The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #1
jestermon
Hench Mutant

Next Mutation

I really tried to give it a chance but man it's rough.
jestermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

When I was with Ceres, after dropping PrincessUtrom off at the airport, we each knocked out half a bottle of carbonated wine watching the first five episodes.

What I remember is blurry, but painful. But at the very least, I remember getting a good laugh out of Venus telling Michelangelo his head was empty.

In hindsight, the only thing that could have made Shredder's redemption 10 times more corny, was if he immediately asked "do you know know where my mother is?"
Old 01-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #3
jestermon
Hench Mutant

The yeti guy with Dick Tracy goons is funny all baddies are white of course.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

It's a pretty terrible show on all accounts, I can't imagine anyone giving it genuine praise. It's fascinating how a show with sound design this obnoxious was ever approved, it's extremely distracting.

The closest thing to a positive I can say about this show is that it's short, and therefore a little easier to sit through than all of the FW cartoon. The avarage episode of the FW cartoon is technically better, because they just bore me rather than annoy me, but I'd still rather be annoyed for 9 hours than bored for 3 days. That's not really a positive since it's only in comparison to something else I dislike, it's just the best argument I can some up with for watching it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You gotta approach it from the "this is so terrible that it's funny" mindset.

Who ever thought using the same hokey formula and sound effects concept that the Power Rangers use was a good idea was clueless about TMNT. I mean, when I haven't watched an episode of the Rangers a day in my life, only the commercials, but immediately could tell who produced Next Mutation when I binge watched it a few years ago, seeing it for the first time... *sigh*
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

I only took a glance at this show, my sister was looking for TMNT for my son to watch on her tablet and that came up, we were like 'what?', it didn't look like something I feel I want to explore.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
You gotta approach it from the "this is so terrible that it's funny" mindset.

Who ever thought using the same hokey formula and sound effects concept that the Power Rangers use was a good idea was clueless about TMNT. I mean, when I haven't watched an episode of the Rangers a day in my life, only the commercials, but immediately could tell who produced Next Mutation when I binge watched it a few years ago, seeing it for the first time... *sigh*
Power Rangers isn't exactly good either, it's literally just the Sentai shows edited to be disguised as an American production. And even that doesn't come across as genuine, most of the actors they use are New Zealanders and the new footage is filmed in New Zealand as well. So you have this weird mix of Tokyo and (I think) Auckland footage that allegedly represents California, and you're supposed to buy it because of obviously fake American accents. It's bizarre.

Oh right, and the sound mixing and "hijinks" added in even before they moved to New Zealand sucks too. I just can't say it's quite as bad as Next Mutation, since you still get some decent choreography and puppets (even if I'd recommend that you'd watch the real shows rather the US/NZ clusterF-word).
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I have access to the Next Mutation on Netflix but I still haven't seen it yet. Plan to marathon it soon.

Its a shame however, when I heard that the theme song was changed because I liked the original.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Next Mutation makes TMNT 3 look like Citizen Kane
Old 01-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So you have this weird mix of Tokyo and (I think) Auckland footage that allegedly represents California, and you're supposed to buy it because of obviously fake American accents. It's bizarre.
Okay, that's kind of hilarious.

Tell you what though, since Mystery Science Theater 3000 came back (which I just realized is a Netflix thing so no wonder I haven't actually seen it), I really want them to do shows like Next Mutation and the two newest TMNT films. If anything like the original '3000' series, that would be awesome.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Power Rangers isn't exactly good either, it's literally just the Sentai shows edited to be disguised as an American production.
People won't admit it but the best Saban live action adventure series in terms of creativity and depth is still Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. Obviously it's the least appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Its a shame however, when I heard that the theme song was changed because I liked the original.
That doesn't make me want to watch it. A small thing but it kind of made the show somewhat any good. I just can't believe a TV series would lose the rights to it's own theme song...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
jestermon
Hench Mutant

Well, I finished the vampires were the best villians.

I've watched the New Zealand power rangers they never say they are in the US.

The noises confuse me the occasional one wouldn't have been bad but it was constant.

Last edited by jestermon; 01-26-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I just started watching this on Netflix the other day, holy sh!t finally a TMNT show I actually like

I mean yeah I watched the Fred Wolf cartoon back when I was a kid but as an adult I can't get into it anymore. The 2K3 show came out when I was a young teen and wasn't spending much time watching TV and the Nick show just never appealed to me. I went into this expecting it to be awful but because of that I was open-minded and willing to just take it for what it is, which is an off-the-wall bonkers interpretation of TMNT. It's like the TMNT were turned into a live-action anime. I can totally see the Saban Entertainment influence; I am strongly reminded of watching Power Rangers and Beetleborgs at my old babysitter's house in California.

I'm gonna finish the series and see how I like the rest of it. So far it's at least been more watchable to me than any of the TMNT cartoons.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I just started watching this on Netflix the other day, holy sh!t finally a TMNT show I actually like

I mean yeah I watched the Fred Wolf cartoon back when I was a kid but as an adult I can't get into it anymore. The 2K3 show came out when I was a young teen and wasn't spending much time watching TV and the Nick show just never appealed to me. I went into this expecting it to be awful but because of that I was open-minded and willing to just take it for what it is, which is an off-the-wall bonkers interpretation of TMNT. It's like the TMNT were turned into a live-action anime. I can totally see the Saban Entertainment influence; I am strongly reminded of watching Power Rangers and Beetleborgs at my old babysitter's house in California.

I'm gonna finish the series and see how I like the rest of it. So far it's at least been more watchable to me than any of the TMNT cartoons.

As a true Saban show, it gets both better and worse as it goes on. I've never watched the Netflix version so I"m unsure if the new soundtrack is better or worse. Don't forget to watch the Power Rangers/Next Mutation crossover which is the third episode of Power Rangers in Space. It makes no sense but it's awesome seeing the turles and rangers fight each other, it also features the best fight scenes the TNM ever had since I guess the Power Rangers team had better stunt actors.

Last edited by sdp; 01-30-2018 at 12:46 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
When I was with Ceres, after dropping PrincessUtrom off at the airport, we each knocked out half a bottle of carbonated wine watching the first five episodes.

What I remember is blurry, but painful. But at the very least, I remember getting a good laugh out of Venus telling Michelangelo his head was empty.

In hindsight, the only thing that could have made Shredder's redemption 10 times more corny, was if he immediately asked "do you know know where my mother is?"
I'm gonna derail this thread... UM, you hang out with not one, but two fellow Dromies? And fellow Ootie enthusiasts as well?
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
ABrown
Banned

The only good thing I can say about the Next Mutation is that its great for insomnia.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
dragonside
Hench Mutant

the footage was okay, but the sound design was just the worst.

could have been done so much better.

if they focused on more dramatic fighting scenes, i think it could have easily been one of the best shows.

One such episode would have been "The Good Dragon", had lots of potential.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #18
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestermon View Post
I really tried to give it a chance but man it's rough.
The costumes and animatronics were decent enough, but the dialog and acting is what failed in my opinion. Also some of the storylines were pretty cheesy. It comes off like a goofball cheesy type of satire or something, much like the 1966 Batman TV series. I guess it's a show aimed at being goofy and to not be taken too seriously.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Then there's random stuff like Silver. It's like, "Hey, it's a humanoid talking gorilla in a business suit," and it's treated like this completely normal, expected thing to see. Right? They didn't even bother to explain Silver, did they?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They didn't even bother to explain Silver, did they?
I think he was a yeti or somesuch? . . . which means he can speak english?! . . . and that's about all we got.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote