The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #2781
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh my god, it feels so nice outside...it actually feels like fall, at 58 F/14/C. I've seen that it'll pick back up to the 70's later, but then drop down again.

It better, because it feels great.

UPDATE:

I opened a window in my room to let in some of that nice air. So of course the cats love it.

To my DeviantArt

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-10-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #2782
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Brr not me. It's been bone-chilling here in my drive through window all day. The wind blows right through the window and it has teeth in it. I like it cooler but not THIS cool! 70's are fine with me. It feels nice and still kind of warm. But this chill gusty wind makes my nose run like a faucet and makes my whole body ache.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #2783
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It must be a lot colder in Ft. Worth because I don't think it's that cold. It's nice enough that I opened a window.

To my DeviantArt
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #2784
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

90 and humid makes me happy.

last nights florida humidity with 70s temps was perfect
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #2785
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

We're actually a bit further north-west of Ft. Worth, in Wise County. It's mostly rural farmland and pastures here. Doesn't hold the heat as well as more populated areas where the pavement and large buildings tend to absorb the heat and radiate it back more. And being so open means there is little to block the wind too. We have nothing but hills and occasional patches of woods here. Wind gets pretty gusty and you can't get away from it. It's tiring. We can be almost 10 degrees cooler than Ft. worth and Dallas on a given day!

Old 10-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #2786
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Does it at least help a little in the summer though? I don't envy it in the winter, but at least you're not a northern state, that would suck pretty bad!

Although speaking of cold winds, I don't look forward to the winter version of the wind tunnel effect behind my work due to the steep embankment behind it. I've learned make better use of the ChapStick though. But getting that in the face, esp on a windy day? Ugh. Kinda nice in the summer though.

Right now though I'm enjoying October hitting a few low 80s and upper 70s lately. Will miss it when it dies off again.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #2787
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

\o/!
Whole class got an extension for paper rewrites!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #2788
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

In summer it is worse. The fact that we have little to block wind in winter also means nothing blocking the sun. Just dry mostly flat and empty fields and what passes for a breeze is just as hot as everything around. It might be a few degrees cooler than the cities but at the high 90's and 100's we usually get it makes little difference. Nothing channels or directs the wind either so it tends to die down over flat land and then you just start to melt.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #2789
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Sometimes it does get cold enough to get at least a little bit of snow - though a few years back we got a good several inches, which was highly unusual. It will usually last about a week or so before it all melts.

To my DeviantArt
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #2790
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I think I remember when you mean. That year we got almost a foot and a half here. Had to walk in it to work for a week and the first day we closed the store and were sliding down the ice on the parking lot entrance on food trays. Then there was another time a few years before that- '08 I think- when it snowed the day before Valentine's Day and we had almost two feet in Denison where I lived then. I remember it so well because Demona had her last litter of kittens (three!) on Valentine's morning IN BED WITH ME! It was so cold (and we had no power at the time) that she crawled under the covers next to me to have them- ignoring the nest I had made her.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #2791
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm trying to think if that's the year I'm thinking of. Most of the big ones in my memory were from when I was in high school.

School was closed for a week because of how bad the snow was, and we just stayed in the house the whole time. One big reason being that my brother's leg was broken at the time (spiral fracture in his thigh!), and he had to be in bed rest the whole time.

We almost had that situation with a pregnant cat that I brought home from the woods in 2008 (Boots), but she was decent enough to stay on top of the covers in the pull-out couch bed and gave us time to set it up.

In a new happy maker, I rearranged my room a little bit, since it was time to do something new, and I'm pretty happy with what I've got for the moment. Put the bed on a wall that it's never been on, since I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

To my DeviantArt
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #2792
Papenbrook
Bryce Papenbrook

These are cute!

Spoiler:
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #2793
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Got started on my little bit of outside Halloween decorating. So far working as envisioned.

Even solved the lack of small ground/garden stakes I needed (which I guess are a bit out of season now) with hooked tent pegs I found at a still somewhat new-ish camping & outdoor rec store.

Wanted to do a handmade web on what remains of our old cherry tree and found some cool, fluffy, off-white yarn on clearance the other day that I'd hoped would make it cobwebby looking (and just left the loose tied ends to add to that effect) and I think turned out better than the basic string I originally had in mind.

Spoiler:

At some point my intention is to have a 5' skeleton sitting/crouching up there on top with a lantern. Have a big furry spider for it, too, but I doubt it's really an outdoor thing, so that will wait.

I just hope the squirrels don't decide the yarn is good material to steal. I left a few loose bits for them so maybe they'll accept that and leave my work alone. I attached the main lines to rings and hooks and would LIKE to maybe carefully wrap it up and use it again next year if it survives the outdoors.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #2794
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That's pretty clever !

To my DeviantArt
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #2795
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Love the webs! And I have those same exact tombstones in my window LOL! If the spider is anything like the ones I have, it should be fine outdoors. I have had one of them on the hedge in our patio area for a couple of years now (when I decorate) and he withstands the weather pretty well! Speaking of decorating, I found this cool light up skull mister. The vapor comes out of the nose and eyes and the lights change colors. Spooky!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #2796
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Thanks guys!

Ah, the Dollar Tree tombstones, huh? Not bad for a buck! (And quite a few of those foam Turtle shells have sold already at ours. Does a TMNT lovin' heart good to see that. )

That mister sounds awesome!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #2797
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I was able to buy a six-pack of my favorite imported milk for $1.99.
It’s the Want Want Milk Drink:

These things can be a bit hard to find in my area, so I’m happy I was able to get some at that good of a price.

Something about sipping one of these sweet bad boys and watching anime reality makes the heart happy, y’know?

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #2798
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Thanks guys!

Ah, the Dollar Tree tombstones, huh? Not bad for a buck! (And quite a few of those foam Turtle shells have sold already at ours. Does a TMNT lovin' heart good to see that. )

That mister sounds awesome!
Actually our WalMart had those tombstones too. Mine were "rescued" after they had blown away from- I have no idea where. We had a strong wind one day last year before Halloween and they were lying in the middle of the road far from any houses. I felt sorry for whoever lost them and decided to give them a new home.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #2799
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I made a couple of tiny needle felt Utroms so I can have art models. Plus a tiiiiiny baby one.

To my DeviantArt
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #2800
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Actually our WalMart had those tombstones too. Mine were "rescued" after they had blown away from- I have no idea where. We had a strong wind one day last year before Halloween and they were lying in the middle of the road far from any houses. I felt sorry for whoever lost them and decided to give them a new home.
Ohh, rescued freebies, even better! (And why I went with dollar store ones in case they do try to run off. Maybe the webs will catch them though.)

Homemade webs weather resistance test... over night rain and wind (still)... dried nicely and still in one piece.

Also now came across the GEDmatch site/genealogy tool and look forward to trying it when I have the chance! Why didn't I know of this sooner!

If the raw data from one of the DNA test companies is uploaded to it, it sounds like can be like a meeting point that can compare and connect results of DNA matches who used different DNA test companies (i.e. one used Ancestry and another used 23andMe) so that's exciting. (Looks like it may also be able to take a closer look at the results as well.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.