The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

NECA 2017 Collector Set (1988 Throwback)

I have completely re-painted all 8 figures that were in the TMNT NECA 2017 SDCC Exclusive Set. The goal was to resemble the retro classic toy colors from 1988 Playmates TMNT toyline. Sort of a NECA/Playmates fusion lol. Also painted some accessories to blend in with the vintage style. Replaced Shredder's cape with an authentic 1988 Shredder cape and it's a perfect fit. More pictures on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/

Last edited by TurtleManiac; 01-06-2018 at 07:05 PM.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Pretty solid paint job, but Shredders painted shirt looks a bit weird.

I really love how clean the paint looks
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

That's a fantastic job
I seriously dig em
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Marksenad
Foot Soldier

This is amazing! Krang is probably my favorite! Shredder is also awesome!
Marksenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

TurtleManiac can correct me if I'm wrong but shredders' "shirt" is a floating piece that can be removed. So what you're seeing here is the generic torso underneath that floating piece.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
TurtleManiac can correct me if I'm wrong but shredders' "shirt" is a floating piece that can be removed. So what you're seeing here is the generic torso underneath that floating piece.
The shirt is still on the custom figure painted in skin color, the torso under the shirt have a torso articulation.

Shirtless Shredder for reference from another post by TurtleManiac:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
I also took 2 of these NECA figures apart, to set aside for future customs.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 01-07-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:

This. Amazing work, but you should have just removed the shirt entirely. He looks like a wrestling toy.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #8
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Ugh...this set is so good it almost makes me upset. I feel like I'm being violated by own nostalgia right now. This is just a tremendous set up. The paints look spot on. Your work is clean and you clearly took your time with each individual figure. Not a single figure looks shoddy in the group. I'm just floored....absolutely floored. This must have taken you months to work on a project like this.

Well done!
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

If that Krang was removable, I would want it.

Shirtless Shredder will never fail to amuse me, though, no matter what its form. Why did that even happen?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

Thank you all for the kind words, much appreciated!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
This. Amazing work, but you should have just removed the shirt entirely. He looks like a wrestling toy.
Actually Candy Kappa is right, it is the gray shirt that I painted over. My original plan was to use the base figure without the shirt, but the body looked unfinished and would require sculpting, so I decided to put the shirt back on since it made him look muscular, and the cape covers the collar, after painting it I don’t see the shirt anymore. Also the shoulder armor and belt is attached to the shirt, another reason I chose this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
That's a fantastic job
I seriously dig em
Thanks glad you like em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksenad View Post
This is amazing! Krang is probably my favorite! Shredder is also awesome!
Thanks! Yeah Shredder is my favorite as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
Ugh...this set is so good it almost makes me upset. I feel like I'm being violated by own nostalgia right now. This is just a tremendous set up. The paints look spot on. Your work is clean and you clearly took your time with each individual figure. Not a single figure looks shoddy in the group. I'm just floored....absolutely floored. This must have taken you months to work on a project like this.

Well done!
Hey thanks! I appreciate the compliments! Yup nostalgia is the whole reason I wanted to paint these, especially with the vintage style collector case. Actually this took about a month and a half, just worked on it in my spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
If that Krang was removable, I would want it.

Shirtless Shredder will never fail to amuse me, though, no matter what its form. Why did that even happen?
Krang is removable he comes with a tripod roller I just prefer to keep him in the walker. And yes shirtless Shredder is awesome, I too wonder how Playmates came up with that idea.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ah, I thought he was set in place because of his tentacles going through the holes.

I'm also surprised they didn't try to implement that toy in the show somehow.

Like if Krang attempted to send him out to get a Thing of the Episode™ in the middle of laundry day.
"Shredder! The Technodrome is running out of energy! You need to go to this obscure power plant and retrieve -- blast it all, put a shirt on!"
"It's laundry day and someone forgot to put it in with the rest of the load!"

And thus he spent the entire episode making everyone uncomfortable...except for Irma, who would probably be into it.

Look at us x-Maniac named fellows
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post

Hey thanks! I appreciate the compliments! Yup nostalgia is the whole reason I wanted to paint these, especially with the vintage style collector case. Actually this took about a month and a half, just worked on it in my spare time.

Well I think I speak for everyone that I appreciate your resolve and dedication to this project. This looks like it was a true labor of love. If I ask though, what kind of paints did you use for this project? Did this require an air brush? Did you have to do any copious amounts of masking or sanding to preserve the paints around the joints?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
wayneepoo
Random Punk

I can't get over how great the paint jobs on these are! I am no pro at customizing, but I have never been able to paint a figure and have it look that clean. Also love all the vintage toy colors!
wayneepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Ah, I thought he was set in place because of his tentacles going through the holes.

I'm also surprised they didn't try to implement that toy in the show somehow.

Like if Krang attempted to send him out to get a Thing of the Episode™ in the middle of laundry day.
"Shredder! The Technodrome is running out of energy! You need to go to this obscure power plant and retrieve -- blast it all, put a shirt on!"
"It's laundry day and someone forgot to put it in with the rest of the load!"

And thus he spent the entire episode making everyone uncomfortable...except for Irma, who would probably be into it.

Look at us x-Maniac named fellows
Hahaha that would have been hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
Well I think I speak for everyone that I appreciate your resolve and dedication to this project. This looks like it was a true labor of love. If I ask though, what kind of paints did you use for this project? Did this require an air brush? Did you have to do any copious amounts of masking or sanding to preserve the paints around the joints?
I used all acrylic paints mostly Tamiya and Model Masters, and had to mix some of the colors. Nope, didn’t use an airbrush or have to sand anything, just cleaned the figures with a brush and soap before painting. However the only downside to painting these highly articulated figures is that paint rub may occur when moving the joints, so I have to be very careful when posing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
I can't get over how great the paint jobs on these are! I am no pro at customizing, but I have never been able to paint a figure and have it look that clean. Also love all the vintage toy colors!
Thanks for the kind words! It was a fun project for sure.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Okay now I have an important question for you, where is your head at right now? I assume you were one of the folks who was able to snag two of these SDCC sets and that's why you customized one, but now that you've put in all of this effort to make these figures look as vintage as possible--how do you feel about the outcome now that you've had a few days to soak all of this in? Are you glad you did it? Do you still feel like a kid again every time you pick them up? Do you prefer these customs to the original unaltered set? Or do these customs give you a slight case of regret and/or melancholy? (i.e. "You can't go home again")
Old 01-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
p.tom
Thug

Did you remove the Turtles belts and reattached them after the painting was done?
p.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #17
Tartaruhga Muhtante
Foot Soldier

Awesome.

Wow!! Oddly enough you did the inverse way with the Shredder. Until today people (including me) paint with a different color pattern than the Playmates version. The work was very nice. How I wish I had these figures.
Tartaruhga Muhtante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #18
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

beautiful paintwork TurtleManiac!! you really captured the classic playmates look.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #19
mikeyatemypizza
Foot Soldier

I don’t like it. You should have given me that set and painted retro playmates colours on the arcade version lol.
mikeyatemypizza is offline   Reply With Quote