The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #601
snake
Disgusting

Pretty please?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #602
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
They just did such a good job with vulture.
Not really. Michael Keaton's performance was competent but the character himself was very very simple. Writing a character to be decent enough to not murder his own wife and kid while going out into the world and murdering other people's wives and kids doesn't earn you a "good job" sticker.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #603
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Not really. Michael Keaton's performance was competent but the character himself was very very simple. Writing a character to be decent enough to not murder his own wife and kid while going out into the world and murdering other people's wives and kids doesn't earn you a "good job" sticker.
He worked for me. Comic Vulture isn't a complex character either. The only time he was interesting was when he was in the f*cking nursing home.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #604
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Well he wasn't a full on villain. He murdered someone on-screen, but he was one of his crew and he did it by accident (he said he thought he used the anti-gravity gun, so he didn't intend to kill him), and was mostly looking to steal more tech. He also gave Spiderman many chances to stay away before he said he would kill him, and even then he felt redeemed in the post-credits scene where he said he wouldn't give away Peter's identity.

The day of completely crazed supervillains is pretty much over. I didn't see him as much more than a working class man looking to start his own business after being treated badly by society.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #605
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well he wasn't a full on villain. He murdered someone on-screen, but he was one of his crew and he did it by accident (he said he thought he used the anti-gravity gun, so he didn't intend to kill him), and was mostly looking to steal more tech. He also gave Spiderman many chances to stay away before he said he would kill him, and even then he felt redeemed in the post-credits scene where he said he wouldn't give away Peter's identity.

The day of completely crazed supervillains is pretty much over. I didn't see him as much more than a working class man looking to start his own business after being treated badly by society.
2008 Joker begs to differ.

Man, I can't wait to see Homecoming. I think I'll save my ticket money and just buy the DVD when it comes out... sounds like it's worth the buy!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #606
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
2008 Joker begs to differ.
Yeah, but well, 2008 was nearly a decade ago. I know, I know, time flies.

It's easy to forget the 2010's are actually a different decade than 2000-2009. I forget all the time too. For some reason I feel like the 90's are still "last decade" and everything now is still the early 2000's.

The passage of time is weird as hell. It's literally been 15 years since the first Spiderman movie came out in 2002. I remember seeing it in theaters like it was only yesterday.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #607
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I like that while he was completely unscrupulous, he still love his family.

They just did such a good job with vulture.
Even with the crazy robot wings, he was the most believable bad guy in a comic book movie for a long time. Keaton's performance doesn't hurt either; that scene where he figures out what's going on in the car was probably the highlight of the movie for me.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #608
snake
Disgusting

I can't believe it's been 1 year since 2016, which is equivalent to 1989 in 1990. Can you believe 1917 was 100 years ago? Hell, I still remember 1640 like it was yesterday.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #609
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
He worked for me. Comic Vulture isn't a complex character either. The only time he was interesting was when he was in the f*cking nursing home.
Which comic is this?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #610
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
You haven't read much Spider-Man have you? Peter's uncle and aunt were much older than his parents. Almost more like grandparents. And May had a weak heart. They had quite a few stories that pointed out how much of an age gap there was between his aunt/uncle and his parents. Including one where his "parents" came back, or when Octavius almost married May, or when she "died".... You get the idea. Now the movies want her to be young and "fun". Why, exactly? It does not serve her character in any way. In fact it goes against her role in the mythos in many ways.
Dude, I get that but my point is that it's an approach that maybe they thought on one hand it doesn't make sense for a sister to be a few generations older than the other. But filling me in with the above context, totally understand with what you are saying.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 07-19-2017 at 06:01 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #611
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Which comic is this?
Aunt May had a little-known boyfriend I think in the late '80s to '90s. They lived in a nursing home. I haven't read the issue itself but Vulture apparently visited the home (since in the comics he's old as dirt) and shenanigans ensued, resulting in May's boyfriend being killed. A little later Vulture kidnapped Aunt May, the twist being that he only takes her somewhere where he can apologize for killing him.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #612
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Cheers for the info! I think I found it: Amazing Spiderman Vol 1 #224
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #613
snake
Disgusting

Yep, that's the issue. I highly recommend Stern's run if you can get your hands on it.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #614
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Yes, and it is followed up on in Amazing Spider-Man #336 while the fallout happens in a bittersweet Spectacular Spider-Man#187.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #615
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Dude, I get that but my point is that it's an approach that maybe they thought on one hand it doesn't make sense for a sister to be a few generations older than the other. But filling me in with the above context, totally understand with what you are saying.

Technically they are not biologically related. Ben was Peter's dad's brother. May was aunt by marriage. But yes the age difference was sort of a big part of the comics. And she wasn't ALWAYS old. People forget that.....

Quote:
Aunt May had a little-known boyfriend I think in the late '80s to '90s. They lived in a nursing home. I haven't read the issue itself but Vulture apparently visited the home (since in the comics he's old as dirt) and shenanigans ensued, resulting in May's boyfriend being killed. A little later Vulture kidnapped Aunt May, the twist being that he only takes her somewhere where he can apologize for killing him.

She did indeed and it was a great story. This is one of the very instances in the comics I was referring to. May being in danger from villains going after Spidey, along with various other risks of her knowing his secret, were some of the main reasons he never told her. Including her age and health.

Quote:

I've read this one and it was very good. There is a lot of great material in the early comics. Even as far as the infamous AS-M #350 issue with Harry's drug-related death. They really need to dig into some of those older stories for the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Yes, and it is followed up on in Amazing Spider-Man #336 while the fallout happens in a bittersweet Spectacular Spider-Man#187.
I second this.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #616
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm willing to bet 60% of the people who watched this movie have never picked up a Spiderman comic in their life, so I don't think they care what Aunt May was like in the 60's-early 2000's.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #617
TheSkeletonMan939

Yeah. Ironically I bet these same people are the ones saying how great it is that this Spidey is the one "closest to the comics" because he's a fun-lovin' kid in high school played by an age-appropriate actor. Peter was only in high school for three years out of his decades-long history.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #618
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Yeah. Ironically I bet these same people are the ones saying how great it is that this Spidey is the one "closest to the comics" because he's a fun-lovin' kid in high school played by an age-appropriate actor. Peter was only in high school for three years out of his decades-long history.
But his core personality is mostly the same. I think this movie felt like Spider-Man's character.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #619
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tom Holland was great. I'm glad he looks young too. It's hard to believe he's 21 years old in real life. He certainly doesn't look it. I would have assumed he was 18-19 at most.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #620
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Do they make any "Birdman" references?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubedagesquickly, cuck_blade, homecucking, iron man 7, spider-cuck, spider-man