The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Vegita-San
Emperor

derangment syndrome

seems more like a title andrew would come up with, but it fits the situation.
wasn't sure where else to put this..

have you come across this in your social media lately?

most of the times, it's associated with SJW natured topics. but not all the times. and it effects the most random people. folks who don't show any signs of going off the walls, suddenly just go social media crazy and rant about the most insane things.

two instances happened recently that I Still can't get over. since both where nice guys at one point.

- local producer I know. we tell each other how we truly feel about things related to the job, and joke about things. one day, I made a joke, and he got derangment syndrome and went totally off the wall. of course, I later found out two things. 1- he had spend the night deleting lots of facebook hatemail off the stations page due to a unpopular decision recently announced. and 2- he recently tried to leave the job and couldn't, because a suitable replacement couldn't be found..so he might have been feeling stress. but, the reaction to something innocent was totally unexpected, and hurt our otherwise friendly relationship...cause i just don't know which version of him i'll get... the one I liked, or the newer, stressed out version.

- another message board. I got tired of the mods editing out conversation on the she-ra netflix thread. someone would post something that constantly broke the rules, 15 posts of calm conversation followed, and those posts would get deleted, and the offending post still left up. I felt like this was going toward a SJW narrative, and I Said as much when I reported the post. one of the mods PMed me back, and said I was basically a homophobic ass. and that i better be careful not to go full right, because i could be banned.

All because I complained about posts that where calling this she-ra show the next gay icon and talking about all kinds of goofy stuff not related to the show, just to get click bait talks. funny thing is, some gay forum members agreed with me, but vanished quickly. just like some of the woman posters who are fans of the show, but no longer feel welcome there talking about it, just like i wasn't. guess they must fall into my boat too :/...

this guy had shown no signs of going into derangement syndrome before this, and it still catches me completely off guard when it happens.

have you ever had this happened to you? is it mostly online, or in real life as well?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" is absolutely a thing. Take a cursory peek at just about any social media feed lately. Talk about circle jerks of hatred and just putrid rage. There's no way it's healthy.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, Trump Cult Syndrome isn't healthy either.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep. they are both crazy. but now it seems to be going into things beyond politics as well...and it's just getting scary out there in social media world.

I used to think SM was a good thing. now, not so much.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, Trump Cult Syndrome isn't healthy either.
That's not a thing, and not remotely 1:1. TDS is a thing.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Fake news." It doesn't need an official name and a paper of utter hogwash written by a confirmation bias-driven quack psychologist in order for it to be an obvious and problematic behavior among quite a few Americans. The writer sounds like a deeply afflicted madman.

Honestly, I guess it's also a "derangement syndrome" that conservatives have against liberals too. A fearful response to "explain" liberals because conservatives, according to actual studies, are typically anxious and fearful people. Kind of explains the obsession over how liberals are supposedly "ruining the world."

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-26-2019 at 05:37 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Unrelated, but why don't you start the first word of each sentence with a capital letter?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Vegita-San
Emperor

Because I type so fast, if I don't notice it, I don't go back and fix it?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

What I've noticed the last couple years is, most people who support Trump or don't care either way have no problem going about their lives completely removed from politics in general.

People who hate Trump have seemingly made him the focal point of their very existence. He and his criminal gang of ne'er-do-wells are ALL they can seemingly talk or think about. All roads lead back to him in some way.

I'm actually surprised quite often when I discover someone is a Trump supporter because most of them are very casual about it, and they're usually not the ones to inject politics into the conversation, either. Whereas, if you hate Trump, everyone you know already knows, because it's all you've talked about for years.

Keep in mind, this pertains to Real Life and interactions with Real People, not social media Keyboard Crusaders. I'm also not factoring in those bizarre videos where someone goes on a racist rant and THEN outs themselves as a Trump supporter, because those people are clearly 1. Mentally ill, and 2. Taking the fastest route to free attention. Most of them probably didn't even vote, but they know that invoking He Who Shall Not Be Named in the middle of a racist meltdown that's already being recorded is a safe way to get your name in the headlines. But those aren't the people out walking around in real life. Most Trump fans I know in real life are chill as f*ck, and hardly the "racist Bible thumpers" they're supposed to be. Generally, they're just morally opposed to abortion and not a fan of high taxes. I've sincerely never spoken to a "stereotypical" Trump supporter. And I openly disagree with them about certain things when they come up, but it's never made them get mad at me. We just shrug it off and move on; nobody's mind was changed but we don't need to fight about it.

