The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #661
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
I hate to defend a scalper, but neither of us know his situation. How do you know hes not a quadriplegic war veteran and cant get a job? Extreme example, I know but do not assume everyone can go out and "get a real job". I do not know if hes in a disability situation at all, but what I do know is that attacking someone's chosen profession is not cool. You can say what you want about his prices and him being a braggart all you want, but please realize that there are many small toy dealers and store owners that are living with life long disabilities that a toy company can bring both joy and a living wage for. If you have ever been to a toy convention at all, or even Comic Con, how many people do you see that have clear disabilities, or when you talk to them you realize they have clear mental disabilities. This is the community that toy collectors are apart of. Many of us are broken...

This subject is particularly close to my heart, all I ask is that you try to consider other reasons...
Scalpers wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the collectors that have more money than willpower. No one forces fans to purchase from a scalper. It’s just the collector at the bottom of the totem pole gets bummed out the game when scalpers and financially stable fans dance. Unfortunate reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
Let's say your extreme case was the case. Still gives no right to brag openly on how much money their making off the fans here. I can't and won't sympathize with that at all.
Actually a sad life when you think about it. The only thing someone has to boast about is making a few bucks off of a collectible. Like nothing else is going well in the persons life that makes them feel good. Sad.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #662
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
Let's say your extreme case was the case. Still gives no right to brag openly on how much money their making off the fans here. I can't and won't sympathize with that at all.
I feel like you read my post, but didn't listen to the words.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #663
ProdUK
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
I was thinking about this earlier, will the SDCC 2017 or the Mirage Villains come up on the china bootleg market?, might be the only affordable way I can get those awesome 80s cartoon ones.
The mirage villains are on the bootleg market. Was hoping for the SDCC 2017 to show up.
ProdUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #664
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdUK View Post
The mirage villains are on the bootleg market. Was hoping for the SDCC 2017 to show up.
I would love some mirage villians...link?

I grabbed 2 Diorama sets, and I was really considering keeping both, but when they arrive I might have to let mine go to someone that couldn't snag one. I am not sure I need to store more toys. 1 set will be displayed FOR A FACT, but what would I honestly do with the second one. I am thinking about it I guess...

Old 06-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #665
Filespit
Hench Mutant

I'll re-post, I'm an international buyer and would like to get my hands on a set (with or without the diorama). If anyone has a "spare" they'd like to get rid off let me know. Not interested in overpaying, I'm just another collector asking for a helping hand.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #666
ProdUK
Thug

Quote:
I would love some mirage villians...link?

I grabbed 2 Diorama sets, and I was really considering keeping both, but when they arrive I might have to let mine go to someone that couldn't snag one. I am not sure I need to store more toys. 1 set will be displayed FOR A FACT, but what would I honestly do with the second one. I am thinking about it I guess...

Mirage Villains
ProdUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #667
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I got a dio set without dealing with scalpers, huzzah!
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #668
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I hate to defend a scalper, but neither of us know his situation. How do you know hes not a quadriplegic war veteran and cant get a job? Extreme example, I know but do not assume everyone can go out and "get a real job". I do not know if hes in a disability situation at all, but what I do know is that attacking someone's chosen profession is not cool. You can say what you want about his prices and him being a braggart all you want, but please realize that there are many small toy dealers and store owners that are living with life long disabilities that a toy company can bring both joy and a living wage for. If you have ever been to a toy convention at all, or even Comic Con, how many people do you see that have clear disabilities, or when you talk to them you realize they have clear mental disabilities. This is the community that toy collectors are apart of. Many of us are broken...

