The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Ninjinister
無問題

Rise of the TMNT toy speculation/discussion/announcement thread

Well, probably the biggest news in a while was dropped today; 2018 brings a new 2D animated TMNT series, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

There's very little information on the content (which if you haven't seen yet, and want to read up, there's a topic in the Nicktoon subforum), and literally ZERO toy announcements, but I was thinking about how the toys will go. You know they're obviously going to have toys.

It's a pretty safe bet that Playmates will still have their tentacles on this. And par for the course, the first wave or two will probably start out pretty cool and then quickly diminish into 5 or less PoA underpainted lumps of plastic. I'd love to be wrong though on the latter! I don't want terrible figures!

Megabloks, if they're still under contract, will probably have Rise toys. That'd be neat. Minimates, too, if that still is a thing they'll be doing by then.

My hopes are that all non-Nick lines like stuff based on the '87 series and movies will continue as-is. Especially with Playmates' stuff... I don't want to see them re-re-re-re-re-release the bloody 88 figures AGAIN. Gotta wonder if they'll do more of them there wrestlin' Turtles but with the new Rise designs.

Ooh! I'd also hope to see the Rise characters mix into Heroclix!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It's all about paint jobs/show accuracy for me. I don't really care about scale or or articulation (unless it's some collector type figure)

Having nothing to base the designs on who knows. Judging by the current Nick stuff I'm not very optimistic about them.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

I guess all the effort will be on the first wave, than 5 POA crap
Old 03-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It'll be business as usual
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

The first wave will be good probably, gotta have a decent base for the eventual never ending Turtles Variants.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I just hope Donatellos tooth gap and booyakasha get left behind.

Not feeling the mystic city part, but excited to see the art and toys. Probably just going to get what I like this time around.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
I just hope Donatellos tooth gap and booyakasha get left behind.

Not feeling the mystic city part, but excited to see the art and toys. Probably just going to get what I like this time around.
Yeah, I hope it's little more streamlined design wise...and while I never really hated the 2012 look aside from the goofy gap...I know that cartoon designs these days aren't well...subtle at all.

I think how they would've looked in that dropped 2001 series would do just fine...

...but sadly, I know the press release said they're going for a "younger" vibe.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I speculate there will be a lot, and a lot of 4 year-olds will be happy and a lot of cranky 30, 40 year-old collectors will be cranky, as always.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I speculate there will be a lot, and a lot of 4 year-olds will be happy and a lot of cranky 30, 40 year-old collectors will be cranky, as always.
I dunno... my cousins and friends' kids are in the 3-7 range and they're bothered more by lack of articulation than most adults. If their elbows and knees don't move, they think it's "dumb". Granted, that's a small sample size... but it's the only one I've got so I've got to run with this data.

I did feel the same way as a lad, though. The characters in perma-crouch like Shredder and Foot Soldier were tough to get to stand or pose... all of the lack of knee joints made it tough to get do fights the way we all wanted, and the fact that characters like Traag and Muckman had unpainted deets made me a tiny bit sad. That's not to say I didn't love the f**k out of the back then... I just had tiny complaints.

Last edited by Ninjinister; 03-03-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What? Never, middle aged collectors are so easy to please...

That said, I really enjoyed the line early on, paint details lacking never really bothered me since I repaint most everything. I didn't become disgruntled until they quit releasing new characters, depending on Turtle Variants...though scale issues did kind of bug me.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #11
snake
Disgusting

I'm thinking a more kiddy line between what we have now and HSH, just going off my mental picture of the designs.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

What's there to be expected? We know Playmates' track record. They'll just keep on producing the same level of trash as they always have.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Freeman
Hench Mutant

I'll be most certainly getting the first wave of whatever it comes unless they are too childish of unbareablely ugly.
We could also wish for Paymates loosing this IP...
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

What does everyone think about the other companies' potential Rise offerings? Revoltech maybe? Ooh I'd love for Bandai to do Sprukits. Even though they're models and as sparsely painted as Playmates' stuff I love finally having Turtles in 3.75" scale.

I mean we have no info right now so let's go wild with speculation 'til we do! We already have enough "Playmates sucks" topics as is
Old 03-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Imports like Kaiyodo, Good Smile and Bandai is a tough call to speculate on. Depends on how the show is doing and the designs.

I doubt we'll see more new Revoltech figure, though. The re-release was just sheer luck since they where voted by the fans to be a part of a roster of 10 figures that would get the 10th Anniversary re-release.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I am interested in seeing how the new toys will stand. The 2012 Turtles easily stood with their big feet. But these new designs already have me thinking about the trouble of standing up vintage figures. In the new design April looks to be falling backwards.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I think I just heard them say during the live reveal that Donnie will have interchangeably battle shells that he created bc he’s a soft shell. One shell will have a personality. Sounds like a lot of toy potential to me.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
useasneeded4pain
Foot Soldier

I watched maybe 10 minutes of the Facebook reveal, it was all I could take. The female "expert" playing trivia with Andre was horrible, and didn't know things such as Baxter Stockman or the Technodrome.

Raph looks a lot like an animated version of the 2014 movie.
useasneeded4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Knowing how Playmates had a few fumbles last time with matching up the toys to the art, and now amplifying that because of how weird the proportions seem to be on these designs (not to mention the blockiness) I'm skeptical the figures will be a very good match...
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #20
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I think I just heard them say during the live reveal that Donnie will have interchangeably battle shells that he created bc he’s a soft shell. One shell will have a personality. Sounds like a lot of toy potential to me.
That sounds terrible to me lol
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, action figures, playmates, rise of the tmnt, toys