The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #21
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You do realize you can still do that and still watch TMNT shows. Dropping one franchise isn't going to completely change your life.
I'm not saying I'm totally done with the Ninja Turtles, but they're just not as important to me as they used to be. My dad always says it's not healthy to live in the past, and sometimes I feel like that's all I ever do when I indulge in this stuff. I'd rather focus on my own original ideas and characters.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 08-09-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #22
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I think that's a good way to look at it if you want to, Jeph. Original ideas are a good thing.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #23
Chris
Mad Scientist

Not dropped it (I think I'm up to date with UK airings, so an episode or 2 before the end of the space arc) but I'm no longer racing to watch the latest US episode online. Probably should though, I've no idea when it's coming back on over here.

Gotta say though, the drawn out arcs with lots of filler episodes (Northampton last season, Space arc this season) combined with the long breaks really are killer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I'm not saying I'm totally done with the Ninja Turtles, but they're just not as important to me as they used to be. My dad always says it's not healthy to live in the past, and sometimes I feel like that's all I ever do when I indulge in this stuff. I'd rather focus on my own original ideas and characters.
I kind of feel the same way. but only since the buyout happened. there just doesn't seem to be alot of care put in to making it the best it can be. although i don't think they are going out of their way to make a bad product....no one really does. just, something is missing and the care doesn't seem to be there.

to me, the only thing i really look forward to each time is idw products.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Considering the writers are huge TMNT fans and have taken characters and plotlines from all the series, I think they're in good hands. They also revived characters I never expected to see again like Lord Dregg, Mutagen Man, Muckman, Wyrm, the other various mutants, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

I'm doing the opposite of dropping the show. I'm becoming more invested 'cos I'm starting a podcast about it. I'll post more on that as it gets closer to fruition, but my here's my thoughts :

This show is good. Sometimes it's great. The animation style is awesome, the voice cast is perfect, and I really enjoy the way the writing blends genres throughout the seasons. I grew up with the FW show, but it doesn't age well. I didn't get into the 4Kids show 'cos I was too concerned with high school, basketball and girls - I know, I regret it. Now, as a 27yr old, I thoroughly enjoy the Nick cartoon. Are there things I dislike? Sure, but they're few and far between (mostly pacing issues). I feel like the writers and showrunners do a good job of balancing the fun and serious aspects of the Turtles, we get to see lots of martial arts action, and the Turtles characterizations are some of my favorite. I wish they didn't harp on Mikey being an airhead so much, but I know kids enjoy that.

Long story longer, I dig this show and I hope it continues to do well and I hope it reaches Cybercubed's goal of 150 episodes (and then some).
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #27
ABrown
Banned

Seasons three and four have certainly made me consider it.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #28
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

My biggest problem with the show, is it suffers from the same problems That all Nickelodeon series suffer from. Weird breaks and hiatuses that make no sense.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I dropped the show in the beginning of S3. I'm not a big fan of following shows week to week anymore, I just don't have the patience, especially with hiatuses. I lose track of when it comes back and whatnot. I don't hate the show but I also don't love it which makes me even more apathetic about it. I'll definitely be marathoning it when we know it's airing its final season.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #30
TMNTInsighter
Banned

Hey, even Batman TAS had its fair share of stinkers and it's one of the best action cartoons of all time. I even own every volume on DVD.

As for this version of the TMNT, it's definitely one of the most ambitious series to hit the airwaves in a long time and that alone makes it worth the watch. Some episodes are definitely under appreciated and so many of the characters and story threads hold a LOT of potential.

As for the hiatuses though, I agree. I know there's more work involved in this kind of animation than is usually the case but I just ran some numbers. This is apparently the longest hiatus we've been stuck in: 111 days between new episodes (ELS to City at War), and these aren't finales and/or premieres. That number is unacceptable! And I know a lot of live action shows as well (ex. Person of Interest) have been going on hiatuses between episodes too.
I know that they said the new movie being released was a part of the reason new episodes either couldn't or wouldn't take place--that's a pile of garbage! If anything, new episodes would've helped with the promotion. It bombed though and I'm both surprised and glad it did. I love the TMNT, they're some of the most developed characters I've ever seen, but a Michael Bay involved pic finally got what it deserved.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to it returning this Sunday. I'm most interested to see how Karai will get her revenge and most likely taking control of the Foot Clan away from Shredder with Shinigami's and the turtles' help. I'm also looking forward to seeing more Mutanimals as I do find the supporting cast just as good if not more interesting than the main one.
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #31
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
I'm doing the opposite of dropping the show. I'm becoming more invested 'cos I'm starting a podcast about it. I'll post more on that as it gets closer to fruition, but my here's my thoughts :

This show is good. Sometimes it's great. The animation style is awesome, the voice cast is perfect, and I really enjoy the way the writing blends genres throughout the seasons. I grew up with the FW show, but it doesn't age well. I didn't get into the 4Kids show 'cos I was too concerned with high school, basketball and girls - I know, I regret it. Now, as a 27yr old, I thoroughly enjoy the Nick cartoon. Are there things I dislike? Sure, but they're few and far between (mostly pacing issues). I feel like the writers and showrunners do a good job of balancing the fun and serious aspects of the Turtles, we get to see lots of martial arts action, and the Turtles characterizations are some of my favorite. I wish they didn't harp on Mikey being an airhead so much, but I know kids enjoy that.

Long story longer, I dig this show and I hope it continues to do well and I hope it reaches Cybercubed's goal of 150 episodes (and then some).
I'm already running a TMNT podcast called Heroes in a Half-Cast you are welcome to join us.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I unintentionally dropped it after Race with the Demon, which was when the show went into hiatus during the winter. After losing track of the new episodes on nick.com, I just lost interest in being up to date with the show. I plan to catch up once I take advantage of a free Hulu trial or something, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

I am on the same boat with Vegita-San. I had qualms about this show since the previews first came out, and I am still not fully impressed. Sure, it has made me chuckle a few times, but it has grossed me out and left my head scratching a lot more. With the Fred Wolf and 4Kids shows, I can always come back to them and watch episodes that I enjoy. With the Nick show, I can't say I have ever felt the urge to rewatch them.

For the next TMNT series, I feel it should be somewhat in vain of the Red Sky seasons of the Fred Wolf show, just without the ominous red sky, way less mutants, and a mix of lighthearted humor with serious action. Maybe even bring Raphael's sarcasm and breaking the fourth wall back.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
For the next TMNT series, I feel it should be somewhat in vain of the Red Sky seasons of the Fred Wolf show, just without ominous red sky, and a mix of lighthearted humor with serious action. Maybe even bring Raphael's sarcasm and breaking the fourth wall back.
So basically the 4Kids cartoon with fourth wall jokes.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
So basically the 4Kids cartoon with fourth wall jokes.
Come to think of it, that wouldn't be such a great idea. I guess what I meant was a mix of Fred Wolf Raphael with 4Kids Raphael.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #35
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
I am on the same boat with Vegita-San. I had qualms about this show since the previews first came out, and I am still not fully impressed. Sure, it has made me chuckle a few times, but it has grossed me out and left my head scratching a lot more. With the Fred Wolf and 4Kids shows, I can always come back to them and watch episodes that I enjoy. With the Nick show, I can't say I have ever felt the urge to rewatch them.
yeah. this is the ONLY show where I havn't felt the need to rewatch maybe 95% of the shows. I'd say more than 3/4ths have been one and dones. and some I had to force myself to finish, like gross out ShellAcne and Mega Shredder episodes.

Me, one of the older bigger tmnt fans sees no need to rewatch this show, or continue watching it.

If I'm not alone in that thought, in the old days nick would notice they'd have a problem. b ut that was back when die hard fans mattered to studios.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #36
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I've rewatched the occasional Season 1 episode now and again.
In particular the Pulverizer series, because I still maintain that watching that kid just melt and be kept in a tank is one of the most disturbing things the show has ever done.

I've also recommended the show to a friend who's a professor of sociology at the undergraduate level. She was teaching a module on Nice Guys/Friend Zone, and that episode with Don's April Will Hang Out With me flow chart wound up being one of her slides.

Rather proud of that one.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #37
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

The show got worse for me. I plan on dropping it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #38
Meliwen
Foot Soldier

I've kind of stopped watching after Moons of Thalos 3. Mainly because season 3 burned me out a bit (I've gotten really tired of Leo lately), and the next episode just really didn't seem like my cup of tea. So I skipped it, and skipped most of the space episodes. I've only watched maybe 3 or 4. Although mostly it was just because my attention was captured by other things and not necessarily because I outright disliked the show.

I wouldn't say I dropped the show, just taken my own hiatus from it. I'm gonna keep up and probably watch the new episodes and watch the ones I missed after my enthusiasm for the show is rekindled.
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #39
DVD
Mad Scientist

I always look forward to the new episodes and have seen every one within a couple of hours of the US premieres.
As for breaks: In a given season we have been getting 26 episodes. If they were screened back to back, we have a 6 month lul with nothing new.
The show also has to sell the toys, so it's in Nick's best interest to keep the show 'fresh' throughout the year.
Of course the most most recent, long lul, allowed fort the new movie - which I a still haven't seen. Bad timing on my part.
So no - not dropping the show.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #40
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This was the first TMNT show I managed to binge watch when I decided to check it out last year.

All things considered, it seems more like it dropped me. I'll still watch it, if only to see where things go from where it left off. Doesn't mean I'll enjoy it, and maybe there will be some things I'll like. But I know they're not going to resolve any of the crushes anytime soon, and they'll probably do a sh*t job with the new girl character.