The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #1461
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
While these were cool figures Im glad I passed on them. The new neca stuff is just way better.

Now with shredder probably not coming out I am really glad I skipped this line.
I have both, these are MUCH better than NECAs.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #1462
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

These are based on promotional art the NECA ones are screen accurate which i would like more. But you dont actually have the NECA ones so how can you say they are better? Both offer their own things
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 AM   #1463
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
These are based on promotional art the NECA ones are screen accurate which i would like more. But you dont actually have the NECA ones so how can you say they are better? Both offer their own things
Are you replying to BlueTurtle, cause he clearly wrote the had both. The NECA ones are the exact same figures as the Arcade set just with a new paint job.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #1464
LilithMV
Thug

NECA's are nice but not as toon acurate as the S.H Figuarts. Not to mention articulation is better as well.They fit better with the Krang, Shredder and foot soldiers from NECA.
LilithMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 AM   #1465
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The SH Figuarts aren't toon accurate, though. They're based off the Retro Art Stock with trim around the plastron and border on the belt buckle and stockart skin tones. The only "toon accurate" is that Tamashii changed the tellow on the weapons, belt buckle and carapace color to something more Toon adjacent. That's about it.

Stock Art:

SH Figuarts 1st Color Test:

Final SH Figuarts:

On-Screen Toon:

NECA Toon:

SH Figuarts is better overall as action figures with more accessories and posebility, but they ain't all that Toon accurate, which I personally don't really care all that much about so I prefer the SHF Turtles.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #1466
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I have both, these are MUCH better than NECAs.
How could you possibly have both? NECA hasn't even shipped these out yet. And they aren't expected to arrive until next week around the time that SDCC starts.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #1467
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I am wondering the same thing.

Did the SH Figuarts ones really come with more accessories than the NECA ones?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #1468
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The SHF wins out in the accessory department by the extra hands and heads alone.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #1469
LilithMV
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The SH Figuarts aren't toon accurate, though. They're based off the Retro Art Stock with trim around the plastron and border on the belt buckle and stockart skin tones. The only "toon accurate" is that Tamashii changed the tellow on the weapons, belt buckle and carapace color to something more Toon adjacent. That's about it.

Stock Art:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3468/3...4ea91ee2_z.jpg

http://pop-critica.com/wp-content/up...splay-feat.png

Final SH Figuarts:
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/up...26-928x483.jpg

On-Screen Toon:
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...20061124053900

NECA Toon:
https://i0.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...size=740%2C323

SH Figuarts is better overall as action figures with more accessories and posebility, but they ain't all that Toon accurate, which I personally don't really care all that much about so I prefer the SHF Turtles.
Yes I should have added that they resemble the art used for a lot of TMNT stuff around the time the original cartoon also aired. Which I personally love. The NECA ones are closer in color but still have the arcade turtles look. I have the arcade ones and I prefer the S.H Figuarts.
LilithMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #1470
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
How could you possibly have both? NECA hasn't even shipped these out yet. And they aren't expected to arrive until next week around the time that SDCC starts.
I was talking about the arcade set, which, paint work aside are the same as the new SDCC 17 set.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #1471
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I was talking about the arcade set, which, paint work aside are the same as the new SDCC 17 set.
Ah okay I understand now. Well if its all the same I think I am going to reserve judgement until my set arrives next week. I want to see how these figures look with the new paint jobs in person...with the highlights/shading and everything else in between. I mean yeah as far as the sculpts are concerned and the range of articulation, I don't think the NECA set even comes close to surpassing the Figuarts turtles. But that doesn't mean that the NECA sculpts are inaccurate. And who knows, with a little bit of new tooling these new NECA figures may blow the Arcade versions out of the water.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #1472
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Ah okay I understand now. Well if its all the same I think I am going to reserve judgement until my set arrives next week. I want to see how these figures look with the new paint jobs in person...with the highlights/shading and everything else in between. I mean yeah as far as the sculpts are concerned and the range of articulation, I don't think the NECA set even comes close to surpassing the Figuarts turtles. But that doesn't mean that the NECA sculpts are inaccurate. And who knows, with a little bit of new tooling these new NECA figures may blow the Arcade versions out of the water.
There is no new tooling on the "new" neca turtles they're just repaints.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #1473
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithMV View Post
NECA's are nice but not as toon acurate as the S.H Figuarts. Not to mention articulation is better as well.They fit better with the Krang, Shredder and foot soldiers from NECA.
The NECA figures are more screen accurate.

The S.H. Figuarts turtles were sculpted from a vintage style guide. You can see the style guide turtles in the upper left hand corner. Also note the details such as the "frame" around the plastron/"front shell" which is present on the style guide turtles, but was never featured on the turtles in the actual show. Further proof that the Figuarts turtles were based on the style guide can be seen on their original paint apps (even brighter green, black initial belt buckles with yellow trim and letter) until fan protest caused them to change the paint job to closer resemble the show. The "font" on the S.H. Figuarts belt buckle is also wrong.

The NECA turtles are right next to the model sheets used for the original cartoon. Note how they're... Well, spot on. No frame around the plastron, no frame around the belt buckle, proper font used on the initials.

The figuarts may be of higher quality overall, but NECA is the first company to produce completely screen accurate sculpts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19620938_10155552687811742_8746884137392732464_o.jpg (97.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #1474
VictoryIsMine
Mouser

Has anyone else considered customizing their Figuarts turtles? I think creating accurate plastrons and buckles could help make them more toon accurate. Maybe painting Don's bo staff wrap (if you were willing to drill the holes in his hand a bit larger to prevent paint rub) and repainting their eyes to have round pupils/irises also... And some more head sculpts would be awesome
VictoryIsMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #1475
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They're certainly not better in the articulation or overall material quality department... & there's no reason to say Shredder's not coming out just yet.
100000% this. Where is all this "the line is dead" stuff coming from?

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #1476
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
There is no new tooling on the "new" neca turtles they're just repaints.
They may have no new tooling as far as new parts are concerned, but as is the case with all new toys, depending on the composite materials that they are constructed with, and also the joint systems were constructed this time around, the joints on these figures may end up with a better range of movement as a result. So for instance the arcade Leonardo was only able to kick is legs out to the side at a mere 30 degree angle, but maybe the new NECA toon Leo can kick out his legs at a more impressive 60 degree angle. All of this can be achieved just with minor adjustments within the bodies of these figures.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #1477
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
100000% this. Where is all this "the line is dead" stuff coming from?
It just seems that way, it's been over a year since Shredder was revealed and we still have zero info on a release date, with the year more than halfway over it's hard to feel confident . While that may not be the case, the absolute silence on the future release front is disconcerting.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #1478
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

Stock Art:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3468/3...4ea91ee2_z.jpg

http://pop-critica.com/wp-content/up...splay-feat.png

Final SH Figuarts:
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/up...26-928x483.jpg

On-Screen Toon:
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...20061124053900

NECA Toon:
https://i0.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...size=740%2C323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
The NECA figures are more screen accurate.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/att...1&d=1499799737

The S.H. Figuarts turtles were sculpted from a vintage style guide. You can see the style guide turtles in the upper left hand corner. Also note the details such as the "frame" around the plastron/"front shell" which is present on the style guide turtles, but was never featured on the turtles in the actual show. Further proof that the Figuarts turtles were based on the style guide can be seen on their original paint apps (even brighter green, black initial belt buckles with yellow trim and letter) until fan protest caused them to change the paint job to closer resemble the show. The "font" on the S.H. Figuarts belt buckle is also wrong.

The NECA turtles are right next to the model sheets used for the original cartoon. Note how they're... Well, spot on. No frame around the plastron, no frame around the belt buckle, proper font used on the initials.

The figuarts may be of higher quality overall, but NECA is the first company to produce completely screen accurate sculpts.
Thank you both for demonstrating the comparisons! I had forgotten the Figuarts set originally had a different color scheme. They feel quite sturdy in hand, although I did break off the bandana peg in one of Donatello's heads as soon as I pulled him out of the package!

I know the Mirage Shredder NECA set last year had its reports of fragility and mine came with very stiff joints that even made me think they weren't supposed to bend in certain ways. I'll be curious to see if the NECA Fred Wolf set feels any better.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #1479
thefont9
Random Punk

I was under the impression that both sets could be great and worth owning for their own reasons.
thefont9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #1480
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

I agree with this statement. I have the Figuarts ones and the NECA ones coming and they both are worth the money to spend on
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote