The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #661
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... the difference is that Spider-Man No Way Home never NEEDED multiple Spider-Men in it. Like, it would have done great with or without them... so they might as well keep the surprise intact, or try to.

But Flash? That movie desperately needs a gimmick like that or nobody gives af about it. So of course they want the multiple Batmen to leak.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #662
Leo656
The Franchise

But why belabor the point and try to protect a "surprise" that everyone has known about for a year? "The five people watching the movie who don't go on the internet are gonna be SO shocked when they see Maguire and Garfield show up!" Everybody already knows!

I confess, this is one of those things where Wrestling Logic determines how I look at things, to some degree. In the wrestling business, it's kind of an open secret that any "surprise" is either a bait-and-switch OR you don't actually know what you're gonna do, so you use "It's a surprise!" to buy yourself some time to half-ass something. Either way, it demonstrates that on some level you don't have confidence in what you're actually presenting, enough to let it stand on its own. If you're overly reliant on a "surprise attraction" to create buzz, odds are the thing you're promoting isn't worth it. Because if you have something people will want to see, then you don't keep a tarp over it, you promote the hell out of it to make sure every single person with two good eyes and ears knows about it and will pay to see it. "Wait'll you see our Big Surprise!" is generally code for "We don't have sh*t."

There's been exceptions, but they're rare. An overreliance on surprises and twists means that the product itself being presented is shoddy and you're hoping people will be too busy being "surprised" and awestruck to notice.

And again, if everybody already knows what the "surprise" is, it's not much of a surprise anyway, so you look like a goof for even trying to present it as such.

I mean it's not like it matters. Anyone genuinely excited about the two ex-Spider-Men being in this movie are so easy to win over that it really doesn't matter what the rest of the movie is like, they'll go home happy just because they got to see Tobey in tights again. Same with the Flash movie. "I can't wait to see an elderly Michael Keaton dress up like Batman again!" Like, really? Alright, I guess.

Those people don't even need to be "surprised", they don't exactly require that you work very hard to entertain them in the first place so all of the jumping through hoops is pretty pointless.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #663
frank_one
Mad Scientist

We know Tobey will be in the movie, but at the same time... we don't. At the end of the day you still need to go and see the movie to be sure.
As simple as it is, their strategy works.
On the other side, the presence of Keaton in the Flash movie is almost the only thing we know about that flick. One could be brave enough and think they've built the whole movie starting from there, the movie existing just to make them able to sell us the return of Keaton in that old iconic role.

Different strategies, for sure.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #664
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... I don't think this will happen. But... maybe?

Old 09-29-2021, 05:33 AM   #665
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Tobey and Andrew are going to get far less screentime in this than people think. They'll probably only show up around Act 3 of the movie and only be involved in the climax. The first half of the movies looks to have a lot of build up, then it'll probably just be Spiderman himself against all the villains for the middle of the movie...and we won't see the other two till the end of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #666
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well... I don't think this will happen. But... maybe?

https://i.ibb.co/BTXcJ3C/243417462-1...53534907-n.jpg

I want Tobey to get as much screen time as possible to make up for no Spider-Man 4.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:11 AM   #667
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Supposed audio leak

Spoiler:
Macguire saying Octavious died on his world, and pointing out Holland and Garfield have web shooters

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #668
Galactus
Foot Elite

We know that Tobey and Andrew are back and playing their version of the Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

If they were going to make use the mutliverse to bring in yet more Spider-people that are women or people of color they'd save it for MCU Spider-Man 4 and likely it wont be the above characters. It will be a live action version of Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen. If they could get Emma Stone back that would also be quite the coup.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #669
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A new interview with Holland confirms this is the definitive end to the Homecoming saga, and that if they are to continue, the films will become something entirely different in feel and tone

https://ew.com/movies/tom-holland-sp...a2610001ad2892
Old 10-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #670
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
A new interview with Holland confirms this is the definitive end to the Homecoming saga, and that if they are to continue, the films will become something entirely different in feel and tone
I hope the translation for that isn't "... because the new films will not have anything to do with Marvel Studios and will be being done solely at Sony."
Old 10-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #671
IMJ
Foot Elite

