The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
RossMay
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Push for Forever War on IDW boards

Hi everyone. Over at the IDW boards there is one older thread that sort of petered out requesting IDW get Steve Murphy to finish the Forever War story. Since I know a lot more people have expressed interest in it, I would encourage you all to post on the thread here:
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=9889

Let IDW know you would like to see Steve Murphy and Chris Allan tell this story.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Will they really do it? That editor in the questions thread said that for now, they only want to focus on their TMNT series. Only if it proves successful would they consider releasing specials set in either the Mirage or Archie universe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

IDW's TMNT series isn't even out yet. So it will probably be a year or two of sales figures before they determine whether such a venture is worth the capital.

But bear these two things in mind:

IDW resurrected Marvel's GI Joe series from the original numbering with the original writer at the behest of fans.

IDW just announced that they're resurrecting Marvel's Transformers series from the original numbering with the original writer and artist at the behest of fans.

If anyone is willing to resurrect an old series for a proper conclusion, it would be IDW. All we can do is put the seed in their heads now, support their TMNT titles so the profits are strong and keep our voices loud.

After that, if IDW shows sufficient interest, it's in Steve Murphy's and Chris Allan's hands. If those two don't want to do it then we're all outta luck.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

I've heard word on this forum from Andrew Modeen that Murphy is trying to talk IDW into publishing Forever War, and from my correspondence with Chris Allan, he seems entirely willing to jump back into the TMNT saddle, so all systems seem ready to go.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 08-03-2011 at 04:19 PM.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
RossMay
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I'm sort of with you Dr. Spengler, and I know it will take a long time (and after IDW sees how successful they are with the turtles) but yeah, the reason I'm encouraging people to speak up now is because Murph has put word in with IDW about it.

And who knows, maybe they'll say they can't think about it for a year or two. But I think it's good to play it up right now, then maybe push for it again after their main comic series gets rolling.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Forever War being completed would also convince IDW to start putting out Archie trades, so that is a plus.

Now if only all this new TMNT stuff especially with Eastman involved finally motivates PL to finish Volume 4.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Incidentally, "The Forever War" was the subject of my most recent research article at TMNT Entity (I had just about finished writing it when this thread popped up):

Whatever Happened to "The Forever War"?

All information you pros likely know, but it should prove a more compelling read for casual fans.

I made sure to list the IDW forums thread and IDW's e-mail address at the bottom, encouraging fans to contact them about seeing the series completed.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Wow, what a backstory to everything with Murphy and the Archie heads... I'm so glad that Murph's reconsidering finishing it, and with Chris Allan on board... I'm gonna absolutely jump on it if it comes to fruition.

I love seeing the teaser covers and the sketch work. I always did like Splinter's samurai uniform...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

At this point if this thing ever sees the light of day, I imagine the story we get now will be totally different than the one planned from 1995. Not that it really matters though.

I'd like to see it completed, but I get the feeling the hype of it being delayed for 15 years makes it more interesting than it might actually turn out.

I've already accepted "Year of the Turtle" as the Archie finale for over 15 years now, so if it doesn't happen, I already have my ending.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I noticed you kinda vilify Peter here, saying he's the cause of the "second demise". But from what I understood, the reason it never came out in May or August was because Murphy simply never got his sh*t together and wrote it.

So yeah, Pete's selling of the property nipped it for good... but if Murphy had it ready for a May release, that wouldn't have been an problem, right?

Last edited by ToTheNines; 08-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
the reason it never came out in May or August was because Murphy simply never got his sh*t together and wrote it.
If that was true, how come he'd already written 2/3 of it and Chris Allan hadn't drawn anything yet?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If that was true, how come he'd already written 2/3 of it and Chris Allan hadn't drawn anything yet?
Yeah, that's the point I really remember.

Wasn't Allan going through a difficult time (financially anyway) transitioning away from being a full-time artist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Incidentally, "The Forever War" was the subject of my most recent research article at TMNT Entity (I had just about finished writing it when this thread popped up):

Whatever Happened to "The Forever War"?
Great article, Spengs, but you might wanna revise this sentence:
"as the number of children plummeted with the increased competition from video games."

You meant to say "the number of children readers" plummeted with the increased competition from video games, right? lol

Also, weren't the terms of the Viacom deal that Laird could publish 18 Mirage Universe stories a year? Your post claims 15.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Great article, Spengs, but you might wanna revise this sentence:
"as the number of children plummeted with the increased competition from video games."

You meant to say "the number of children readers" plummeted with the increased competition from video games, right? lol

Also, weren't the terms of the Viacom deal that Laird could publish 18 Mirage Universe stories a year? Your post claims 15.
It's a quote of Murph's, so I imagine he wishes to keep it as it was originally written.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's a quote of Murph's, so I imagine he wishes to keep it as it was originally written.
So... video games really do kill children? We really should have listened to Joe Lieberman back in the day!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It might matter if he actually intended on publishing anything period. He was barely doing 12 issues a year when Tales was in full swing. It was late all the time.

This would be awesome by the way and I seriously hope it happens.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Fixed the Murph quote (I did fail to transcribe "reading comics" in there, whoops) and changed the number from 15 to 18.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Awesome article. Stuff I knew, stuff I didn't, well-done all-around.

I loved the Archie book and Forever War would be my most-anticipated bit of TMNT ever. I still hold out hope I'll see some version of it in my lifetime. I like to see things get the ending they deserve.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote