The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant

IF a Sequel to TMNT: Smashup was made...

What Changes/Improvements you'd like to see?
-More responsive controls... Turning around is a pain in the shell... Also many of the moves don't respond well. (Sometimes you try to do a tap d-pad + attack button and it does the Hold the d-pad + attack...)
-The ability to crouch.
-Being able to use "ninja powers" in mid-air.
-Better TMNT Multiverse Representation. (Logo, Technodrome stage on Wii and the "OT" Turtles on the Ubisoft Logo is not representing the multiverse.)
Speaking of "OT" TMNT that would've made an easier 2nd pallette for the TMNT instead of the weird WTF 2nd outfits that I still haven't unlocked...
The Western Stage comes from the Rabbids!? and 3 Rabbids!? WTF!? Couldn't they just use Sam Fisher or The Prince of Persia instead!? Or Better yet Rocksteady and Bebop. Rocksteady and Bebop should appear on the Sequel, along with Hun, a Triceraton, Tokka, Rhazar, etc.
-An adventure mode Like SSBM. (including npc enemies like Mousers, etc.)
-An Aracde mode that you can use ALL of the characters... I like Using Shredder but I can only use him in survival or VS...
-More skins/pallette swaps available. There were too many characters wearing black. Casey's default should've been his alternate. (Having two available from the start and unlocking two more during the game.)
Examples of Alt palletes/skins
TMNT:
Normal, OT, Mirage B&W, Bandit style Bandanas
Splinter: Normal, SmashUp 2nd pallette, OT, Live Action Movie
April: Normal, OT, 2k3, SmashUp mini comic style.
Casey: both smashup skins, OT, Live Action movie style.
Shredder: 2k3, Cyber Shredder, Mirage (Pink), Supaa Shredder
Utrominator: Normal, "Krang" palette.
Foot Ninja: Normal, Cyber Foot Ninja, OT Foot Ninja, Live Action Foot Ninja.
-More Stages (If they add more TMNT Related Stages better.)
-DON'T WASTE CHARACTER SLOTS ON MULTIPLE RABBIDS They already wasted 3 slots on them... I don't need to see Cowabunga Rabbid, the pricne of Rabbids, or UtromiRabbid...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

The controls work perfectly fine. Everything else you mentioned is spot-on, though. It would be nice if they made a sequel based on Turtles Forever.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
TMNTbrotha65
Random Punk

There should be an arcade mode AND a story mode for the sequel. i've got some ideas they could use for the story mode but of course they would never be recognized lol
TMNTbrotha65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
MaC
Random Punk

I would make it a straight clone of Smash Bros. From controls to the method of KO to the camera. Dump everything for this one and give me the Smash Engine with Turtle characters.

I would also like comic versions of the characters. Example, Shredder. Use whatever Shredder you want, but then make a Comic version. Like how in Smash Bros Bowser and Gannondorf are basically the same, but different enough to play differently.
MaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
The controls work perfectly fine. Everything else you mentioned is spot-on, though. It would be nice if they made a sequel based on Turtles Forever.
umm nahhhhhh

the controls are horrible dude!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
MrDizzyDEE
Foot Soldier

Yeah, cuz that turning around is getting me killed. If they fix that and the ducking, it'll be better.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Peanut
Second Gear

...we'd know Hell had frozen over.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant

Yes Peanut, I get it... it seems you hate the game. Out of curiosity what would you suggest as improvements for a sequel. (Other than having the game made by far more capable hands.)
Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Peanut
Second Gear

Not lying directly to the fan base about the content would be a good start.

After that, they can try making it control worth a damn. An entire scrapping of everything the god awful CG movie brought to the table would also be a wise choice.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant

Thanks. BTW I agree with your points. On the good side we didn't get Winters and the Stone Generals...

This game had so much potential (Members of Team Ninja and the SSB team working together. Characters from the TMNT Universe...), yet as of now it feels like a beta version or a demo... with rabbids.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_ock_4mugen View Post
Thanks. BTW I agree with your points. On the good side we didn't get Winters and the Stone Generals...
Stone Generals would have been preferable to the Rabbids (and a few of the other characters that made it), but if you're going to create a game that supposably isn't based on any particular TMNT, they shouldn't have used a visual style so closely associated with the CGI movie.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