I definitely hear a lot of stuff from the other side that concerns me, though. "I hope someone kills that motherf*cker" is to be expected at least once per day. "Anyone who would vote for him should be strung up and set on fire" is another good one. I can't hang out with people who get that bent about political theater. Once you're openly (and loudly) calling for violence against the President, because "he's a Big Meanie", I feel like even if you're Right on Principle, you're wrong on Points.

True story: About a year ago, my wife's father had an alcoholic meltdown after months on end of the following daily routine: Drink cheap beer, sit on the couch watching hours of Rachel Maddow, and spend hours until dawn shouting at the TV. It slowly evolved from, "He's a liar!" to, "Lock him up!", to "Kill the motherf*cker! Sh*t, I'LL do it for free!" Eventually, the cops started getting called to the house about once a week; the second-to-last time, one of them pointed at the TV - still on MSNBC - and sternly advised, "Rich, THIS SH*T is your f*cking problem, okay? Next time, you're coming with us, and nobody wants that, so take my advice and watch something else."

Less than a week later, he goes from yelling at the TV to waving a knife around threatening me and my wife. Another 911 call. Cops bust in with guns drawn, find him STILL screaming about Trump, and he spent a week in jail. He was almost charged with Terroristic Threats, but "luckily" for him he was able to blame it all on the alcohol and got a deal. He's been better, but not by much.

These are the people I encounter. On the other hand, y'know what I and other people who lean a bit more conservative do when, say, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gets caught in another lie, or makes another ridiculous and provably-false statement, which happens EVERY day? We laugh, call her a bug-eyed dumbass, and go on with our lives. She's not worth the heartburn, none of them are. But the perpetual state of victimhood that Trump haters have resigned themselves to, and the fanatical lengths to which they're willing to go in order to make their hatred perfectly clear - as if it wasn't already - is disturbing. I would say "deranged" is accurate. It's obsession. Nothing's that bad. Everything is Mostly Fine.

I don't think conservatives are more fearful of anything at all; most of them simply aren't going around acting like lunatics in public, and the ones who do are literally crazy people. Not "Trump Supporters" or "Conservatives"; they may be that, but not as MUCH as they are simply crazy. It's the people on the left who constantly swear they have no choice but to flee to another country to escape imaginary "oppression". And then they don't, because nobody in any other country would want to listen to the whining either.

Ranting that the President should be killed because a caravan of illegal immigrants isn't going to be given the free ride they asked for isn't normal. It's not how the "Good Guys" are supposed to act. And it's everywhere, and it's Real Life, not the internet. I do not and will never vote, but if I had to pick a side with a gun to my head, I'd take my chances laughing with the "sinners" on the Right, rather than perpetually crying with the self-appointed "saints" on the Left.

Again, possibility different where other people live. I'm in NJ with the rest of the winners and good-looking people, so I can only call what I see and deal with every day. "Trump Derangement Syndrome", I can testify to. And it's for basically nothing. Manufactured moral outrage. People who didn't get their way, banging on about how unfair it is. That, to me, illustrates "fear". Fear that they will never get ahead in life, or be truly happy, but don't want to accept that maybe they personally could have done some things differently along the way. It has to be that someone simply stacked the deck against them from the start, for being brown or gay or a woman or whatever. Laying blame while projecting and deflecting, as many people are presently guilty of, is "fear". Making factually correct statements that some people think are "mean" isn't fear. There's nothing to be afraid of when the facts support your position on the things that most people are so sensitive about right now.

I'unno. People need to f*cking relax, I'll tell you that for nothin'.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

When I bring up politics, 9 out of 10 times it's... well, you know why I do it.

It's just pretty shocking to see formerly calm, collected and intelligent people, over the course of an election, decide to make it their crusade to just bring hate and anger about Trump everyday. Like at least once a day, all over the place.

Which isn't to say there isn't similar whackjobs on the right... it just isn't everywhere like it is with the people I'm talking about.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

I like how you are occasionally, essentially, a Cliff's Notes version of me.

But yeah, agreed.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
- local producer I know...

..cause i just don't know which version of him i'll get... the one I liked, or the newer, stressed out version.
Just curious if you actually work with or in the same field as this person, or are you just a fan who talks to him a lot while he's trying to work?
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

That's a fair point. Variables are often the key to solving the equation.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #14
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What I've noticed the last couple years is, most people who support Trump or don't care either way have no problem going about their lives completely removed from politics in general.

