The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
shreddinghead

Splinter vanishes!

Episode #100 "Splinter vanishes"
Original Air Date: November 17, 1990

I recently watched this episode, and i just have to say this episode was really great! Moreover, the plot was/is showing us fans that the core of the turtles is their brotherhood, TMNT, in my opinion of course.

The turtles split as a result of Splinters plan to give them a deeper insight in the importance of their sticking together. As a parallel to the appearent dispersal of the turtles, the Rat king and Leatherhead joins forces against the turtles, with their robot rats and alligators, to epic proportions.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I thought it odd how Rat King and Leatherhead collaborated as it was shown their hatred for one another interfering in each other's plans before.Still,it was interesting for them to look past it and see each other as conspirators. It was a stretch for Splinter to draw the duo out by making it known the TMNT had parted ways.

Even odder was the turtles each getting jobs. Now,if they were in disguise I could understand with exception of Raphael inspring Cowabunga Carl not needing one.

Despite the two oddities it was a great episode. A villain team up and a great fight! Also, despite the turtles taking on jobs it was a good character piece IMHO.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I think it was hilarious that all the turtles were able to snag paying jobs in the city.

Only in the old toon, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Even odder was the turtles each getting jobs. Now,if they were in disguise I could understand with exception of Raphael inspring Cowabunga Carl not needing one.
Indeed, the 2k7 movie was a much different take on the "Turtles get jobs" idea. I give Munroe & crew credit for the concept and execution. And I liked how the prequel comics expanded upon the idea.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought this was one of the more violent episodes in the series. Rat King literally almost kills Donatello with a time bomb that blew up his whole shop.

And the fight between Leonardo and Leatherhead was vicious. Leatherhead throws those weights that barely miss Leo and they crash into the wall. Leonardo also kicks the exercise machine straight into LH.

It was a fantastic episode and its the only ep of Season 4 that Leatherhead is actually in. How sad is it that Leatherhead doesn't appear in Seasons 5 and 6 at all?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I thought this was one of the more violent episodes in the series. Rat King literally almost kills Donatello with a time bomb that blew up his whole shop.

And the fight between Leonardo and Leatherhead was vicious. Leatherhead throws those weights that barely miss Leo and they crash into the wall. Leonardo also kicks the exercise machine straight into LH.
Indeed, and I thought that bit where April got chased by the rats up the ladder was more intense than usual for the show.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be honest I think all of Rat Kings episodes in the series are almost consistently excellent. He even made cameos in eps like Pizza by the Shred and Great Boldini.

Rat King seemed to be the writers favorite villain outside of Shredder/Krang. I only wish Leatherhead got as many eps as he did.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Every time I see this episode I can't help but think of that rant by the Nostalgia Critic where he tries to make sense out of Don and Mike having jobs in the CGI film, and he finally bursts out with "TURTLES CAN'T HAVE JOBS!!!"

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Every time I see this episode I can't help but think of that rant by the Nostalgia Critic where he tries to make sense out of Don and Mike having jobs in the CGI film, and he finally bursts out with "TURTLES CAN'T HAVE JOBS!!!"
I always thought the NC was a little high-strung, myself.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

All of NYC was aware of the Turtles existance by the end of Season 1. Throughout Seasons 2, 3 and 4 we constantly see the Turtles recognized by random people on the street, and April talks about them on the news.

Hell, there are many episodes where some business tycoon is drilling through the sewers and they were aware the Turtles lived down there.

The Turtles holding jobs in a city that is aware of them isn't that odd.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Icebot
Foot Elite

I almost didn't recognize the Rat King in that scene where he pretended to be a woman.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Jephael

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Turtles holding jobs in a city that is aware of them isn't that odd.
Yea, but the jobs they got were so mediocre. Why would Donatello get a job at a fix-it shop when he could be hired by MIT? Leonardo should've been employed by a karate dojo, not an average gym. I liked the idea of Raphael being a birthday party entertainer, but they should've given him some kind of snazzy costume. Michaelangelo's TV gig was pretty funny, but we really didn't get to see him in action.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 01-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
pannoni1
Foot Elite

April had a large role in this episode since she becomes the only person who remains fully loyal to Splinter/Turtles and still appreciates the Turtles being solo and tells them to keep in touch. April first suspects the Rat King is disguised right as she enters the Fix-it shop. She also sees Leatherhead spray Donatello with gas and understands that both villains work together in the sewer.

In a way this is the sister episode of "Splinter no more", except that instead of Splinter feeling that he can be human, he feels that simply doesn't need the Turtles. The Turtles aren't as wacko this time around. But even in the lighter view by the public of the Turtles in Season 4, the lack of teamwork still shows the Turtles' weaknesses of being alone, and that results in all of them getting kidnapped and captured alone. Leonardo loses against Leatherhead, Donatello gets tricked by Leatherhead, Raphael gets defeated by the Rat King, and Michelangelo simply gets captured by the Rat King before he knows what's wrong. Thankfully Splinter sensed trouble, saved April from being crushed, and saved the Turtles from the forces of Leatherhead and the Rat King.

I have a couple animation cels/backgrounds from this episode, along with a copy of the script. According to the script, the events of April meeting the Turtles individually occur weeks after the Turtles split up. Overall, a good lesson that tells us that "togetherness" is the most beneficial for the Turtles.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

One thing that I found interesting was when Leonardo was working as a fitness instructor at "Roseanne's Fitness Center", and all of the participants were overweight.

I'm sure that was a humorous pop culture reference at Roseanne Barr and her comedy show since it was the #1 show during the 1989-1990 TV season (tied with "The Bill Cosby Show").
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
April had a large role in this episode since she becomes the only person who remains fully loyal to Splinter/Turtles and still appreciates the Turtles being solo and tells them to keep in touch. April first suspects the Rat King is disguised right as she enters the Fix-it shop. She also sees Leatherhead spray Donatello with gas and understands that both villains work together in the sewer.
Sorry I'm late in this discussion. Watching the new TMNT movie got me revved up to rewatch some of the OS,

I loved April's role in this episode. She does remain very faithful to them all. Plus it's interesting to see her interact with each one individually too.

I didn't understand how all of the sudden Leatherhead and Rat King were now "friends". They were fighting last I saw, in the episode "Leatherhead Meets the Rat King".

Quote:
In a way this is the sister episode of "Splinter no more", except that instead of Splinter feeling that he can be human, he feels that simply doesn't need the Turtles. The Turtles aren't as wacko this time around. But even in the lighter view by the public of the Turtles in Season 4, the lack of teamwork still shows the Turtles' weaknesses of being alone, and that results in all of them getting kidnapped and captured alone. Leonardo loses against Leatherhead, Donatello gets tricked by Leatherhead, Raphael gets defeated by the Rat King, and Michelangelo simply gets captured by the Rat King before he knows what's wrong. Thankfully Splinter sensed trouble, saved April from being crushed, and saved the Turtles from the forces of Leatherhead and the Rat King.
I thought Leonardo held his own pretty well. He only pretend-died and then came and freed the others later. I really liked him in this episode because he shows how he's able to actually function on his own. The 2k3 series had a lot of "loner Leo" too I noticed.

Quote:
I have a couple animation cels/backgrounds from this episode, along with a copy of the script. According to the script, the events of April meeting the Turtles individually occur weeks after the Turtles split up. Overall, a good lesson that tells us that "togetherness" is the most beneficial for the Turtles.
I think I have a cel from this episode too, at my folks' house still. If memory serves, it's where Donatello's in the fix-it shop. I'll know for sure next time I'm home visiting, cuz it's still on my bedroom wall lol!

Last edited by Lisardo; 08-20-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
cryan
Stone Warrior

The Rat King and Leatherhead thing is the old saying: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It was a great episode. The scene were Raph has to say the name of the singing telegram serves was hilarious.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

It was indeed odd for the turtles to get jobs easily without anyone batting an eye. Other than that, it was a pretty good episode with some tense moments. The Rat King always gave the Turtles some hard trouble.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryan View Post
The Rat King and Leatherhead thing is the old saying: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. It was a great episode. The scene were Raph has to say the name of the singing telegram serves was hilarious.
Yeah his singing there always made me laugh. "Hey I just sing 'em, I don't write 'em!"

What gets me about them holding jobs is how they don't wear disguises. Rather they just go as Ninja Turtles.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
Jephael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
What gets me about them holding jobs is how they don't wear disguises. Rather they just go as Ninja Turtles.
You would think people would be worried about the dangers of having them around in public considering the number of enemies they had.

www.jephael.com
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Meh, the public was used to them by now... at least for a few more seasons.

Anyways, I loved this episode!! The season finales were pretty good, for the most part; and this one was no exception. You get the prospect of the Turtles splitting up for good and a major threat from Shre - huh??? Leatherhead and the Rat King?? Waitasec!! Those two hated each other last time!! Oh well, they made good villains here. The Rat King always had great plots and the explosive in the radio was a nice touch even if Leonardo losing his fighting edge was stupid. The ending rocked and also included a throwback to the first encounter with the Rat King. Well done!!!
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Since this is my 2,500th post here on Technodrome, I'd like to share why I really enjoyed this episode. First of all, I could really feel the emotion coming from the leads when our heroes had to go their separate ways. It also had some good humor when they show each turtle trying to make a living. Although Donatello's job was more serious than the other three's. Leatherhead and the Rat King working so well together was a pleasant surprise since their last encounter didn't go well at all. Leonardo coming to save the day is always a highlight for me whenever he does it. The message of how important it is to stay with individuals who are so close to you is very important. Overall, it's one of my favorite episodes.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series