The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #221
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Well the new character has been revealed.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #222
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Well the new character has been revealed.
I know it's getting a ton of hate all over the Internet, and I can't deny that some of it is justified, but personally...

Spoiler:
Three Houses was my 2019 GOTY and one of my favorite games period. I am very happy that my boy (or girl) is in, and super excited to play as him with all the different Relics. The Garreg Mach stage is wonderful as well. After Terry and Joker I was hoping for someone I actually knew, and this was a very exciting pick for me.

Plus the full announcement of Fighter's Pass 2 means six more fighters are coming. The hype train goes on and on!
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #223
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As far as I'm concerned they never need to make a new Smash Bros. game. They can just keep adding new characters and content.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #224
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sakurai's obsession with Fire Emblem will never be topped. We're dangerously getting to the point where Fire Emblem might have more reps than Mario and Pokemon, Nintendo's two most popular franchises.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #225
Powder
So tired of this place

I hate the excess of FE characters so very much. God DAMN.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #226
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I went in to the direct thinking, If I don't like the character, that's fair enough I'll be happy for the people who do ( I got my moment with Banjo and Terry) but ANOTHER FE character is something that NOBODY wanted or needed. Really frustrated with this choice. No doubt there will be another in the next 6.

He said something about Breath of the wild Zelda be considered?, I bet she will be one of the last characters in the next pass, which would be around the BOFW 2 release time frame.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #227
CyberCubed
Overlord

History repeats itself, the last DLC character for Smash on Wii-U was Corrin, and people were equally outraged back then.

At least Mario and Pokemon having the most reps is understandable, I fully expect a Sword/Shield pokemon in the second DLC, but Fire Emblem is absurd. Most of it is Sakurai being a huge Fire Emblem fanboy and Nintendo constantly trying to promote it.

Hard to believe the Zelda franchise never gets any new one-shot characters and hasn't had anyone truly new since 2001, when it's the third biggest franchise. And characters like Dixie Kong or even Toad/Captain Toad, etc. haven't been made playable yet despite being Nintendo all-stars.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:42 AM   #228
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
History repeats itself, the last DLC character for Smash on Wii-U was Corrin, and people were equally outraged back then.

At least Mario and Pokemon having the most reps is understandable, I fully expect a Sword/Shield pokemon in the second DLC, but Fire Emblem is absurd. Most of it is Sakurai being a huge Fire Emblem fanboy and Nintendo constantly trying to promote it.

Hard to believe the Zelda franchise never gets any new one-shot characters and hasn't had anyone truly new since 2001, when it's the third biggest franchise. And characters like Dixie Kong or even Toad/Captain Toad, etc. haven't been made playable yet despite being Nintendo all-stars.
I agree, that is why Banjo felt like a win for the fans. This is the worst character to date and adds NOTHING.

Also another FE stage, it does make my blood boil.To rub salt in wound, you got Cuphead as just a Mii fighter skin. lol PapaGenos reaction lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-v...ture=emb_title

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 01-17-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #229
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I do not understand the appeal of Fire Emblem, nor why it gets so many damn reps.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #230
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I do not understand the appeal of Fire Emblem, nor why it gets so many damn reps.
The actual games are pretty fun turned based strategy RPG’s. I haven’t played any of the recent ones but I did on the GBA, Gamecube/Wii and DS era.

Most of it though is anime and waifu pandering. Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile generates tons of cash for Nintendo and it’s because they sexualized all the female characters in swimsuits and alt clothing. More problematic is a lot of the Fire Emblem cast is underage too.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #231
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Fighters pass I only love Banjo, Hero is a good addition, don't mind Terry too much, Don't care for Joker but at least it has fans I guess even if not really related to Nintendo much. But yeah another FE character is BS.

I'll wait to see what they release on figher pass 2 before I buy it but with 6 characters and due date of 2021 we have a long wait , I'm guessing 2 more characters this year and 4 next year.

If Any 2 of the following appear then it's an automatic buy, but others could change my mind that I may not be thinking, now I realize my list can be somewhat unrealistic but why the heck not (Bomberman, Doom Guy, Scorpion, Captain N,Geno, Lara Croft, mach rider) Especially Captain N who is likely 0%, bomberman is a trophy, Doom Guy/Scorpion/lara croft, might not be popular enough/rated M/west characters, Geno too niche despite popularity). But yeah I could see 2 of those happening maybe.

If we only get stuff like rayman/sora/Arms rep/BOTW 2 character/mario character/SwordShield Pokemon then it might be a pass for me. What else could be shocking? Master Chief? that'd be cool but not a halo player, steve? also col but not a minecraft player, Microsoft seems to be cool with it but perhaps that's a line that Nintendo might not cross, Banjo was a different thing. Kratos? That's more like it but less likely.

I dunno, another 2 years of slow smash reveals is cool but also kinda tiring Let's see
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #232
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Atleast we now know that DLC characters will not just be franchises that have never been in Smash before, like some people were thinking because of something that Reggie said.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #233
CyberCubed
Overlord

One of the next characters will likely be a Pokemon from Sword/Shield, but the other 5 will probably be third party. Sakurai always says he leaves one spot open for Pokemon, and apparently Fire Emblem, so I fully expect a Gen 8 pokemon there.

