The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

They had some misses during that period but DC's output in the 90s was still strong. Just way too Event-driven, and once they gave up on that they over-corrected too far the other way and had all the books segregated, with no continuity between them, and little by little everything started to rot. There wasn't much good coming out after 1999 until a bit before Infinite Crisis.

But yeah, the 90s as a whole isn't remembered fondly as far as comics in general but DC's stuff was way better than what anyone else was doing, at least for a while.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #42
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How did Dick die recently? I thought he only faked his own death, but he didn't actually die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
To everyone except Bruce, he was dead for close to 2 years, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Wait, Dick "died"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I didn't know Dick died. What issue did that happen in?
it happened in-between Forever Evil issues #6 & #7.

Dick was technically dead for no more than a minute or two.

the Crime Syndicate hooked him up to a death machine/bomb device with a timer about to go off and they only way it could be deactivated was if Dick's heart stopped beating.

so Lex Luthor smothered him till he flat-lined and then revived him.

it was just a ploy to reel in Nightwing fans into reading Forever Evil cuz they were dropping hints that they were going to kill Dick Grayson for months prior.

Spoiler:

i just hope the quality of story-telling goes up with this new relaunch, cuz a lot of their books have been sucking!!

but i'm definitely NOT going to hold my breath!

Last edited by myconius; 01-25-2016 at 12:12 AM.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #44
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Pre-52 Lois and Clark play a role in Rebirth

http://www.newsarama.com/27726-jurge...s-rebirth.html
hmmmmm! this reeks pretty foul of yet another Superman cross-over event!

most of the Superman titles are already in a cross-over event that just started called 'Savage Dawn'.

and before that they were in cross-over called 'Truth'.

when will they just be honest and name these events what they really should be called?
'poorly written' ... 'ill-conceived' ... 'uninspired' ... 'cash-grab' ... 'p00p'.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #45
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post

most of the Superman titles are already in a cross-over event that just started called 'Savage Dawn'.

The next crossover is called "Super League", all written by the same person and it comes out in April
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #46
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
The next crossover is called "Super League", all written by the same person and it comes out in April
(in a Mr. Bill voice) OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #47
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

when will they just be honest and name these events what they really should be called?
'poorly written' ... 'ill-conceived' ... 'uninspired' ... 'cash-grab' ... 'p00p'.
The reason for the endless events cross-company since 1985 and crossovers with sister titkes sincecrhe early 90s' is it sales bigger than anything else. If Joe the fan stops making random event X the highest selling title maybe DC and Marvel will stop it. Joe the fan complains about it yet contunues to buy into. If he wanted it to stop hevwould not give into compulsion. That is thecroot of the problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #48
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The reason for the endless events cross-company since 1985 and crossovers with sister titkes sincecrhe early 90s' is it sales bigger than anything else. If Joe the fan stops making random event X the highest selling title maybe DC and Marvel will stop it. Joe the fan complains about it yet contunues to buy into. If he wanted it to stop hevwould not give into compulsion. That is thecroot of the problem.
one of the problems is editorial forcing these events to alter the continuity completely.
so if you are unfamiliar with what happened, you'll be pretty much clueless as to what's going on in most of the stories.

once in a while they'll be a stand alone series like (Batman '66) that's really enjoyable. but those are far and few between, and don't usually last long.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #50
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Sales are slipping for both DC and Marvel

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...-and-dc-sales/
they lose more and more customers due to poor quality comics, but instead of trying to improve their comics they just pilfer the wallets of what's left of their dedicated fans.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #51
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
one of the problems is editorial forcing these events to alter the continuity completely.
so if you are unfamiliar with what happened, you'll be pretty much clueless as to what's going on in most of the stories.

once in a while they'll be a stand alone series like (Batman '66) that's really enjoyable. but those are far and few between, and don't usually last long.

I got three DC titles since the reboot. Of Batgirl, Green Lantern, and Batman'66 I loved Batman'66 the best and like TMNT and Star Ears read it thevday it was released. The other three thatvwere actually mainlinevDC and Marvel I buy? I usually bought it a week or two late. Shows the level of interest is in non-mainstream big two. I don't understand why DC cut its Digital First line when it seemed quite successful. Hope for more. It was fun and quality storytelling.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #52
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
I got three DC titles since the reboot. Of Batgirl, Green Lantern, and Batman'66 I loved Batman'66 the best and like TMNT and Star Ears read it thevday it was released. The other three thatvwere actually mainlinevDC and Marvel I buy? I usually bought it a week or two late. Shows the level of interest is in non-mainstream big two. I don't understand why DC cut its Digital First line when it seemed quite successful. Hope for more. It was fun and quality storytelling.
i really wish i knew why they pulled the plug????

Batman '66 was one of the only titles i was reading that was not only fun but was also completely independent of all the other titles.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #53
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
i really wish i knew why they pulled the plug????

Batman '66 was one of the only titles i was reading that was not only fun but was also completely independent of all the other titles.
I saw the thread about Hanna Barbera. I thought it was just fun pictures of what they might look like created in the 2010s' opposed to the 1960s'. Instead it is a whole sub-line by DC Comics of "modernized" HB characters. I thought it was just a fun one off thing a joke. It is sad when a reader thinks a new line is joke upon hearing/reading that. Not good for the publisher. That does not even look like a line of comics. I guess it is a good thing The Jetsons were left untouched...for now. I much rather have the Digital First. It was freaking successful so why pull the plug? Dick Grayson as Batman was successful and they pulled the plug but were able to replace it with an equally successful Court of the Owls cut faced Joker. Yet Dick Grayson's lack of direction was kicked into overdrive so it takes it a step down form being equal even if sales are due to a bit of quality lost. I guess what I am saying its if something is not broke why retool it? There is always the chance of seriously messing up what is already being done, but a much greater chance of ticking people off and hurting the product because of the tickering.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I saw the thread about Hanna Barbera. I thought it was just fun pictures of what they might look like created in the 2010s' opposed to the 1960s'. Instead it is a whole sub-line by DC Comics of "modernized" HB characters. I thought it was just a fun one off thing a joke. It is sad when a reader thinks a new line is joke upon hearing/reading that. Not good for the publisher. That does not even look like a line of comics. I guess it is a good thing The Jetsons were left untouched...for now. I much rather have the Digital First. It was freaking successful so why pull the plug? Dick Grayson as Batman was successful and they pulled the plug but were able to replace it with an equally successful Court of the Owls cut faced Joker. Yet Dick Grayson's lack of direction was kicked into overdrive so it takes it a step down form being equal even if sales are due to a bit of quality lost. I guess what I am saying its if something is not broke why retool it? There is always the chance of seriously messing up what is already being done, but a much greater chance of ticking people off and hurting the product because of the tickering.
Yeah, and now Dick Grayson is James Bond. The writing and story is okay (completely rewritten Helena Bertinelli aside), but the whole basic premise just sticks in my craw...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #55
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, and now Dick Grayson is James Bond. The writing and story is okay (completely rewritten Helena Bertinelli aside), but the whole basic premise just sticks in my craw...
Now he is a reluctant agent of the Owl Court. *shakes head* There is reason I always liked him as
Spoiler:
:
or
Spoiler:

Not much they can do to make a mess of him.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Now he is a reluctant agent of the Owl Court. *shakes head* There is reason I always liked him as or

Not much they can do to make a mess of him.
The reluctant agent of the Court of Owls might have worked if he wasn't just bouncing from one uber spy network to another.

The Court of Owls is the single best concept and single worst actually-written concept ever. So much potential, but they've never done right by them.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The same could have been said about Dr. Hurt and The Black Glove operation and Leviathan afterwards. The latter of which never had time to fully to develope before the reboot cut it off. The before all of that Hush, an individual opposed to the head of an evil organization started, strong with a big story had a period of lagging that went nowhere and then got back to being a notable threat. Yet between Pushback and Heart of Hush did not have quality anywhere near it. His character was almost derailed pretending to be Bruce Wayne after Bruce was missing in time yet managed to vome through it. Any of these three organizations don't seem to have a lasting impact beyond the writer who created them and could make just one single story memorable for many years. Then it gets stale. Instead of building one big storyline thevwriters don't try to spread the wealth of the charactet. Forcing a single big story down our rhroats does not hold in the long term. The character can be added to as time progresses and we get a break and see other villains roate in. It worked for Ras' all those years ago and despite Hush strughling it worked out overall. I don't see any of the three being a reoccuring foe for decades to come. Just a notable threat within a decade.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #58
myconius
Abby Normal

Dick Grayson's new comics series is actually a lot of fun! he's written very well humored, and i find myself constantly tickled at his corny jokes!
one of the funniest gags of the book is how he's issued a gun and seems to constantly "loose" it!!!

i absolutely LOVED the Court of Owls when i first read it!!!

but as time rolled by and i tried to re-read it, i just can't get back into the story as i did the first time!
BUT, i still really love flipping through pages and pages of Greg Capullo's art!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #59
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
The same could have been said about Dr. Hurt and The Black Glove operation and Leviathan afterwards. The latter of which never had time to fully to develope before the reboot cut it off. The before all of that Hush, an individual opposed to the head of an evil organization started, strong with a big story had a period of lagging that went nowhere and then got back to being a notable threat. Yet between Pushback and Heart of Hush did not have quality anywhere near it. His character was almost derailed pretending to be Bruce Wayne after Bruce was missing in time yet managed to vome through it. Any of these three organizations don't seem to have a lasting impact beyond the writer who created them and could make just one single story memorable for many years. Then it gets stale. Instead of building one big storyline thevwriters don't try to spread the wealth of the charactet. Forcing a single big story down our rhroats does not hold in the long term. The character can be added to as time progresses and we get a break and see other villains roate in. It worked for Ras' all those years ago and despite Hush strughling it worked out overall. I don't see any of the three being a reoccuring foe for decades to come. Just a notable threat within a decade.
I feel like Leviathan was well-written, even though I despise Grant Morrison's Batman stuff. Talia created an entire organization to 1) conquer the world but more importantly 2) destroy everything Bruce stands for.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #60
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
even though i really wasn't thrilled with The Black Glove when i first read it, i have to admit it was done a LOT better than Court of Owls!!!

and another testament to that story was as i've re-read it a few more times i saw the hidden layers written into the story!
so well done in fact that it has actually become one of my all-time favorite batman stories.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman