The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Are TMNT fans rude? Or is perception skewed?

I've noticed from interacting with people here as well as on other boards that TMNT fans are rude. But are they more rude than the general population? I don't really belong to or participate in forums or mailing lists for anything else, so it could be that all groups of people are rude, and I shouldn't necessarily be racist against my own fandom.

Thoughts? Discuss.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

People on the internet are dicks. Film at 11.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

I think all forums have their mix, although I will concede this forum is one of the ruder ones I frequent.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

What the fvck kinda question is that? Like hell we're rude!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

We are a bunch of cynical assholes.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's basically because this forum is a lot smaller than other forums, so people basically read the same posts from the same group of people over and over again. Since it's the same people posting over and over again, those opinions feel like they skew the overall forums.

People don't realize this forum is very small. There are maybe 50 active users in this place at most, and only roughly half of that post frequently. Then there are some people who just post rarely like once a month or so and then disappear without a trace.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What the fvck kinda question is that? Like hell we're rude!
I lol'ed at this! You're such a card, Cy.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception. There's a lot of My Version Is Better Than Your Version in our fandom, I think that causes the bulk of the tension.

But most fandoms have in-fighting. It takes a certain kinda person to obsess over fictional works, which is to say we're all probably a little "off" in one way or another. Some more than others.

I don't think we're nearly as bad as non/former members paint us to be, though. Part of our reputation is fault of a vocal minority who came here & were shown the door for being either an idiot or a jerk, & then hopped over to TMNT fan-pages on Facebook to cry about how awful we are.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's true, TMNT fans are horrid.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've seen worse. Mostly just seems like a bunch of snarky old farts (and youngsters that aspire to be) in comparison. Those that have seemed genuinely mean have been few, imo.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's not really indicative of age. The fans have been horrible even since I was a kid. At least nowadays there's far less % that actively fantasize about having sex with the Turtles.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

There are rude people everywhere on the Internet and that doesn't just apply to TMNT I'm sure. Everyone is an a**hole at times and we should just embrace it like my sig says.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

I'd say probably no more than any other fan base, and in actuality probably less than some. I've never seen a grown man cry or scream when someone has told him that they don't care about Ninja Turtles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception.
You've gotten better though!

Quote:
It takes a certain kinda person to obsess over fictional works, which is to say we're all probably a little "off" in one way or another. Some more than others.
I've gotten crap for, and a lot of it here, not obsessing enough. I'm like "it's fiction, it's fun, it's entertaining, but it's not integrally important". And then I get the "you're not a real fan" BS.

Quote:
I don't think we're nearly as bad as non/former members paint us to be, though. Part of our reputation is fault of a vocal minority who came here & were shown the door for being either an idiot or a jerk, & then hopped over to TMNT fan-pages on Facebook to cry about how awful we are.
Few people are less bothersome than those who break the rules and then play the victim when they're reprimanded.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

You said the same thing I was going to say. I'd like to think I've grown up some since I joined Andrew's old mailing list [NTML] ten years ago. I originally became active here because I was banned from an even smaller forum where people were even bigger assholes. The owner of those boards has held a grudge against me to this day (since my early twenties, for over ten years) and refuses to be civil even though we share one of the same best friends.

It could also be that I see the worst in TMNT fans because I deal with buying and selling whereas a fan who doesn't deal with that angle of the fandom doesn't have that Pandora's Box to deal with as well. I occasionally have problems with people here, but for the most part, the most snobbish, elitist, self-absorbed self-entitled f**** I deal with are on eBay. I won't deny that I think most of you are assholes, but most of you are also respectful and reasonable people in a one on one context.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's not really indicative of age. The fans have been horrible even since I was a kid. At least nowadays there's far less % that actively fantasize about having sex with the Turtles.
How many kids were even fantasizing that?? I don't recall it being a thing long ago. o.O (Unless this is something that happened during my long hiatus, and less long ago.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
You said the same thing I was going to say. I'd like to think I've grown up some since I joined Andrew's old mailing list [NTML] ten years ago. I originally became active here because I was banned from an even smaller forum where people were even bigger assholes.
Was it TMNT-L? Do people still go there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
How many kids were even fantasizing that?? I don't recall it being a thing long ago. o.O (Unless this is something that happened during my long hiatus, and less long ago.)
Tons. It was everywhere.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think people fail to understand that a lot of people also have mental disabilities in real life like ADD or bipolar disorder, or are diagnosed with autism or aspergers, and they get frustrated on forums sometimes when people have conflicting opinions.

It's a well know fact most people on line forums are diagnosed with some sort of disability in real life.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #19
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I try to be the best TMNT fan that I can be, and make sure to be rude to you assholes as often as possible.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

Most of the real assholes are banned/moved on. We really only have a couple of pesky trolls, and they're not out of control or anything.

Quote:
A sizable chunk of TMNT fans are assholes, yeah. I'm no exception. There's a lot of My Version Is Better Than Your Version in our fandom, I think that causes the bulk of the tension.
Yeah, the fact that this is a catch-all TMNT is part of it. You're like me, in that you enjoy most of the different iterations for what they are, so it's cool that this isn't just a Mirage/Fred Wolf/Nick board. But when people get uppity about their favorite version, it's annoying no matter what side they're on.

Unless they're hating on Bayturtles, then it's fair game. A cynical, hollow, kick in the crotch to TMNT.

But it's funny when I go to, say, a Marvel Cinematic Universe board. That's all people talk about. There's no clowns raging on about how the comics are SO much better, or how Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is the true version of Marvel lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They don't come here, but they're still out there.

I pulled up an episode of the Nick cartoon on youtube today to reference some dialogue, quicker than putting the dvd in. I found the comments to be littered with people fighting over Leo, fawning over Donnie, etc.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drome drama vol.99