I guess what it balls down to is laziness.. as dragon turtle said "they shouldn't have used a visual style so closely associated with the CGI movie"- they probably figured, hey! these are already 3d, it'll translate well! (aka 'we dont have to spend time designing a look for the turtles in this game that would ultimately be a selling point because we dont give a ****!') Also, yeah thank god theres no stone generals, yet as mentioned they deffinately would've been a better (though still not favorable) alternative to the rabbids. Is a dying franchise really such a good outlet to promote a wack ass game like that? It surely does play like a BETA version and lord i wish it was, the controls cause me innevitable death at times and normally im a beast at these types of games. oh well. this is the same drama happening in the other smash thread. What can i contribute to this? well this.. it seems OT oriented works are a pain in the ass due to rights owned/shared/whatever by fred wolf.. okay, thats just likenessess. We shouldve seen OT characters remodeled to the style of the archie comics, that would've been great. Unlockables shoudlve been characters unheard of to fans who arent too heavily into tmnt (such as ninjara) or tie in characters like cerebus/usagi. Obviously old school dudes like triceratons and leatherhead would be a must aswell.. Levels should be larger, i like the interactiveness of them, but there somewhat small compared to the depth seen in smash bros. i will however say that aside from the minigames i do love the soundtrack, thats one thing that didnt fail in my eyes. Alternative costumes.. should have more then one and should range from comic, to OT, to NT, to TMNT. An ACTUAL arcade mode.. would it really have been so hard to include? im ranting but **** it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
The controls work perfectly fine.
Ah, so being unable to jump or turn around at random intervals was actually all part of the plan... wait, actually, that's even worse than if it had just been a f*** up!

But, ya, outside of the fact that the game randomly decides to ignore input from the controller at the worst possible time, it also feels stiff and picky when trying to do certain things (like falling through a floor or dash) while being ridiculously sensitive to other things (such as diving mid-jump).

In some games, saying "the controls weren't working" while losing in a game is just seen as a lame excuse to blame your ineptitude on. In this game... it's actually a fairly legitimate reason for more than half the losses a player experiences.

And really... what was the point of not including a crouching motion? UbiSoft may try to BS and say it adds more strategy, but come on. You know that's not true.

So, ya, it's not a horrible game, but it's far from being even so much as a good game, and that's all thanks to the controls. This isn't even taking into account the deceptive marketing and small, 2k7 heavy roster. There's potential with what they have, but it was executed horribly. This game feels rushed and incomplete no matter how you look at it.

I don't think a sequel will ever be made, much less a sequel that does things right. If somehow UbiSoft did make a sequel... I'd be wary of whether or not they'd actually be, ya know, TRYING this time.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Tazi
Mad Scientist

There are two things what Ubisoft should do with a not very possible a sequel:

- Better quality fan service. If you look at each franchise form separatedly, people wanted to see characters like Bebop, Rocksteady, Ray Fillet, Armaggon, Complete Carnage, Radical, etc. instead we got a generic foot ninja, a second Raphael character, some others which should be replaced with more interesting characters, and 3 stupid ubisoft mascots, of course.

- Different visual style. Something between Jim Lawson's and the 2k3 cartoon's wouldn't be bad. Seriously, noone like's the movie's style that much. Some stylised cel shade which would make the model's darker colors look like it was drawn with ink lines could work.

...sadly, it will never happen.
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
Ah, so being unable to jump or turn around at random intervals was actually all part of the plan... wait, actually, that's even worse than if it had just been a f*** up!

But, ya, outside of the fact that the game randomly decides to ignore input from the controller at the worst possible time, it also feels stiff and picky when trying to do certain things (like falling through a floor or dash) while being ridiculously sensitive to other things (such as diving mid-jump).

In some games, saying "the controls weren't working" while losing in a game is just seen as a lame excuse to blame your ineptitude on. In this game... it's actually a fairly legitimate reason for more than half the losses a player experiences.
I can honestly say I've never had any of those problems.

EDIT: With regard to turning "around at random intervals," I hope you guys realize that most characters have at least one move that turns your opponent around a la Mario's cape in SSB. I'm not sure if that's what people are talking about, but that may be responsible for part of the confusion.

Last edited by The Shelf; 10-06-2009 at 11:06 AM.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm with Shelf. The controls aren't perfect, and could use some fine-tuning, but I've never had any of the problems described here.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Well, the problem I usually have is that sometimes I'll try to turn around or jump, but the character won't do it until the third of fourth attempt. It's aggravating how sometimes the character won't listen to directional input and I don't have this problem with any other game, so I know it's not my controller.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #18
Ninjinister
無問題

I actually had these same problems the other night - with the Wiimote. If I use the Gamecube controller, I don't.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

We have much a chance of a sequel to Smash-Up as Tournament Fighters had with a sequel. Maybe when the 2010 movie comes up, they'll give it another shot, unless Konami gets it back.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
MrDizzyDEE
Foot Soldier

I would love for Konami to snatch this up!! They did so much for the ninja turtles, I'm sure they wouldn't fudge it up like Ubicrap did.