I am very ready for less Universe connectivity and back to grass roots superhero flicks. But I'm also ready for the definitive Iron Man film to finally be released as well, but that's all f'd now with "Armor Wars" becoming a Rhodey T.V. show, so......
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #672
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
with "Armor Wars" becoming a Rhodey T.V. show, so......
It'll serve two purposes, I bet. One, to be the Rhodey TV show, two, to introduce that Ironheart genius chick, to be groomed as the new Iron Man.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #673
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The movie is Spider-Man's "endgame"

Quote:
“When I was first pitched the idea, I was like, ‘Wow, that would be awesome if we could pull it off’,” says Spidey himself, Tom Holland, of the prospect of bringing in famous former foes. “‘But there’s just no way it’s going to work. You’re just not going to be able to get everyone to do what they need to do. It’s just not going to happen.’ But it did happen. And it’s crazy

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-23-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #674
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It'll serve two purposes, I bet. One, to be the Rhodey TV show, two, to introduce that Ironheart genius chick, to be groomed as the new Iron Man.
Apparently she's going to debut in Black Panther 2

Quote:
I am very ready for less Universe connectivity and back to grass roots superhero flicks. But I'm also ready for the definitive Iron Man film to finally be released as well, but that's all f'd now with "Armor Wars" becoming a Rhodey T.V. show, so......
I mean, Tony is dead, what did you think the show was going to be?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #675
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I mean, Tony is dead, what did you think the show was going to be?
I don't think you understand the directionality of my disdain about this.

The point is that Armor Wars (originally title Stark Wars) is unarguably Iron Man's most defining story in print. Not Rhodey's. It's the concept that should've been Iron Man 2. It shouldn't be an after thought T.V. series at all, let alone a Rhodey vehicle.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #676
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Though look at something like "Civil War." After reading the comics, who in the world would have thought it'd be a scaled down nothing that would take the place of Captain America 2 and end with Captain America not getting shot in the head? Tons of MCU stuff in name only.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #677
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Though look at something like "Civil War." After reading the comics, who in the world would have thought it'd be a scaled down nothing that would take the place of Captain America 2 and end with Captain America not getting shot in the head? Tons of MCU stuff in name only.
Ya. It sucks.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #678
AquaParade
Big Boss

I like that they use the comics for inspiration but go their own way with it.

I don't want to see Civil War adapted panel for panel or even story beat for story beat. It wouldn't suit the strengths of the medium.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:47 AM   #679
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, the original Civil War itself is an atrocious storyline that Marvel somehow spun into an accessible, more wholesome and character-accurate plot. Hell the story No Way Home is adapting, One More Day/One Moment In Time, is probably one of the worst Spider-Man stories of them all
Old 10-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #680
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I don't think you understand the directionality of my disdain about this.

The point is that Armor Wars (originally title Stark Wars) is unarguably Iron Man's most defining story in print. Not Rhodey's. It's the concept that should've been Iron Man 2. It shouldn't be an after thought T.V. series at all, let alone a Rhodey vehicle.
Ah, okay I get that. I mean, I'm on the forgiving side since in this medium they're beholden to using real, live actors not just characters drawn on the page. RDJ was gonna either keep asking for MORE money or be retired eventually; I can't be mad that they have further story ideas to explore after his departure from the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I like that they use the comics for inspiration but go their own way with it.

I don't want to see Civil War adapted panel for panel or even story beat for story beat. It wouldn't suit the strengths of the medium.
Same here. I made my peace long ago that the MCU =/= the Marvel Comics Universe, and I've enjoyed it a lot more since. I know it's not the versions of these characters' stories we're most familiar with, they're more like Elseworld's-style tales. I don't think I've ever seen a comic story where Peter was as young and naive and as much Iron Man's protege as he was in the MCU, but I still enjoyed the MCU Spider-Man movies nonetheless. Like AquaParade said, it's refreshing in its novelty and still fun. But to each their own

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote