The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord

Both Ciro and Brandon Auman flat out posted on their instragrams, or twitters or interviews on various sites the Nick cartoon is written for adults to enjoy, which makes sense, they're writing the show themselves about things that appeal to them. Half the jokes, homages, or references in the Nick cartoon would completely fly over kids heads.

Many of the action scenes in the show are quite violent (not even counting the deaths, but also the regular action scenes), and it's written with many adult jokes that I'm actually surprised got past the censors.

The 2k3 series was also written similarly, you could tell PL and Lloyd Goldfine wrote the cartoon for adults even though the purpose of it was to be aimed at kids. I think you guys are missing the point here, of course the cartoons are aimed at kids as that's what most cartoons are for, but they're written for adults.

Even all those current CN shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, etc. that I don't even watch, I know they're aimed at adults.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #82
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
No, adults are a periphery audience, these cartoons were made with kids in mind and only kids.
I would think kids are not the only ones in mind when creating a show. If parents do not like the show they won't let their kids watch it. So putting a mix of things that appeal to general audiences is wise.

Would you consider IDW TMNT made for teens and adults as a periphery audience?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #83
Aaronardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's the same thing as Batman: TAS, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Young Justice, Teen Titans 2003, etc. Cartoons are made for kids, but they're written for adults.
I wish you were right so badly, because I agree it should be like that for every show. Unfortunately those kinds of shows are very few and far between. At the time Avatar was airing new episodes, it was really the only cartoon worth watching at the time sans reruns. For every Avatar, we get a bunch of Brandy and Mr. Whiskers's, Squirrel Boys, and Fanboy & Chum Chums. You have the people that believe that cartoons aimed at kids can and should be aimed at all, and then you have the rest of the world. After all, there's no use getting worked up over fundamental writing abilities and knowledge of your own characters, it's just a kid's show.

A lot of the Nick show's in-jokes and such are just there to give the adults with a past in TMNT a good first impression, but it doesn't go much deeper than that. There's not a level of storytelling the Nick show has hit in recent memory that's going to turn many adults' heads. A show with a bunch of disposable mutants running around is very targeted towards kids.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #84
Ninjinister
Don't break the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Creatively bankrupt.
Dude you use that phrase so much that the very words are just that.

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #85
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I would think kids are not the only ones in mind when creating a show. If parents do not like the show they won't let their kids watch it. So putting a mix of things that appeal to general audiences is wise.

Would you consider IDW TMNT made for teens and adults as a periphery audience?
There might be a little easter egg here or there that an adult might understand better than a child, but overall the vast majority of the expected audience are children aged 5-10. Not to mention the copious amounts of toy pushing an adult would just see through. Saying they are meant for adults because of a few things or because they're likely to watch it with their kids is just silly. None of this means adults can't enjoy them but make no mistake, they were made with kids in mind.

As for IDW, that's an entirely different story, pretty much the opposite in fact. I seriously doubt a comic series with at least seven decapitations, four disembowelments, neck snaps, spine breakage, people getting burned alive, patricide, child excecutions, torture, murder of the sleeping, mass suffocations and a whole bunch of other things can't really be thought of as being for children, it's simply just far to violent and heavy. Any children reading it are the periphery audience.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #86
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

And adding to the list:
Planetary annihilation, genocide, threatening genocide and planetary annihilation, mass suffocations, blindings, mutilation, psychological manipulation. You could keep building the list for a while.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #87
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There might be a little easter egg here or there that an adult might understand better than a child, but overall the vast majority of the expected audience are children aged 5-10. Not to mention the copious amounts of toy pushing an adult would just see through. Saying they are meant for adults because of a few things or because they're likely to watch it with their kids is just silly. None of this means adults can't enjoy them but make no mistake, they were made with kids in mind.

