The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-11-2020, 11:41 PM   #41
funatic
Mad Scientist

Has it been explained yet why Hob has done a 180 on mutant rights and gone from freeing to caging them?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:25 AM   #42
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Has it been explained yet why Hob has done a 180 on mutant rights and gone from freeing to caging them?
Probably because how some mutants were animal born. They aren't as intelligent as human born ones.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #43
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Probably because how some mutants were animal born. They aren't as intelligent as human born ones.
... But he started out as a regular cat himself... In fact, his whole attitude was based on the notion of animal cruelty.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #44
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah it used to be the complete opposite. He scorned Bebop & Rocksteady for being human to begin with (and they definetly don’t follow that intelligence theory).
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 AM   #45
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Desperation, probably. The circumstances are much different now.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #46
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Hob's no longer just the angry revolutionary, he fancies himself a leader and that means tough decisions. He's a "Hard man making hard choices" for the survival of Mutants in Mutant Town. A hard situation he's almost entirely responsible for of course but that's neither here nor there. Sacrifices must be made for the good of the Revolution.

On the human vs animal mutant thing, going back to the speech he gave at Slash's funeral I think he's actually eased up, slightly, on the hard line of Humans=always bad, Mutants=always good and is more about bringing down
"The Man" as in Null, human society, etc.

When he threw the bomb that mutated humans he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob, Issue 98
My heart used to tell me you should all DIE. But I've changed my mind about that. No...death's too easy. You need to feel what WE feel first-the pain and terror.
Here's the thing, Bebop and Rocksteady chose to be mutants. So did Null's soldiers. The mutants of Mutant Town didn't, they're experiencing the pain, terror and isolation Hob felt from his body being violated by the mutagen and then shunned as a freak. That's what he wanted to spread.

He probably still harbors a degree of superiority for animal mutants over former humans but he's more willing to work with those who've been 'brought low' and can now see things from his point of view.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of funny this arc introduced a bunch of new mutants like the octopus guy and lemur working for Hob, the porcupine mutant that fought Jennika and the others, the "Road Hogs," Sheena the mutant pig rocker, the mutant kid weasels, Lita another small turtle....and yet Rahzar/Tokka make a bigger impact with one page due to being "classic" characters over new ones.

I guess it's the power of nostalgia, because it goes to prove mutants from the 80's/90's will always have more impact than "new" mutants they create at any later time. Like with the obvious exception of Old Hob and maybe Koya/Bludgeon, it's always been obvious the new mutants IDW has created hasn't made as much impact as when they reinvent classic characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Well... If we're gonna be honest here, most of the new characters just aren't that interesting, of course people are going to be interested in something they're already familiar with if the new guys are kind of boring.
Hahahaha!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #49
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

With Tokka and Rahzer now i will kill the turtles! They cant fight me and Karai and Hun Bebop Rocksteady Toka and Rahzer all the same time,. I will SHRED them! That they iam THE SHREDDER the leader of the foot ninjas!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #50
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's kind of funny this arc introduced a bunch of new mutants like the octopus guy and lemur working for Hob, the porcupine mutant that fought Jennika and the others, the "Road Hogs," Sheena the mutant pig rocker, the mutant kid weasels, Lita another small turtle....and yet Rahzar/Tokka make a bigger impact with one page due to being "classic" characters over new ones.

I guess it's the power of nostalgia, because it goes to prove mutants from the 80's/90's will always have more impact than "new" mutants they create at any later time. Like with the obvious exception of Old Hob and maybe Koya/Bludgeon, it's always been obvious the new mutants IDW has created hasn't made as much impact as when they reinvent classic characters.
It’s entirely nostalgia. At the time, most of us were less into Tokka and Rahzar as we were complaining about not getting Bebop and Rocksteady in the movie. I’d argue Herman the Hermit crab has far more personality than T+R ever did. Not that I’m not thrilled to have them back.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #51
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Just finished reading this issue. It was quite fantastic. That surprise at the end got me excited.

I only hope that their characterisation is improved upon. I hate the overdone dumb villain henchmen trope.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #52
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So we're up to what? 10 mutant turtles now?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #53
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
I only hope that their characterisation is improved upon. I hate the overdone dumb villain henchmen trope.
Speaking of characterisation, upon rereading the issue I love the short beat with Bludgeon and how consistently the character has been depicted since his inception. He does what he does out of loyalty to his clan and because he wants to protect those closest to him (mainly Koya), not caring at all for all the power plays that go on around him. And he's just as content with sweeping floors as he is with fighting. Contrast that with Koya herself, who doesn't have a chip in her shoulder so much as she is a walking chip in the shoulder... Bludgeon bears no particular animosity for the Turtles, not even towards the one who blinded him, and only engages them when told to. Of course, him and Koya pose as much of a threat to the Turtles at this point as the octopus and lemur duo. In a way, they're IDW's actual take on the original cartoon Bebop and Rocksteady: bumbling, inefficient henchmen who are only there to provide the obligatory fight scene but quickly dispatched. And given how much Bludgeon's priorities have in common with the Turtles', it would actually be interesting to see him join up with his former foes and become caretaker at the dojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So we're up to what? 10 mutant turtles now?
Leo, Raph, Mikey, Don, Slash, Slash clone #1, Slash clone #2, Jennika, Lita, Tokka... Yep. Pretty much.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #54
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm very excited about seeing Tokka and Rahzar. I hope they are far more intelligent then what we seen from SOTO. I hope its somewhere along the lines of the FW version. I don't count the 2012 versions as they were in name only.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #55
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I hope its somewhere along the lines of the FW version.
You're hoping they show up like once and then disappear into the aether with barely any explaination for what was going on with them in the first place?
Hahahaha!
Old 11-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #56
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You're hoping they show up like once and then disappear into the aether with barely any explaination for what was going on with them in the first place?
You read that wrong. The FW versions showed them being intelligent.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #57
Allio
Foot Elite

Ah yes my love for zetzubou. Delish.

Just need Mona to go to Donnie and make a mistake.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #58
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I was surprised that the Lemur mutant was female. I guess some mutants don't have any features that makes them feminine. Some due but some of them you can mistake for being a male.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #59
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I was surprised that the Lemur mutant was female. I guess some mutants don't have any features that makes them feminine. Some due but some of them you can mistake for being a male.
I had that same problem with the pig biker Raphael raced. I assumed it was a male mutant until Raphael addressed the Mutant as such.

Razhar and Tokka debuting? I don't know. I mean Karai already has Bebop and Rocksteady and Koya and Bludgeon. Koya even pointed out that they don't really have a role to perform with just the four of them. Also, was Slash a snapping turtle in IDW?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

I admit the scene of Bludgeon mopping the floor smiling made me laugh. This issue was definitely a lot better than the last few. Some great scenes, fun humor, and the Mona Lisa part was actually well done.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote