okay with washes since I started using the wipe method.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #186
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
ARMADOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
It's not like I broke 'im myself. He was missing part of his tail when I received him in a box of fodder. I think my co-worker used that tail piece. As it is, I keep the back of Hothead's tail obscured because it looks weird broken.

Quote:
That Warrior Bebop looks pretty smooth! I kinda want to know more about that primed figure in the background, though... and about what you used to prime the figure and how well the stuff sticks. I need to paint a toy completely white (no washes or drybrushing, just super flat gleaming white) but need the paint to stick hardcore.
I use the same paint that's in the photo: just store brand from JoAnn's fabric. It's what I've started using ever since I found Testor's to be too little of a portion for the price paid. I use a different brand from the same store (though the name escapes me... Ceramicolor, maybe?) for colors JoAnn's doesn't come from, like metallics and skin colors.

Quote:
In keeping with the 8-bit thing, I think I prefer that Shredder without a drybrushing job or a wash. Also, with Patraw being an awesome expert customizer and all, I think he overstates the simplicity of those techniques! I'm absolutely horrible with both, though I've gotten okay with washes since I started using the wipe method.
Wipe method? I'm imagining you taking TP to a Shredder figure now
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #187
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
NES Tournament Fighters Trio

I had initially planned to enter these guys into Patraw's contest, before I got the necessary pieces for Mr. Laird. Unfortunately, I haven't completed any customs since Peter... I started a couple, but just have been busy with other things and/or haven't had the drive.

Oh well, onto the figures!

NES Tournament Fighter Shredder

Parts used:
Shredder (1988, Playmates) Body
Mutatin' Shredder (1993, Playmates Legs, head/helmet

NES Tournament Fighters Hothead

(Sorry for the blur)
Parts used:
Hothead (1992, Playmates) Head
Armadon (1995?, Playmates) Body
Mutatin' Rahzar (1993, Playmates) Chestplate
Space Usagi (1991, Playmates), Loincloth

NES Tournament Fighters Casey

Parts used:
Casey Jones (1989, Playmates) Head, weapon
Casey Jones (2003, Playmates) Body
Masking tape Leg bands
My god those are awesome.
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #188
Ninjinister
無問題

So you probably thought that when I made the human Baxter, that was as far as I could go with ol' Stockyman. Well, fortunately for you, I pushed the envelope, because...

They Saved Baxter's Braaaaaaaain!!!!shiftone

This was an idea I've had for a while, even longer than I was thinking of making the human Baxter. I just couldn't figure out how to do it with all of the pieces I had set aside for him. Fortunately I've got Mighty Putty now, so sculpting is easy.

I based Baxter's Brain's jar design primarily after its second incarnation, in which he had the claw and holographic head. I made some minor changes on the design to accommodate my personal opinion of what looked good.

Parts used:
Mutagen Man (1990, Playmates) Brain and eye/eyestalk
Retromutagen Ooze (2003, Playmates) Jar
Baxter Stockman (2004, Playmates) Claw
Foot Gunner (2003, Playmates) Holographic unit
Baxter Robot (2006, Playmates) Head
Fugitoid (2004, Playmates) Miscellaneous Parts
Mighty Putty Brain stem, Miscellaneous Parts
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #189
raven6859
Hench Mutant

OMG that Baxter is so awesome!
raven6859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #190
Ninjinister
無問題

Thanks! That means a lot! I should have another fig up within the next 48 hours.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #191
Ninjinister
無問題

As promised, here's the next one. It's my first Back to the Sewer custom. However, it's nothing you'd expect, like Cyber Shredder or Master Khan. Instead it's....

Demon April

From the episode "The Engagement Ring". Obviously she's not to scale... I don't even know if I could make a figure that large. Like all of my customs, I modified some minute details to look better or place better on the figure. Unfortunately, in this pic, you can't see the blue wash I gave her. I'll try to get something better later today - if I'm not busy playing Turtles in Time Re-Shelled!

And I just realized I forgot to give her a ring... do'h!

Parts used:
Viral (2006, Playmates) Body
Karai (2007, Playmates) Head
Quarry (2006, Playmates) Hair
Danger (Marvel Legends, unknown year) Wings, feet, Miscellaneous Parts
Shredder (2007, Playmates) Miscellaneous Parts
Torbin Zixx (2006, Playmates) Miscellaneous Parts
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #192
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post

They Saved Baxter's Braaaaaaaain!!!!shiftone

Demon April

Wow, all these are pretty great! I love the creepy factor!