People who hate Trump have seemingly made him the focal point of their very existence. He and his criminal gang of ne'er-do-wells are ALL they can seemingly talk or think about. All roads lead back to him in some way.

I'm actually surprised quite often when I discover someone is a Trump supporter because most of them are very casual about it, and they're usually not the ones to inject politics into the conversation, either. Whereas, if you hate Trump, everyone you know already knows, because it's all you've talked about for years.

Keep in mind, this pertains to Real Life and interactions with Real People, not social media Keyboard Crusaders. I'm also not factoring in those bizarre videos where someone goes on a racist rant and THEN outs themselves as a Trump supporter, because those people are clearly 1. Mentally ill, and 2. Taking the fastest route to free attention. Most of them probably didn't even vote, but they know that invoking He Who Shall Not Be Named in the middle of a racist meltdown that's already being recorded is a safe way to get your name in the headlines. But those aren't the people out walking around in real life. Most Trump fans I know in real life are chill as f*ck, and hardly the "racist Bible thumpers" they're supposed to be. Generally, they're just morally opposed to abortion and not a fan of high taxes. I've sincerely never spoken to a "stereotypical" Trump supporter. And I openly disagree with them about certain things when they come up, but it's never made them get mad at me. We just shrug it off and move on; nobody's mind was changed but we don't need to fight about it.

I definitely hear a lot of stuff from the other side that concerns me, though. "I hope someone kills that motherf*cker" is to be expected at least once per day. "Anyone who would vote for him should be strung up and set on fire" is another good one. I can't hang out with people who get that bent about political theater. Once you're openly (and loudly) calling for violence against the President, because "he's a Big Meanie", I feel like even if you're Right on Principle, you're wrong on Points.

True story: About a year ago, my wife's father had an alcoholic meltdown after months on end of the following daily routine: Drink cheap beer, sit on the couch watching hours of Rachel Maddow, and spend hours until dawn shouting at the TV. It slowly evolved from, "He's a liar!" to, "Lock him up!", to "Kill the motherf*cker! Sh*t, I'LL do it for free!" Eventually, the cops started getting called to the house about once a week; the second-to-last time, one of them pointed at the TV - still on MSNBC - and sternly advised, "Rich, THIS SH*T is your f*cking problem, okay? Next time, you're coming with us, and nobody wants that, so take my advice and watch something else."

Less than a week later, he goes from yelling at the TV to waving a knife around threatening me and my wife. Another 911 call. Cops bust in with guns drawn, find him STILL screaming about Trump, and he spent a week in jail. He was almost charged with Terroristic Threats, but "luckily" for him he was able to blame it all on the alcohol and got a deal. He's been better, but not by much.

These are the people I encounter. On the other hand, y'know what I and other people who lean a bit more conservative do when, say, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gets caught in another lie, or makes another ridiculous and provably-false statement, which happens EVERY day? We laugh, call her a bug-eyed dumbass, and go on with our lives. She's not worth the heartburn, none of them are. But the perpetual state of victimhood that Trump haters have resigned themselves to, and the fanatical lengths to which they're willing to go in order to make their hatred perfectly clear - as if it wasn't already - is disturbing. I would say "deranged" is accurate. It's obsession. Nothing's that bad. Everything is Mostly Fine.

I don't think conservatives are more fearful of anything at all; most of them simply aren't going around acting like lunatics in public, and the ones who do are literally crazy people. Not "Trump Supporters" or "Conservatives"; they may be that, but not as MUCH as they are simply crazy. It's the people on the left who constantly swear they have no choice but to flee to another country to escape imaginary "oppression". And then they don't, because nobody in any other country would want to listen to the whining either.

Ranting that the President should be killed because a caravan of illegal immigrants isn't going to be given the free ride they asked for isn't normal. It's not how the "Good Guys" are supposed to act. And it's everywhere, and it's Real Life, not the internet. I do not and will never vote, but if I had to pick a side with a gun to my head, I'd take my chances laughing with the "sinners" on the Right, rather than perpetually crying with the self-appointed "saints" on the Left.

Again, possibility different where other people live. I'm in NJ with the rest of the winners and good-looking people, so I can only call what I see and deal with every day. "Trump Derangement Syndrome", I can testify to. And it's for basically nothing. Manufactured moral outrage. People who didn't get their way, banging on about how unfair it is. That, to me, illustrates "fear". Fear that they will never get ahead in life, or be truly happy, but don't want to accept that maybe they personally could have done some things differently along the way. It has to be that someone simply stacked the deck against them from the start, for being brown or gay or a woman or whatever. Laying blame while projecting and deflecting, as many people are presently guilty of, is "fear". Making factually correct statements that some people think are "mean" isn't fear. There's nothing to be afraid of when the facts support your position on the things that most people are so sensitive about right now.

I'unno. People need to f*cking relax, I'll tell you that for nothin'.
Funny you should mention this, because I've found the same to be true with Trump supporters and GOPers.

I've seen them lose their minds over things. I've had family members talk about how they're ready to shoot Libs, how that "n" word President thinks he's so great, and how Hillary belongs in jail.

And they're the one's who bring it up. In our house, we have a pretty strict "no politics" policy in our house because a couple of our family members might go postal if someone mentions a politician they aren't really happy with at the moment.

And we're in the same area. . . so. . . I dunno. Maybe we're running with different groups? A lot of my family and neighbors are DIE HARD conservatives. And they're wonderful people unless they see Obama or Hillary. Then they just become different people.

That isn't to say my liberal friends aren't just as quick to rile up. I'm just surprised you're finding a lot of calm Trump supporters.

In short, there's two modes for Trump supporters:
1. Gloat
2. Rage

For liberals, there's two modes:
1. Rage
2. Bernie would've won

Though I do find liberals are more likely to talk about policy they don't like than the conservatives are.

__________________________________________________ _____

Also, I'd like to contest the "derangement" syndrome term. I don't think anyone here has a serious mental affliction due to the political theater. I think a lot of us just don't take the time to reflect on the consequences of our actions and words. And that we have a habit of getting swept up in drama that we have little to no skin in.

That's why I don't like to adopt any labels. The moment we do, we're now backing that entire group and everything they do/stand for. It makes the scope of debate way to broad to be productive.

For example, if I say I'm a liberal, then I'm on the line for *everything* that label stands for. The entire pantheon of liberal politics is now on my head, from social security to full blown pinko communism. So I try to put my support behind policies and individual political actions rather than the entire political movement that represents them.

Last edited by Voltron; 01-27-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 AM   #15
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

It's just pretty shocking to see formerly calm, collected and intelligent people, over the course of an election, decide to make it their crusade to just bring hate and anger about Trump everyday. Like at least once a day, all over the place.

Which isn't to say there isn't similar whackjobs on the right... it just isn't everywhere like it is with the people I'm talking about.
most of the time i see people doing it, it's in hollywood circles. I've had to stop talking to some artist personality, because they just went full on derangement syndrome and got impossible to talk too. All because I didn't like something he did.

but lately it's effecting everyone, and not just in political circles either. and that's the scary part.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I see it mostly in American focused places
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
Vegita-San
Emperor

It's worldwide.

I made the mistake of saying 'this is america' in referencing supermans famous phrase of 'american way' being a problem. and someone from the UK lost their crap. all cause he wasn't posting from america.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog..._syndrome.html

Old 01-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

We coulda avoided all this $hit if you people would've just voted for a write-in candidate.

Like me. I'd be fvcking awesome as a President.

Don't raise taxes, don't get "spinach dip" on the blue dress, free healthcare and college tuition for everyone. Oh, and invade a third-world country to liberate their oil--I mean, liberate their people.

What's not to love? Vote for me, fvckers.

#CylonsforPresident
Old 01-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Well Voltron, that's easy enough to believe, and I did leave room for the possibility of geographical differences. I try only ever to call what I see personally. I factor in the data from places like "over there", but again, I can't trust or swear to it unconditionally unless it happens right in front of me.

Call it "Pro Wrestling Locker Room Syndrome". The first lesson given is, "Believe HALF of what you see and NONE of what you hear." It becomes impossible not to apply it to real-life situations, but it's actually a good rule to live by in general. Especially in the era of "Fake News".

That's why I take everything with a big bag of salt and can't get upset about any of it. Whatever happened almost certainly didn't happen exactly as it was reported, and all news is slanted one way or the other. You know the old saying; " There's three sides to everything: Your Side, My Side, and The Truth."

Your closing paragraph is more or less how I feel as well. I'm conservative about things like immigration and the economy, and liberal about things like abortion, but I'm not on either side hard enough to wear a sticker. Since my stance on those issues is never, ever going to change, I wouldn't be welcomed with open arms by either side.

I'm just kinda floating in the middle calling all the extremists a bunch'a twits. At least the water's nice and warm.

Tags
let's get deranged, sjw syndrome