Mad Scientist

TMNT #112 Preview and Discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Interesting to see the first time their human friends are allowed inside Mutant Town. And first time seeing Casey since issue 100 which was some time ago.

Wonder what's up with the blue salamander/chameleon thing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Interesting to see the first time their human friends are allowed inside Mutant Town. And first time seeing Casey since issue 100 which was some time ago.

Wonder what's up with the blue salamander/chameleon thing.
that's a poison dart tree frog.

well this conversation between donnie and mona is gonna be interesting. i wonder if reincarnation or metalheads gonna come up.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
that's a poison dart tree frog.

well this conversation between donnie and mona is gonna be interesting. i wonder if reincarnation or metalheads gonna come up.
Yeah. I wonder how she will react to Donnie telling her he wasn't born human.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yeah. I wonder how she will react to Donnie telling her he wasn't born human.
Well he was born human the first time around. He was only reborn as a turtle.
But yeah, that's conversation is gonna be whole thing.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i wonder if she's gonna have a mouth agap moment unable to comprehend it all. hell, she'll probably have a marty mcfly episode. "Donnie, you mean to tell me you 4 and your dad were ordinary turtles and a rat that were the reincarnations of a Japanese warrior and his son's that lived hundreds of years ago in feudal japan! This is heavy!"

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
i wonder if she's gonna have a mouth agap moment unable to comprehend it all. hell, she'll probably have a marty mcfly episode. "Donnie, you mean to tell me you 4 and your dad were ordinary turtles and a rat that were the reincarnations of a Japanese warrior and his son's that lived hundreds of years ago in feudal japan! This is heavy!"
And that's before they have to explain Saki to her!

Does anyone else think tree frog dude could be one of Hob's spies?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post

I just hope its not a Punk Frog. I recall it being a faction within Mutant Town in #110. Visually he looks nothing like the four frogs and due to my lack of interest in Mutant Town and the group being a favorite underrated character set I just assume hold off on introducing them.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:

don't forget time travels coming up. i really hope a cameo by the ghostbusters'll happen. had a guy on a 4chan drawthread do this.

Kenny O'Donnell

Old 11-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I just hope its not a Punk Frog. I recall it being a faction within Mutant Town in #110. Visually he looks nothing like the four frogs and due to my lack of interest in Mutant Town and the group being a favorite underrated character set I just assume hold off on introducing them.
Technically the Punk Frogs have already appeared having had a cameo in the second Ghostbusters crossover.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #11
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Hey, poison dart frog!

I don’t want to make judgments about the issue before it comes out, so I’ll speak generally and say I do like in theory the idea of the turtles taking a leadership role in Mutant Town.

So I’m interested in the Mona Don conversation, not just because I’m weirdly down with them dating both from a character standpoint and enjoying petty fan complaints, heh. How does Don explain all that to her in a way she would actually believe him? I could see him just leaving the reincarnation angle off entirely, given he was a skeptic about it anyway. Of course that reincarnation angle does bring up the question of whether other animals mutants have human souls or how reincarnation works in the TMNT IDW verse...

Warning! Rambling diversion: The tension between animal born and human born mutants is actually something I find interesting. On one hand, human borns might seem privileged, have resources and lives, and more easily able to claim rights as citizens vs mutants who might still be classified as pets or property, and lack things like birth certificates etc (I know, all the exciting stuff but the resulting tension could make for good conflict). On the other hand, animal mutants might feel less attachment to human society, or conversely feel more gratitude at being given intelligence, hands, etc. Human borns have had their identity, families, hopes and dreams for the future ripped from them, it’s a totally different situation.

All these tensions and issues I think make for interesting character interactions. Wait...is this going to have Mona be super awkward with relation to Don when she finds out he was born as a turtle and then come around that she was having similar prejudices as her parents? Hmmm...well we’ll see.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 11-25-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

It seems kind of odd that Mona would ask Donatello about Splinter. In all the time they have been in Mutant Town together she never asked why they are called the Splinter Clan or ran the Splinter dojo? Jennika would have probably brought up that she knew the Turtles because she worked with Splinter when she was in the Foot.

I'm interested to see Mona's story thread - her parents shunning her etc. It's not like anything I think I've seen in TMNT and kinda feels more like an X-men subplot. I'm all for it but it feels like the phone call with them would have happened months before she met the turtles. I guess she's just a victim of pacing.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

So I had a thought: what if Mona Lisa being told about the Turtles' reincarnation and the questions someone as bright as her is bound to raise about that is what motivates Donnie to reexamine the dichotomy between science and mysticism, and finally takes us back around to that bizarre epilogue in #50 and its implications? Especially now that we're apparently going back to Utrom territory as early as next year, as per a recent Ninja Notes.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
So I had a thought: what if Mona Lisa being told about the Turtles' reincarnation and the questions someone as bright as her is bound to raise about that is what motivates Donnie to reexamine the dichotomy between science and mysticism, and finally takes us back around to that bizarre epilogue in #50 and its implications? Especially now that we're apparently going back to Utrom territory as early as next year, as per a recent Ninja Notes.
Yes, we were teased at issue #50 and here we are over sixty issues later. Its a curious bit that I wonder if it will ever be touched upon. It won't hurt to ask Bobby in the Ask The Editor thread.

Another item I was curious about, all the way back in 2016's Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything we see Slash loose in 1490 Florence before he ever was freed from StockGen thus does not have the ooze. Could this minor bit come back around? So Slash is still out there.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Another item I was curious about, all the way back in 2016's Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything we see Slash loose in 1490 Florence before he ever was freed from StockGen thus does not have the ooze. Could this minor bit come back around? So Slash is still out there.
I think it was mentioned in Hit the Road that all the time-displaced mutants were destroyed by the same guys that were hunting down Bebop and Rocksteady.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think it was mentioned in Hit the Road that all the time-displaced mutants were destroyed by the same guys that were hunting down Bebop and Rocksteady.
That sounds right, although a Slash vs. Tokka brawl would be sweet.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Slash is done.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
That sounds right, although a Slash vs. Tokka brawl would be sweet.
Let's wait and see how Tokka handles in a fight first. What if we're in for a twist where Tokka and Rahzar look tremendously fierce but are actually harmless as a callback to SotO...?

Quote:
Slash is done.
Much as it pains me, I'll have to agree. For now, anyway. Saki and Krang were done too at one point.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

We've never seen Mutagen Man since after issue 100 right? I know we've seen Ray and Herman still with Hob. Sally is with the main cast, I can't remember if Mondo appeared or not. But Mutagen Man is nowhere to be found.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
We've never seen Mutagen Man since after issue 100 right? I know we've seen Ray and Herman still with Hob. Sally is with the main cast, I can't remember if Mondo appeared or not. But Mutagen Man is nowhere to be found.
Nope. Was it ever even revealed which faction of the OG Mutanimals he sided with?