As for IDW, that's an entirely different story, pretty much the opposite in fact. I seriously doubt a comic series with at least seven decapitations, four disembowelments, neck snaps, spine breakage, people getting burned alive, patricide, child excecutions, torture, murder of the sleeping, mass suffocations and a whole bunch of other things can't really be thought of as being for children, it's simply just far to violent and heavy. Any children reading it are the periphery audience.
Some comics (like the TMNT/Batman) do recommend you be at least a teen to read them with the 'T' for teen rating. So they are admitting a younger teenage type audience could read them. Comics are thought of as for kids/teens traditionally just as cartoons. But view points are changing. Neither are thought of as "just" for kids anymore.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #88
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Some comics (like the TMNT/Batman) do recommend you be at least a teen to read them with the 'T' for teen rating. So they are admitting a younger teenage type audience could read them.
Yeah like 13 or 14, not exactly the same thing as 6 year olds.

Quote:
Comics are thought of as for kids/teens traditionally just as cartoons. But view points are changing. Neither are thought of as "just" for kids anymore.
Public perception isn't really the issue here, we're talking about target audience.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #89
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah like 13 or 14, not exactly the same thing as 6 year olds.

Public perception isn't really the issue here, we're talking about target audience.
Yes and it seems there are variety of perceptions surrounding who exactly the target audience is. I'm only saying general viewership audience imo, not to heavily targeting children or adults but with a mix of things that's appeal to all. When I think of a show targeted toward only kids I think of something like Blue's Clues.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #90
swing_kinker
Thug

Quote:
Both Ciro and Brandon Auman flat out posted on their instragrams, or twitters or interviews on various sites the Nick cartoon is written for adults to enjoy, which makes sense, they're writing the show themselves about things that appeal to them. Half the jokes, homages, or references in the Nick cartoon would completely fly over kids heads.

Many of the action scenes in the show are quite violent (not even counting the deaths, but also the regular action scenes), and it's written with many adult jokes that I'm actually surprised got past the censors.

The 2k3 series was also written similarly, you could tell PL and Lloyd Goldfine wrote the cartoon for adults even though the purpose of it was to be aimed at kids. I think you guys are missing the point here, of course the cartoons are aimed at kids as that's what most cartoons are for, but they're written for adults.

Even all those current CN shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, etc. that I don't even watch, I know they're aimed at adults.
Great post. As a horror fan, the amount of homages to violent horror movies is amazing. Especially in the first couple of series.they grew up with the franchise so they are like many of us in terms of their references and fandom whereas the original just had writers who were writing another random cartoon. For all the complaints that the 80s cartoon destroyed everything (despite that no doubt being the reason they love the franchise) let's be honest as much as I love a lot of the Mirage stuff it's hardly high quality writing and it's not as violent as people like to make out. A lot of hyperbole goes on, usually from people who I suspect have just discovered the Mirage stuff and are acting all edgy.
swing_kinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #91
pferreira
Stone Warrior

Oh dear God not another FW series ruined everything thread. How many of these have we had by so called fans?

Quote:
Is this Andrew's alternate account?
I think he's had one too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Tbh FW/Nick origin is more acceptable than the comic origin (human ninja master turned rat, rather than being trained by a pet rat who mimicked its master).

So no, you don't get to diss FW you sad man.
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Vegita-San, you have it all wrong! It's not Platinum Dunes that does not exist its the 1997-1999 TMNT material that has been wiped from memory it was so awful on both ends of the spectrum as the comic medium demonstrated in one extreme and television showed the other extreme.
Mandela Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Your obviously wrong on that. I started off on Fred Wolf and I like all versions (except for Next Mutation and PD Movies)
Then you're not a true fan dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swing_kinker View Post
For all the complaints that the 80s cartoon destroyed everything (despite that no doubt being the reason they love the franchise) let's be honest as much as I love a lot of the Mirage stuff it's hardly high quality writing and it's not as violent as people like to make out. A lot of hyperbole goes on, usually from people who I suspect have just discovered the Mirage stuff and are acting all edgy.
Normally purists who can't bare going back to watch something they watched as children because it's not dark or edgy enough. It takes a brave person to go back to their childhood and enjoy it. It's easy to write off your childhood and say "I was a kid I didn't know any better" but that's simply a rubbish excuse for trying to see the good in what you watched or did. That excuse doesn't work when you realise the whole franchise is mostly aimed at kids anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Same reason I despise Fred Wolf TMNT but that's the show I watch with my son. Kid friendly. They're the audience, grown-ass men are not.
It's a mute point. Look at Lego fans, they're not all children even though that's the target market. You have to be an adult Lego fan who still plays with Lego to be considered for a job at the company. Lego starts off with children, the fans don't demand dark and more edgy Lego as they get older do they? They embrace what they played with as a child and make a career out of it. Same goes with the FW series. You don't grow out of that. It's about learning to accept and appreciate stuff from your childhood. Being snobbish towards a late 80s cartoon is like having a go at the fans of Lego or people who work at Disney. Saying to yourself "I'm so much better than that" fails almost immediately as when you realise TMNT as a property is mostly aimed at kids anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
How come those of us who started off on Fred Wolf can find things likeable in all other versions.. Mirage, 4kids, next mutation, movies, nick toon (PD doesn't exist)....

but those who started off with mirage refuse to acknowledge anything else?
I grew up with the FW series and I've learned to appreciate most TMNT and why not? Different ideas but why act snobbish towards something you were exposed to as a child? It's just snobbish fans who feel their tastes have got older which just sounds ridiculous to me. The same as users here making out the FW series is for six year olds when I was just over the age of six when I started watching.

Quote:
All 3 TMNT cartoons are made for adults to enjoy. I don't know about the upcoming 2018 one yet, but hopefully it will be too.
Of course all three cartoons will date over time as will the people who watch them and if they try to watch that stuff in the future they may get new insight into what they watched as a kid. Maybe gain something from it?

Quote:
This thread needs to be locked. At least half the people posting in this thread have no idea what on earth they're talking about.
I agree. The original post was just created to cause trouble and bring out all the FW haters so they can say rubbish about the FW series being just for kids. Compared to what?! IDW?!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #92
newfan
Mouser

Quote:

I know that my knowledge of TMNT is little compared with most on here but I had wondered if the current show also had adults in mind for the same reasons mentioned above. The references/jokes/violence. Obviously a kids show yes, but I feel they at least included adults, maybe to respect/keep
original fans?
newfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #93
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Normally purists who can't bare going back to watch something they watched as children because it's not dark or edgy enough. It takes a brave person to go back to their childhood and enjoy it. It's easy to write off your childhood and say "I was a kid I didn't know any better" but that's simply a rubbish excuse for trying to see the good in what you watched or did. That excuse doesn't work when you realise the whole franchise is mostly aimed at kids anyway.

It's a mute point. Look at Lego fans, they're not all children even though that's the target market. You have to be an adult Lego fan who still plays with Lego to be considered for a job at the company. Lego starts off with children, the fans don't demand dark and more edgy Lego as they get older do they? They embrace what they played with as a child and make a career out of it. Same goes with the FW series. You don't grow out of that. It's about learning to accept and appreciate stuff from your childhood. Being snobbish towards a late 80s cartoon is like having a go at the fans of Lego or people who work at Disney. Saying to yourself "I'm so much better than that" fails almost immediately as when you realise TMNT as a property is mostly aimed at kids anyway.

I grew up with the FW series and I've learned to appreciate most TMNT and why not? Different ideas but why act snobbish towards something you were exposed to as a child? It's just snobbish fans who feel their tastes have got older which just sounds ridiculous to me. The same as users here making out the FW series is for six year olds when I was just over the age of six when I started watching.

Of course all three cartoons will date over time as will the people who watch them and if they try to watch that stuff in the future they may get new insight into what they watched as a kid. Maybe gain something from it?

I agree. The original post was just created to cause trouble and bring out all the FW haters so they can say rubbish about the FW series being just for kids. Compared to what?! IDW?!
The big question you have to take into account is whether or not the cartoon/incarnation aged well? Because something that you can enjoy as a kid may not necessarily be something you enjoy when you grow up.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote