The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #61
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Many of those 90s cartoons are incredibly dark in theme, you just don't notice it because the rest of the episode plot or characters are written in such a way that it's just cheesy or take away from the grim situation many of the characters are in. Seriously if not because of the dialog many shows have some pretty dark settings.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

All 90's cartoons had to work around the censors. It's amazing we did get shows like B:TAS and Gargoyles in a time when cartoons were considered "just for kids" and the censors were especially hard back then.

It's funny how much things changed as we got into the 2000's. Granted nowadays we have alot of comedy, but for a while we got some really great action cartoons all in a row from about the late 90's through 2012 or so.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #63
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Censorship is such a weird thing, yes, you see how cartoons can get away with so much more than they did from the 80s to the 90s and 90s to the 00's but in other ways there's also so much stuff that cartoons just can't get away with anymore. Sometimes when I watch new stuff I think of all the things they get away with but at the same time when I re-watch stuff I think "wow, that wouldn't reach it to air anymore".
Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #64
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I think the censorship started loosening up around that time(mid 90's), since cartoons were no longer considered as much of a "threat" to kids as the emerging mainstream pooularity of media like video games.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of ironic when you see sexual innuendo in blatant kids shows. I mean I know they put that stuff in there because they know adults are watching, but why bother when it'll fly over kids heads?

Almost any female character in any cartoon I've watched winds up being sexualized at least once in the shows run. It's like all writers view their female characters as sex objects.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #66
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's kind of ironic when you see sexual innuendo in blatant kids shows. I mean I know they put that stuff in there because they know adults are watching, but why bother when it'll fly over kids heads?
You just answered your own question also I guess they think its funny to write dirty jokes in kids cartoons.

Quote:
Almost any female character in any cartoon I've watched winds up being sexualized at least once in the shows run. It's like all writers view their female characters as sex objects.
It mostly because animators are perverts also to be fair there are a lot of instances where the males are sexualized too. I personally don't mind the cheesecake
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 AM   #67
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
From what I understand, the writers just like to amuse themselves.

Quote:
That... Doesn't seem right. Any concrete examples outside of adult shows and anime?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #68
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Because, it's fun to do something that they are not supposed to do?

Quote:
Are a good old liberal drivel.
Pretending to be lefty is not yours, 'cubed.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #69
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
but why bother when it'll fly over kids heads?
They may understand more when getting older.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That... Doesn't seem right. Any concrete examples outside of adult shows and anime?
It happens all the time in regular action cartoons, DC or Marvel cartoons. Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, Avengers: EMH, etc. Even Nick's TMNT gave us April ass shots in the camera and she's only 16 in that series.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #71
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Not everything is an "ass shot", they're just normal movements of the body, so yeah if she's crouching or whatever she'll have an "ass shot". It doesn't mean they were explicitly animating that for fapping purposes.

Yeah, you can google and find all these screen caps and videos of compilations of them but that's done by perverts who try to find the slightest thing to match their fetish and compile it. That doesn't mean anything only that a few losers have too much time to compile set images and people who are "outraged" use that as an example that "oh that show is perverted" or whatever when it's not.

It's the same strategies that religious people used to try to ban music and video games in the 90s. And yeah just because some shows do do it intentionally doesn't mean anything.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's still blatant enough for people to notice it. Happens in kids animes like Pokemon too, all the pokegirls are heavily sexualized in various episodes with suggestive shots, outfits, dresses, bikini's, etc. The animators even admitted they like doing that and on twitter they retweet suggestive fanart from fans.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #73
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It happens all the time in regular action cartoons, DC or Marvel cartoons. Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, Avengers: EMH, etc. Even Nick's TMNT gave us April ass shots in the camera and she's only 16 in that series.
Are you talking about these moments?
Spoiler:

Kind of... I guess? Doesn't seem that sexualised to me.

Not sure what made you think of JLU though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #74
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
The animators even admitted they like doing that and on twitter they retweet suggestive fanart from fans.
Did they ever retweet a Day Inside May?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Happens to every female in Pokemon. It is an anime after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Are you talking about these moments?

Kind of... I guess? Doesn't seem that sexualised to me.

Not sure what made you think of JLU though.
Yes, this and other stuff with Starfire too, there's a scene where her boobs bounce when she gets jealous of Robin going on a date with that blonde girl named Kitty on the boat.

JLU had a whole bunch of sexual innuendo with Hawkgirl especially when she was sleeping around after she broke up with John, we see Vixen wearing skimp outfits, the whole lesbian stuff with Harley and Ivy.

Bruce Timm especially is known for heavily sexualizing his characters, it's gotten even worse in his recent movies where Batgirl has sex with Batman in the rooftop in "The Killing Joke" or the Harley ass in the camera, and attempted rape scene of Nightwing.

Go scour the likes of twitter and tumblr and type in keywords and you'll see people took screencaps and posted whole rants on this stuff.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #76
sdp
Megan Fox = April

No real adult is getting excited by these things, sure you can find freaks on the internet but I mean it's the internet you can find people who like almost anything.

Little kids don't notice, I sure didn't and didn't care, "sexualization" is very much a cultural thing that is learned and to a kid seeing a girl in a bikini was no different than seeing her in a one piece, that was definitely the case for me. I didn't notice any of the skin revealing costumes that say a Power Rangers series showed either.

Now as I grew older around 10 that's when I started to notice these things and I liked them. I wanted to see more shows like these since my body was changing and now I found certain things appealing, I remember liking anime characters around that age as well.

When I saw the original Dragon Ball as a kid uncensored I didn't find any of the early bulma stuff as something sexual, they were gags and I found it funny that Yamcha grabbed her boobs thinking they were Dragon Balls or that he accidentally saw Bulma naked. Now adults who never watched Dragon Ball look at it like "HOW DID THEY LET THIS AIR IN A KIDS CARTOON".

Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #77
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No real adult is getting excited by these things, sure you can find freaks on the internet but I mean it's the internet you can find people who like almost anything.
You honestly be surprised, there is a good reason why a lot of hentai artist are getting good money for their drawings.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:03 AM   #78
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
He's right though, compared to the 2k3 or 2k12 series the show has very little action or continuity, and most episodes after the first season aren't very good.
That's because it was the 80s and the show was originally syndicated. Of course it was episodic, like practically everything from that time and prior. It was set up that way so that any viewer can watch an episode and not be lost. It's not like now where you can hop on Hulu and Netflix and marathon shows. Back then when you missed an ep, you MISSED it...unless you recorded it. Who knew when the episode would air again. This is a poor point to use as a negative towards the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Exactly. Three also had episodes like The Gangs All Here and Michelangelos Birthday, both of which began with the more serious premise from earlier seasons, and brcame increasingly comedic as they progressed.
This was about the time CBS started airing it, right? It had to be toned down a bit since it was airing on a network station on Saturday morning, I'm assuming. That's when the show became sillier, imo.
Quote:
I honestly didn't notice the thing with April until YOU brought it up all that time ago.

Last edited by ssjup81; 02-27-2018 at 04:15 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #79
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
All 90's cartoons had to work around the censors. It's amazing we did get shows like B:TAS and Gargoyles in a time when cartoons were considered "just for kids" and the censors were especially hard back then.
Well, with Batman TAS, that was on Fox...they seemed more lax in general.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #80
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
No examples, just "feelings".
You've got the part of being "progressive" just right, 'cubed.

Quote:
Go scour the likes of twitter and tumblr and type in keywords and you'll see people took screencaps and posted whole rants on this stuff.
I think we all have a better things to do than scouring Internet for ramblings of trolls and people with mental problems.

In general, your argumentation is no different than that of zealots who wanted to ban TMNT for propaganda of "occult values" back in the 90s. And if simple boob jiggle is considered "horribly offensive" to you, than you need to talk to psychologist.

Also, what's wrong with Lesbian stuff about Harley and Ivy? If you are progressive you should celebrate inclusion of same-sex relationships in the story.
And wasn't you big fan of Lesbians at some point?

upd:
Modern animated Timm movies are made for adults in general, and unless you think that adults should not know anything about sex, than your rambling makes even less sense (if it is possible).

Last edited by Sumac; 02-27-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote