The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Cipher
Foot Elite

Lady Writers on the TMNT

Was there ever a single female writer on the entire Mirage run? On Archie?

As an aside, were there ever any on the TV shows either? Or more than a few?

If not, why?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Venom
Space Knight

Steph Dumais did art on Tales Vol. 2 #41.

There was a short in one of the Tales Vol. 2 issues that was done by students at an art school, one of which was by a girl (was a gamera Raph story).
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Misty Taggart wrote a few episodes of the original toon. Most notable probably being the Tempestra episode.

Jack Mendelson's wife also co-wrote a few eps of the show too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Was there ever a single female writer on the entire Mirage run? On Archie?

As an aside, were there ever any on the TV shows either? Or more than a few?

If not, why?
On the comics, no.

I think there was a woman who wrote a (terrible) episode of Fast Forward. I don't recall any others.

Women have played a veryvery small role in the creative aspect and general operations of the TMNT. It's quite disappointing.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I remember a big deal being made regarding the all-female creative team on the April Microseries from IDW. I wasn't sure why the fact that it was created by women was so noteworthy until... I thought about it.

Yeah, there have been very few female creators for the comics. Like, "count on one hand" levels of few.

I think the biggest female contributor to the Turtle comics has been Mary Kelleher, who lettered a large number of Mirage and Archie books.

But writer or artist? Not many.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Cipher
Foot Elite

Ah, okay, I thought there were a few in the cartoons, but it's still a very small handful.

And I knew about Mary Kelleher, but lettering isn't the same sort of creative position.

I also knew there was one on the short art-school Volume 4 story, but I couldn't remember if she was credited with art or writing. I think the lack of women doing art is one thing, but the lack of writers is especially disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
It's quite disappointing.
Any theories as to why? I know comics has traditionally been a male-dominated field, and still is, but especially during the revolving-door-of-indie-artists era of Mirage, I'm surprised we didn't get one woman writer on the series.

The all-woman team on the April IDW issue, by the way, is news to me. I've fallen way behind on IDW. I'm really, really glad they did that.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder if Bobby sees this thread and decides to have more female writers do the one-shots or mini's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It would only be concerning to me if I believed that there were a lot of female writers over the years sending lots of pitches to Mirage and/or Archie and being told repeatedly, "No thanks" (like, disproportionately to the male writers they would also be saying "No thanks" to).

But I don't think that's the case.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ronda Pattison colors most of the IDW stuff.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It would only be concerning to me if I believed that there were a lot of female writers over the years sending lots of pitches to Mirage and/or Archie and being told repeatedly, "No thanks" (like, disproportionately to the male writers they would also be saying "No thanks" to).

But I don't think that's the case.
Oh, I'm not worried about active sexism on part of the editorial staff (assuming the above scenario didn't happen, of course).

But even if we're not pointing fingers, it's a shame we never got another perspective on either series. Look at how many times April was, frankly, less than a real character. Look at Pimiko's, um, everything. And how many storylines pass the Bechdel test? Like, just "City at War"? Even Shadow and April hardly interact.

Maybe it's not anyone's fault and it's just the way things were at the time (and still are). But we probably missed out as an audience because of it. That's all.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Venom
Space Knight

Wasn't Mirage ran by a woman before Gary Richardson?

I'm unable to crack open a Volume 1 book at the moment, but I remember a lady being on the corporate side.

We had Katie who filled our orders over the years!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Oh, I'm not worried about active sexism on part of the editorial staff (assuming the above scenario didn't happen, of course).

But even if we're not pointing fingers, it's a shame we never got another perspective on either series. Look at how many times April was, frankly, less than a real character. Look at Pimiko's ... everything. And how many storylines pass the Bechdel test? Like, just "City at War"? Even Shadow and April hardly interact.

Maybe it's not anyone's fault and it's just the way things were at the time (and still are). But we probably missed out as an audience because of it. That's all.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of a female's perspective either, but I'm not sure that throwing story arcs at female writers just because they're female and not because they're the most qualified (or even interested) doesn't really seem like the way to go to me in comic books or... or really any field, for that matter.

Worth noting: one of the big rumors that began when IDW TMNT was beginning to churn was that pre-Tom Waltz they'd approached Gail Simone to be the ongoing writer.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Venom
Space Knight

Caitlyn Kittredge would probably do a bang-up job! I've read a couple of things by her and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Gail Simone on the TMNT comic? Well, I have enjoyed several of her comics, and would love to see her give it a shot. She's certainly a good writer.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
Gail Simone on the TMNT comic? Well, I have enjoyed several of her comics, and would love to see her give it a shot. She's certainly a good writer.
I love, love, loved her work on Secret Six. I enjoyed her Wonder Woman run as well but found it a little meandering. Batgirl is OK.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing more of a female's perspective either, but I'm not sure that throwing story arcs at female writers just because they're female and not because they're the most qualified (or even interested) doesn't really seem like the way to go to me in comic books or... or really any field, for that matter.
I'm not suggesting that either. But it wouldn't hurt to throw a little more priority toward getting women involved, if only because no women writers for twenty-five years and April, Renet, Karai and Shadow forming pretty much the entirety of female presence in the series does not a balanced or realistic gender portrayal make.

Quote:
Worth noting: one of the big rumors that began when IDW TMNT was beginning to churn was that pre-Tom Waltz they'd approached Gail Simone to be the ongoing writer.
That would've been interesting. Cool to hear.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that either. But it wouldn't hurt to throw a little more priority toward getting women involved, if only because no women writers for twenty-five years and April, Renet, Karai and Shadow forming pretty much the entirety of female presence in the series does not a balanced or realistic gender portrayal make.
See, to me I don't know that active and interested male writers need to be stonewalled or punished just because no female writers were sending Ninja Turtles pitches in for those 25 years. If anything, it should be editorial that steps in and goes, "Hey, guys, we gotta problem here... let's work on our portrayal of the female characters and take better care in the balance given here" and not "Whoa... we gotta find female writers just because there's never been any! Leave no stone unturned, we need to find one!"
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Ronda Pattison colors most of the IDW stuff.
I was going to say the same thing. She has probably contributed the most as a female to the TMNT as any.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
See, to me I don't know that active and interested male writers need to be stonewalled or punished just because no female writers were sending Ninja Turtles pitches in for those 25 years. If anything, it should be editorial that steps in and goes, "Hey, guys, we gotta problem here... let's work on our portrayal of the female characters and take better care in the balance given here" and not "Whoa... we gotta find female writers just because there's never been any! Leave no stone unturned, we need to find one!"
Well, yeah. That too.

I'm not suggesting IDW go and find binders full of women or anything, or even that Mirage should have. I think it's just something worth talking about.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I'm all for more women in comics, and would like to employ more, but I don't go out of my way to look for them... if they're a good fit, they're a good fit regardless of gender.
April micro was actually a complete coincidence. Marley, I just thought drew a cool April and wanted to work with. Barbara wasn't the first writer attached (I had actually worked with a guy on a proposal for a bit, but it didn't work out). Heather was recommended by Marley! I was happy it worked out that way, but it wasn't really planned out to be so.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gender, idw, mirage