Looking forward to some some higher quality pictures.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #193
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

WOW!!!! those look cool. demon April is crazy!!! good job
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #194
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Both are great, Ninjie.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #195
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Baxter's Brain is a great idea and you executed well. I didn't see the episode in question where April became a demon, but the character looks neat.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #196
Ninjinister
無問題

Time for a huge update....

Come blast open the door
He's been waiting for you
Where he will kill her, and him, and her
Three's Ch'rell, Too!

Yyyep. Introducing three separate bodies for the custom Ch'rell that was sculpted by my co-worker chigaakai and painted by myself.

Let's take a look at what we've got here....

First up is the Utrom Homeworld Shredder exosuit. This was only seen once, very briefly, in a flashback in the video game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus. I'm all about making figures based on obscure characters and obscure versions of characters, so here we are. I'm not entirely satisfied with the way he turned out, looking like a random assortment of parts (which of course, he is), but then again, the actual thing was a veritable hodgepodge itself.

Parts used:
Utrom (2004, Playmates) Body
Karai (2005, Playmates) Various parts
Armorized Shredder (2003, Playmates) and Feudal Shredder (2005, Playmates) Claws
Serling (2006, Playmates) Feet
Vampire Succubor (2007, Playmates) Foot fins
Mighty Putty Miscellaneous parts

Next up is Shredder's standard armor. After carving him open, I used darker grays and a black wash on his armor. The end result has him looking much like his Smash-Up counterpart.

Parts used:
Shredder (2003, Playmates)

Finally, there's Oroku Saki. This one, I actually started last year, I believe, but technical difficulties and frustration led to me putting him on the back burner. Once chigaakai finished the Ch'rell, though, I decided to renew my interest in finishing the Saki figure, switching up my game plan to tackle the issues I had had previously.

If there's one thing I don't like about how this turned out, though, it's the sleeves. Lord almighty, the sleeves. I had actually tried out five different things before settling on what I did use, and each one was either terribly impractical, or looked like horsecrap. Nevertheless, they become moot once Saki removes his top (eek!) to expose himself (ew!). Seriously, though, I'm proud of how the rest of him came along.

Oh, Saki, you're not fooling anyone with that false chestplate.

Parts used:
Feudal Shredder (2006, Playmates) Head
Archangel (2005? Toy Biz) Top torso
Ultimate Ninja (2004, Playmates) Bottom Torso
Whit (1993, Playmates) Vest
Sao Feng (2007, NECA) Sleeves
Karai (2005, Playmates) Claw
Unknown figure (Shredder?) Sword of Tengu
Random cloth Hakama
Mighty Putty Miscellaneous parts
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 AM   #197
Sarah
Hench Mutant

Location: In Archon's kitchen playing with his toys while he's tied up on the ground. :D
I cant believe I almost missed your Baxter's Brain and Demon April customs. they turned out great! it would have been neat if you could have casted Baxter's head in a clear plastic to give it a holographic look.

and those new Shredder customs are awesome! Im unfamiliar with the Homeworld Shredder exosuit cause I didn't play the games, but I think it's a interesting design, and I really like your Saki custom, you did a great job on him.

damn Ninj, your customs are getting more creative all the time.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #198
raven6859
Hench Mutant

Awesome! I haven't seen any BTTS yet, but Demon April looks cool. Those Shredder figures are so great! I really like the flashback Ch'rell from the videogame, that was a version of the character I was quite fond of myself! The Shredder and Saki are cool, I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeves. My main complaint is I wish your photos were clearer!
raven6859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #199
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

pretty neat, i think the Saki is a very cool idea, keep up the great work
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #200
Ninjinister
無問題

Time for everyone's favorite lagomorph bodyguard!

Miyamoto Usagi

This isn't 100% finished (still needs some minor touch-ups, which wouldn't even be really visibly different from what you see here), but I am very pleased with how this one turned out.

The only thing that bothers me that although I could find many 2K3 Usagi wakizashi in my collections of accessories and spare weapons, I could not locate a katana from that figure as well, thus, I was forced to take one out of the hand of the Usagi on my display shelf. If anyone has a spare 2K3 Usagi katana or even the complete daisho they wouldn't mind donating or selling to me, I'd like to know!

Parts used:
Usagi Yojimbo (2006, Playmates) Head, daisho, saya
Kenshin Himura (Toycom's Samurai X line, unknown year) Body