This subject is particularly close to my heart, all I ask is that you try to consider other reasons...
even if that was true. i still dont see why we gotta support him and supply his income. if this is his only source of income, and he is disabled he should apply for government assistance and if he get denied then he is able to work and supply his own income. either way price gouging on collectibles is not a dependable source of income

we all work for our money
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #669
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

If anyone has an extra I can buy, I'd appreciate.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #670
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
even if that was true. i still dont see why we gotta support him and supply his income. if this is his only source of income, and he is disabled he should apply for government assistance and if he get denied then he is able to work and supply his own income. either way price gouging on collectibles is not a dependable source of income

we all work for our money
Again I think you might have missed what I am saying. Dont bag on the guy JUST cause its his only source of income and "go get another job"-other than that do what you want.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #671
Ginrai
Random Punk

Tried for 2 days to get either one...today i snagged one basic set and went right to check out. Very grateful....if that diorama backdrop becomes a thing on its own, ill grab that.

I can only imagine next year would (hopefully) be a Shredder (maybe tatsu?) and foot ninjas movie set.
Ginrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #672
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Right now I'm feeling pretty bummed. Tried for 3 days to get a set and despite what seems doing the most effective and efficient ways of getting an order in, have ended up empty handed.

Then you think of the probably few scalpers that managed to get 4 or 6 sets. Perhaps the odd fan that got an extra set 'just in case'. It makes you think...maybe those extra few sets that weren't needed, maybe those were the sets that would have enabled me to grab one?

Who knows. All you guys who got a set who actually wanted one - congrats. It's the set that many of us dreamed of for 28 years. I guess some of us will have to keep on waiting.

All I can hope for is that NECA pull a few sets back that they can prove were obtained against the rules and put them back on sale. Even then, it's probably slim pickings.

Good night from a very down trodden and dis-heartened TMNT fan.
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #673
sleeplessknight
Thug

Patience is a virtue that will be rewarded. They produced many more sets this year compared to previous exclusives. BBTS managed to get some sets after SDCC last year and I'm sure they'll pop up there again this year. On the secondary market, the price might be high now because it's fresh in everyone's mind but I'm sure the price will come down once it's revealed how common these actually are.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #674
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Yep. Every year it is the same story, on most SDCC items. NECA at least gives us a chance to get them before the con for the same price as everyone else. Most exclusives are not that way, the only way non-con-goers can get them is eBay.

But that story is this...high prices, then low prices when a bunch are leftover and cooler heads drive the market price down...and then, eventually, as in a year or more later, a return to scarcity that brings the price back up.

Which is actually the same cycle that just about every major retail toy goes through too. "Ermagrd, Hasbro legends that nobody else has yet, must be worth $80 each!...oh now they are everywhere...$20 each...oh now they are still everywhere...$10 each clearance...oh now they are finally gone and you can only get them from someone who wants to sell them...$50 each!"

Settle down peeps. Would you be surprised to know that I have seen the NECA TMNT exclusives from the past few years all reach a point post-con where you could actually score one for less than the MSRP every once in awhile? Because I have.

7,000 total figure sets is a huge number. It sounds small but it really is huge. In the echo chamber it sounds like lots of people want these things, but in real life the cross section of hardcore TMMT fans who will shell out that much for toys AND who are plugged in enough to even know about this yet is smaller than you think. I actually think NECA is gonna come to regret manufacturing that many. I won't be surprised if many of this week's "losers" end up the winners by getting some for less than I paid.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #675
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Again I think you might have missed what I am saying. Dont bag on the guy JUST cause its his only source of income and "go get another job"-other than that do what you want.
I'm sorry, explain all you want I read your posts and I get what you are saying but I will not sympathize with someone bragging about scoring 5 sets when many here didn't even get one. I barely got my one set on the 6th

Last edited by go_ninja84; 06-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #676
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
Right now I'm feeling pretty bummed. Tried for 3 days to get a set and despite what seems doing the most effective and efficient ways of getting an order in, have ended up empty handed.

Then you think of the probably few scalpers that managed to get 4 or 6 sets. Perhaps the odd fan that got an extra set 'just in case'. It makes you think...maybe those extra few sets that weren't needed, maybe those were the sets that would have enabled me to grab one?

Who knows. All you guys who got a set who actually wanted one - congrats. It's the set that many of us dreamed of for 28 years. I guess some of us will have to keep on waiting.

All I can hope for is that NECA pull a few sets back that they can prove were obtained against the rules and put them back on sale. Even then, it's probably slim pickings.

Good night from a very down trodden and dis-heartened TMNT fan.
I hate to burst your bubble, but these neca store presales were not available to anyone who live outside the united states.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #677
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but these neca store presales were not available to anyone who live outside the united states.
Doubt there's any bubble to burts if he tried to get a set he probably had a way to get it shipped to him.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #678
Vundi
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
He offered me $100 shipped and then insisted he confused the price with the price of another set. Don't bother with him.

Yes, that's my listing, I increased the price after the first pre-sale because I was getting offers for $220 to $250 and having to reject them because I haven't gotten any standard sets yet and I was worried someone would actually use the BIN price to purchase it, so I increased the buy it now price to prevent that from happening.
So he lowballs you on the figures and you say don't mess with him, you overcharge a ridiculous amount...so by your logic, no one should "mess" with you either.
Vundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #679
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
See, everyone today either:

1. Got screwed over by buffering shipping and didn't get one
2. Already had it in their cart from prior days and got one

The system is so screwed up.
Or option 3 - neither

The first two days, I screwed up in the worst way by falling asleep while waiting for the sale to begin. Both days I woke up around fifteen minutes after the sale began. It was long sold out by then. After the second day, I decided to get myself into the system as much as I could by 'ordering' another item on the site and filling in the information as if I was purchasing it. Then I purposely backed out of it to wait for what I was really after the next day.

After I found out that they completely took the listing off the site later on the 7th, then I knew I had to start from scratch. On the 8th, I logged onto the site around ten minutes before the sale, ran a few tests with another product and then waited for the sale to begin. Then with two minutes to go, I began refreshing the page continuously until the set of Turtles popped up. Then it was go-time.

Autofill really saved me on this one and I managed to score a set, but the waiting period between the 'line' deal and the 'shipping' method was complete agony. It was 20 seconds or so and you couldn't do anything but just wait it out and hope it sorted through everything in time. It did and I managed to get the one set (could only afford to get one this time). Third time was the charm, but really it was my first attempt at trying to beat the system. It was all based on luck and timing. I did not expect to succeed after knowing what I was up against.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #680
mexichrist83
Hench Mutant

Third try was a charm! I still can't believe that I managed to snag a set of the figure set especially considering that this is my very first time trying to get an online SDCC exclusive and these are like the holy grail of TMNT action figures for me personally. I was less nervous and shakey this time around mostly because I was already preparing myself for the highly possible outcome of not getting a set but I started refreshing close to sale time and as soon as the set popped up I went through the same process. Luckily, the wait in line and shipping loading wasn't as long. Even though I tried to save my card information minutes prior to the sale I still had to enter my CC, expiration date, CVV and card holder name (all on my iPhone mind you). Having my card number already copied from a note app on my phone and having my expiration date and CVV memorized was a big help.

I can't even begin to describe my disbelief and immediate relief and elation seeing that Thank you/Order Confirmed screen and then seeing the text message and email notifications from my phone confirming my order immediately after. If I wasn't at work in a break room full of people I probably would have jumped up and cheered but I was also still just kind of sitting there with my mouth wide open shocked that I was actually fast enough to successfully order a set despite having to fill in some info manually after two previous days of failure.

I'm so sorry to those of you who couldn't get a set during the last few days and I really hope you all can find a way to get a set of your own. I've learned from this forum how brutal getting some of these exclusives can be in the past and I hope I never have to experience the anxiety that this caused for three days ever again.....unless they ever release 7" movie figures of Shredder, the foot, Splinter, or Casey Jones haha! Also, thanks to the members who posted some tips and tricks on making the checkout process quicker and easier. NECA really needs to do something about their site because the waiting in line, shipping loading and expired saved payment information issues are ridiculous BS and I have never experienced anything like that making online purchases. I know things like that really screwed a lot of people out of their sets (myself included).

Last edited by mexichrist83; 06-09-2018 at 01:31 AM.
mexichrist83 is offline   Reply With Quote