Luckily there's 6 new characters coming this time, so that at least leaves open some variety.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #234
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
One of the next characters will likely be a Pokemon from Sword/Shield, but the other 5 will probably be third party. Sakurai always says he leaves one spot open for Pokemon, and apparently Fire Emblem, so I fully expect a Gen 8 pokemon there.

Luckily there's 6 new characters coming this time, so that at least leaves open some variety.
I would personally not want another Pokemon (I think the current list of pokes is perfect), but in the event that it does happen, I think its gonna be the fully evolved Grass starter from gen 8.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:34 AM   #235
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

If you are going first party, why did he not go with waluigi? He does't add much to the game, but at least people actually want him.

There is loads of third party characters that would be awesome, Bomberman, Master chief, lara Croft, Crash, Heck even Spyro, to name but a few. But Sakurai only puts on want he wants, so my guess is most of these character he adds are gonna be awful.

I still don't understand his logic over adding Byleth. Literally anyone would have added something to the game , but FE.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #236
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
If you are going first party, why did he not go with waluigi? He does't add much to the game, but at least people actually want him.
Sakurai usually doesn't add characters without starring roles in the games. Waluigi has never had his own game. If you look at the characters you have the main characters of each franchise, the secondary characters (like Diddy Kong, Luigi, Falco, Palutena, etc.), and then a villain (Ganondorf, Bowser, K. Rool, Ridley), etc. Until Waluigi gets some type of starring role in a game, he probably will be kept an Assist trophy forever. I think the next Mario character to be added will be some form of Captain Toad/Toadette, with male/female alts. Nintendo is pushing Toadette hard in every mainline Mario game lately, and Captain Toad has his own game. They work perfectly as male/female alts too so they're likely in the next game. I'd sooner expect some form of playable Toad before Waluigi.

Quote:
There is loads of third party characters that would be awesome, Bomberman, Master chief, lara Croft, Crash, Heck even Spyro, to name but a few. But Sakurai only puts on want he wants, so my guess is most of these character he adds are gonna be awful..
A lot of those characters owned by western franchises, there are no western third parties in Smash yet (obviously Banjo is a unique exception). All the third parties in Smash are owned by Japanese companies.

Sakurai caters to Japanese tastes, there's a reason why Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is so heavily speculated, along with a Capcom character like Dante or someone from Resident Evil.....before anyone like Lara Croft, someone from Mortal Kombat, etc who are popular in the west.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #237
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Counting this DLC is until Dec 2021, this means we'll likely start getting hints of the next smash in 2022. Unless there is no planned Switch 2 yet in which case we may keep getting more DLC if the game's still selling.

Still wonder why Mario Kart 8 didn't get more dlc on switch counting how well it sold. So maybe a third pack is out of the question if they want to get another smash ready in 2 years or so after this dlc is finished.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #238
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Counting this DLC is until Dec 2021, this means we'll likely start getting hints of the next smash in 2022. Unless there is no planned Switch 2 yet in which case we may keep getting more DLC if the game's still selling.

Still wonder why Mario Kart 8 didn't get more dlc on switch counting how well it sold. So maybe a third pack is out of the question if they want to get another smash ready in 2 years or so after this dlc is finished.
Smash is probably just going to be constantly updated from this point on, like most online multiplayer games are. I fully expect them to port Smash Ultimate to the next nintendo console and just keep adding new characters/stages. Barring any licensing problems with third parties, it'll also prevent characters from being cut.

I just wonder if Sakurai is ever going to retire or step down from Smash. He seems like the kind of guy who wants to be in charge of Smash forever, but he obviously can't make other games while he does it. And Sakurai says he has full control over the newcomer roster and each Smash iteration, so it feels like he just can't let go.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #239
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Probably because Mario Kart 8 is just a port of the Wii U Mario Kart 8 with everything unlocked.

It's bizarre that Super Mario Party didn't get any DLC.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #240
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sakurai usually doesn't add characters without starring roles in the games. Waluigi has never had his own game. If you look at the characters you have the main characters of each franchise, the secondary characters (like Diddy Kong, Luigi, Falco, Palutena, etc.), and then a villain (Ganondorf, Bowser, K. Rool, Ridley), etc. Until Waluigi gets some type of starring role in a game, he probably will be kept an Assist trophy forever. I think the next Mario character to be added will be some form of Captain Toad/Toadette, with male/female alts. Nintendo is pushing Toadette hard in every mainline Mario game lately, and Captain Toad has his own game. They work perfectly as male/female alts too so they're likely in the next game. I'd sooner expect some form of playable Toad before Waluigi.

A lot of those characters owned by western franchises, there are no western third parties in Smash yet (obviously Banjo is a unique exception). All the third parties in Smash are owned by Japanese companies.

Sakurai caters to Japanese tastes, there's a reason why Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is so heavily speculated, along with a Capcom character like Dante or someone from Resident Evil.....before anyone like Lara Croft, someone from Mortal Kombat, etc who are popular in the west.
Agreed, but after all said and done, Sakurai caters to Sakurai.