The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,362
Photobucket wants money or else

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/ph...hosted-images/

Dear Photobucket, we have had some great times over the years, but due to this latest development, our relationship must come to a close. I tolerated your increasing greed and progressively unkept appearance, but today's decision means you are no longer the website I came to love all those years ago. I wish you all the best, but I fear you are on a path to self-destruction.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,363
Yup definitely a gear grinder. I am also done with them. Was able to save 70 out of 700 photos. The remaining 630 are being held hostage unless I pay. I guess I'm venturing into Facebook and/or Instagram land now. How about yourself?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yup definitely a gear grinder. I am also done with them. Was able to save 70 out of 700 photos. The remaining 630 are being held hostage unless I pay. I guess I'm venturing into Facebook and/or Instagram land now. How about yourself?
I really like Flickr and Deviantart and have used them for years but for a much different purpose of showcasing certain images I draw or scan rather than just having a repository ready for convenient linking. I primarily used Photobucket for all images of that nature on these forums, and it's too bad that a number of great old Drome threads are now mostly worthless because of Photobucket's business strategy.

I don't use a smart phone, so I probably can't make any use of instagram but maybe imgur or something like that can suit my needs.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I really like Flickr and Deviantart and have used them for years but for a much different purpose of showcasing certain images I draw or scan rather than just having a repository ready for convenient linking. I primarily used Photobucket for all images of that nature on these forums, and it's too bad that a number of great old Drome threads are now mostly worthless because of Photobucket's business strategy.

I don't use a smart phone, so I probably can't make any use of instagram but maybe imgur or something like that can suit my needs.
Yes very unfortunate about the past threads. Imgur might be something I check out as well. Not to sound overly dramatic but losing the past threads is kind of like having a library burn to the ground. It's great to have TMNT fandom throughout the years archived and preserved in some way.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,524
I have fifty-six pages to go through if I want to save the images that have now been doomed to being hidden, and even still, I have to remember which image is which on the most ancient of my art threads, if I can even remember where they've all been posted.

How much of Photobucket's image sharing is even used for third party? The vast majority of it? They're seriously shooting themselves in the foot here. No one is going to shell out $400 a year to keep their images up.

Between this, Verizon's new ownership of Tumblr that will lock out emails registered under competing companies, and the sh*tstorm with the FCC on Net Neutrality (which is, guess what, run by a former Verizon CEO), I'm seriously upset at what's going on with internet services this year.
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 24,951
Great...Might have to check my photobuckets...yes I have 2...and see what's what.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Great...Might have to check my photobuckets...yes I have 2...and see what's what.
Haha, I used two as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yes very unfortunate about the past threads. Imgur might be something I check out as well. Not to sound overly dramatic but losing the past threads is kind of like having a library burn to the ground. It's great to have TMNT fandom throughout the years archived and preserved in some way.
I think there is some truth to that. In fact, Photobucket even called accounts "Library." Folks today think digital resources are permanent, but everything is dependent on the good graces of websites and repositories to maintain the services they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I have fifty-six pages to go through if I want to save the images that have now been doomed to being hidden, and even still, I have to remember which image is which on the most ancient of my art threads, if I can even remember where they've all been posted.
I think I'm just count most of my links as a deductible loss.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,805
I have a photobucket account from like 2005 I haven't checked in a decade, lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Aaronardo
Stone Warrior
 
Aaronardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saying goodbye.
Posts: 948
If their hope is to gain some extra pennies out of this, it's safe to say this'll fall right on their face.
__________________
"Oh Turtles! Oh Turtles! Chew your gum properly."
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello (Heart of Evil)
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
The Deadman
Mad Scientist
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,905
$400 bucks a year just to embed pictures from their website onto other sites? Are they out of their everloving minds? Who in the hell is going to pay this?
__________________

Last Movie Watched: The Secret Life of Pets (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 10,990
Dumb. Can just pay $10 a month for an unlimited space server and upload and share all the pictures you want, anywhere.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,366
Good thing we have other sites like Imgur.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,848
I switched to imgur a long, long time ago. I even paid for a premium membership with them, but then they went full-on free.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
$400 bucks a year just to embed pictures from their website onto other sites? Are they out of their everloving minds? Who in the hell is going to pay this?
Heh, I thought that was a typo and they meant $39.99 a year instead of $399 a year, and even then I thought $40 a year would be too much.

Let alone $400.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,331
Does this affect everyone? The chart in this post of mine from a few days ago is an image hosted on my photobucket account but isn't affected. Or am I not seeing it?
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,524
It takes some time for some of them to set in. Yesterday, my signature was showing, but today it isn't. And it isn't showing anything on my art threads.
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I switched to imgur a long, long time ago. I even paid for a premium membership with them, but then they went full-on free.
From paid-free sounds a lot better than free-paid. Did you get any type of refund and are you satisfied with imgur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Does this affect everyone? The chart in this post of mine from a few days ago is an image hosted on my photobucket account but isn't affected. Or am I not seeing it?
From what I have been observing, more and more people slowly started losing photos one by one and then in chunks. It wasn't an all or nothing all at once type of thing.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,524
So the big question is, will an uproar either shut them down or force them to go back to the previous system? A shutdown would end up being worse because then everything will be gone.
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yup definitely a gear grinder. I am also done with them. Was able to save 70 out of 700 photos. The remaining 630 are being held hostage unless I pay. I guess I'm venturing into Facebook and/or Instagram land now. How about yourself?
Are they seriously not letting people access their own stuff??

Tried to check, but still trying to remember my login...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 2,524
I'm just downloading my whole album...
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.