The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #161
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think it's obvious the only reason TMNT happened is because the DC/TMNT crossovers from IDW sold so well. Those were the first official TMNT crossovers with DC, and it went so well they have a sequel coming out next year.

So it carried over to the videogames. I wouldn't be surprised if WB are the ones who suggested to Ed Boon and Netherrealm studios to use the TMNT.
This obviosly, and I really hope they see this as an oportunity to study if the TMNT property is worth anything to hopefully create a TMNT gaming equivalent of the Arkham series, not exactly in style but more in moving the IP away from mediocrity and into a best selling gaming franchise.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #162
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
So it carried over to the videogames. I wouldn't be surprised if WB are the ones who suggested to Ed Boon and Netherrealm studios to use the TMNT.
Most likely.
Former sound designer of NRS, said in interview, that guest characters are specifically chosen by WB.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #163
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's funny, as a kid I always wanted the TMNT to crossover with Batman but I knew it would never happen in a million years. At the time I didn't understand superheroes or comics were all owned by different companies, and thus it was unlikely for shows to crossover unless they were owned by the same IP holder.

Who would have thought 20+ years later the TMNT would have three official crossovers with Batman in comics, and now appear in a DC videogame. Even just a few years ago saying such a thing would have been laughable and you'd have people tell you to stop reading crappy fanfiction.

I guess it's true what they say, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Or good things come to those who wait. Or sometimes wishes do come true. What goes around comes around.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #164
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Apparently the Justice League Power Rangers crossover didn't sell very well, maybe if it had we'd gotten Power Rangers intead
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #165
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Since Injustice 2 did sell a lot and doesn't really need the sales, I am hoping that the Turtles will move units and NetherRealm realizes it was a good idea
Well, I ended up picking up the game because of the announcement as well ... so hopefully they see an increase of sales following the trailer drop for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The leprechaun from the Leprechaun movies would be hilarious
Holy crap ... that would be incredible.

I'm wondering since there was such a desire for Spawn that he may end up in the next Mortal Kombat? I'd be cool with him either in Injustice or MK, but honestly I love the idea that horror franchise characters are the ones that show up in the MK universe.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #166
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I may get it eventually, but don't know for what system, since i own both a PS4 and Xbox One.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #167
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Fighter Pack 3 is finally available for pre-order it looks like! Atom is available now, so guess we're still getting Enchantress in January with TMNT in February.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #168
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still don't know how the Turtles play. Since they're all in the same character slot, do you switch between the 4? Their different weapons would be different fighting styles, but how much is different?

We really need a trailer showing how this works.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #169
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I still don't know how the Turtles play. Since they're all in the same character slot, do you switch between the 4? Their different weapons would be different fighting styles, but how much is different?

We really need a trailer showing how this works.
I suspect the trailer won't drop until January.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #170
Ninjinister
無問題

Atom just came out on Tuesday for Season Pass holders and will (I believe) be out next Tuesday.

I know we're all excited but ya need to chill. They haven't even shown Enchantress gameplay yet and I'm almost 100% sure she'll be out before the Turtles.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #171
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Atom just came out on Tuesday for Season Pass holders and will (I believe) be out next Tuesday.

I know we're all excited but ya need to chill. They haven't even shown Enchantress gameplay yet and I'm almost 100% sure she'll be out before the Turtles.
Well I actually ordered the Fighter Pack 3 on Tuesday when it was released in the Playstation Store and I've been playing as him a lot this week ... maybe it's different for XBOX or PC?

Like Sumac said ... I'm sure a TMNT play-through trailer will drop in January after Enchantress's release.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #172
CyberCubed
Overlord

$19.99 just for a fighter pack, goddamn. It's gotten to the point where DLC overall for all the additional fighters costs more than the main game. The full game costs $89.99 with all DLC included...wtf.

I miss the days when bonus characters were unlockable in-game for completing a story mode, higher difficulties, or some sort of challenge. Why back in my day you bought a game and you got all the characters, and you unlocked the rest either with cheat codes or by completing challenges.

At this rate I'll just have to wait a few years for the complete edition at only $19.99 with all DLC included for free...problem is that will take a long time.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #173
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Well I actually ordered the Fighter Pack 3 on Tuesday when it was released in the Playstation Store and I've been playing as him a lot this week ... maybe it's different for XBOX or PC?

Like Sumac said ... I'm sure a TMNT play-through trailer will drop in January after Enchantress's release.
Hmm... I thought non-season pass holders got him a week later.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #174
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
$19.99 just for a fighter pack, goddamn. It's gotten to the point where DLC overall for all the additional fighters costs more than the main game. The full game costs $89.99 with all DLC included...wtf.

I miss the days when bonus characters were unlockable in-game for completing a story mode, higher difficulties, or some sort of challenge. Why back in my day you bought a game and you got all the characters, and you unlocked the rest either with cheat codes or by completing challenges.

At this rate I'll just have to wait a few years for the complete edition at only $19.99 with all DLC included for free...problem is that will take a long time.
Games costs more to develop this days.
So, it's either you pay more for bigger package or pay the same price for initial package and then pay for the rest of it in the form of DLC.

I am not fan of it myself, but it's not like anything can be done about it. Unless people will be willing to pay 100+$ for a complete package.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #175
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:

Injustice 2 has 28 playable characters in the base game. "Back in your day" fighters had like, 12 people and two modes. Shut the **** up.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #176
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's not really true, plenty of old fighters from the late 90's or early 2000's had 20-30 character rosters.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #177
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Injustice 2 has 28 playable characters in the base game. "Back in your day" fighters had like, 12 people and two modes. Shut the **** up.
Actually before rise of DLC, there were quite a lot of fighters with rosters having more than 20+ chars: MK Trilogy, 3 MK games on PS2, KOF series, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Tekken Tag Tournament, just to name a few.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #178
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
That's not really true, plenty of old fighters from the late 90's or early 2000's had 20-30 character rosters.
So then nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Actually before rise of DLC, there were quite a lot of fighters with rosters having more than 20+ chars: MK Trilogy, 3 MK games on PS2, KOF series, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Tekken Tag Tournament, just to name a few.
Injustice 2 has 28 non DLC characters. Point stands.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #179
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Not just that but games like SF Alpha 3, Capcom VS SNK 2, several Tekken games pre-dlc, etc all had characters you could unlock into the actual game without having to pay extra.

Though I do like DLC, I just like actual real DLC, extra characters that weren't even imagined when the game was first released. Not like SF X Tekken where the characters were already on the disc and you were basically paying for a cheat code to unlock them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #180
Ninjinister
無問題

The larger numbers almost never were in first iterations of fighters, and heck, even today the initial installments *usually* don't have much. 20-30 is the norm now for most fighters. They also would dial back the roster significantly if there was a major engine/platform change, like how MK4 had way less than Trilogy and was more or less equal with MK3 (depending on if you count unplayables/bosses). But yeah, most fighters before the modern age had to wrack up a few sequels/upgrades before your got your bigger-than-even-20 rosters, outside of The King of Fighters, and even then with the first game you couldn't even pick your character but had to choose a team.

I mean even UMK3 would have likely never happened if people didn't lose their s**t at MK3 not having their precious "ninjas". [sic]

And of course, roster size means f** all if the characters aren't different enough. Some of the "flying fighter" DBZ games (Budokai Tenkaichi, Xenoverse arguably) can boast over 100 characters but they're all super same-y, the same handful of move-type templates stitched onto different models. That's part of the reason there's so much excitement over FighterZ.

I do miss unlocking characters but since the developers have to appeal to two different crowds these days, it's becoming more rare. It's not beneficial to tournament players to have half the cast hidden away and those things are so big now that they're on network television and there are massive cash prizes, so yeah, that's less of a thing now. The problem is when the developers don't know how to do the balancing act.

But even though the FGC is a big money draw, fighters are still a niche and honestly I'm just thanking my lucky stars they're not hitting the mobile/Battlefront 2 type of thing. Yeah you have random drops with your gear but you'll never have to pay (in-game or real world) currency for a chance to get a specific character with any of the current games, and you'll not have to grind infinity years to unlock anything. I do detest Capcom's hogwash that they've done in recent years, even back as far as Super SF4 and MvC3. And I'm also glad that most games don't make you buy a new disc to upgrade anymore - I like when it's an option, so that everyone's happy.

Keep in mind that NetherRealm has straight up said that they don't even start more than just the basic foundation of any of their DLC (pre-order bonus shenanigans not withstanding, but I suspect their daddies at Warner being behind that) before the game goes gold. While they may have decided on the Turtles being in back before/when the game was released, they absolutely hadn't made them. They didn't purposely hold back on releasing nine characters at launch (or even, based on the evidence, the first three) just to release them one a month.

Tags
injustice 2, peanut