The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday' denofgeek interview

Ciro is out promoting his new book The Art of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 2012 Nick show) and this interview has a lot to dissect for fans of the show. It's a pretty long interview and they talk about quite a lot of things.

Quote:
I’m talking to Ciro Nieli, the executive producer of Nickelodeon’s 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series, about his upcoming book. In pulling together the behind-the-scenes designs and sketches for The Art Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Nieli found himself doing more than curating a collection of images; he found himself reliving eight years of his life.

“If you include the book, it was close to nine,” he says.
More at the link:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles interview: Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday'

Also a reminder, the book comes out THIS TUESDAY so get a copy!
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 AM   #2
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Ciro is out promoting his new book The Art of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 2012 Nick show) and this interview has a lot to dissect for fans of the show. It's a pretty long interview and they talk about quite a lot of things.

More at the link:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles interview: Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday'

Also a reminder, the book comes out THIS TUESDAY so get a copy!
I fully intend in doing so, thanks for the link.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Some interesting things there that I didn't know, like he was asked to work on a Usagi series with Dark Horse right after but it never panned out, also he offered to work on Rise, I get his reasons for choosing not to.

It looks like (although he would still do the one off story he wanted to tell) that a special is unlikely at least for sometime, but I figured that recently anyway. I do wonder what his new show is though.

Last edited by newfan; 06-10-2019 at 02:51 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Vegita-San
Emperor

just glad he's done with tmnt. didn't feel he was a good fit for it.....designs might have been ok, but story consistency was rather lacking.

i'd just rather let 2012, and with any luck the bigger mess that is rise, rest in pieces...and hope something comes along that can last ten years or more, so we stop with the constant reboots

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Fantastic & relatively in-depth interview. Very interesting to know how the extent of his involvement in TMNT could have gone much further, but at the cost of his own insights. Probably made the right call. I'm sure he'll return to TMNT one day, at any rate.

What a shame that Usagi series fell through, though- damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just glad he's done with tmnt. didn't feel he was a good fit for it.....
We get it, you're still bitter he told you off on Facebook after harassing him for a year.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"So even before a season was begun it was keeping in mind, there’s gonna be this many mutants and this many figures and new outfits for the Turtles."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

So .... how much it costs that artbook?

Anyway Hello guys, it has been a long time since the last time I read the forum.
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Darn it Nick/Viacom, let him make that special he wanted. Now that he's talked about it, it sounds pretty awesome.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Glad Ciro is not in Rise, didn't like his style and while I enjoyed 2012, it was lackluster. With that said I'd love a 2012 special/movie or whatever, maybe once enough years happen and some nostalgia kicks in.

They have the models after all, can't be all that expensive. 2012 could've easily had another season with some type of gimmick. It just seemed to end abruptly, even with 100+ episodes and most story arcs finished I kind of wanted a little more from the 2012 universe.

Mutant Apocalypse won't be matched though. Best finale ever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #10
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
So .... how much it costs that artbook?

Anyway Hello guys, it has been a long time since the last time I read the forum.
$25 and change right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Teenage-M...dp/1506709931/

Ranks among the best iterations of TMNT for me. It knew where to stick with what worked from before yet still innovate in other areas. Perfectly melds the best aspects of Mirage and Fred Wolf with some choice cherry picks from other iterations, while still packing in loads of new material. Criticisms can be made as with anything, but for me most of them stem from budgetary limitations or the realities of working on a show where toy concerns are part of the mandate. But when it shines, it shines bright!

Last edited by Zulithe; 06-11-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's very likely the 2012 series gets revisited in a DVD/blu-ray movie at some point. We got both a Batman/TMNT crossover and Rise is getting a movie, 2012 getting one eventually makes sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's very likely the 2012 series gets revisited in a DVD/blu-ray movie at some point. We got both a Batman/TMNT crossover and Rise is getting a movie, 2012 getting one eventually makes sense.
I would love to see the "Return of Kraang" idea worked out, older turtles but also older versions of April, Karai, Casey Jones, heck why not have an older Baxter Stockman appear. I would go at it from the way the Archie comics did the Future Turtles story arcs.

They could bring Jason Biggs back as the voice of the son of Leonardo.

It would be "So metal!"

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 06-12-2019 at 06:24 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #13
cloud
Stone Warrior

I feel like the article is giving the 2012 series too much credit. THe best TMNT animate series is still the 2003. Unfortunately it didn't get the exposure that the 2012 did. It was still a strong show internationally.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 AM   #14
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I feel like the article is giving the 2012 series too much credit. THe best TMNT animate series is still the 2003. Unfortunately it didn't get the exposure that the 2012 did. It was still a strong show internationally.
Well that might be your opinion, everybody else has a different one. The 2003 series was awesome but it had some serious flaws too. One of the most unforgiving ones was in "Turtles forever" the fact that they showcased the 1987 turtles totally out of character and voiced by different voice actors.

I mean come on, crying on 2003 Michelangelo's shoulder, to quote 1987 Raphael "give me a break!"

Another thing I didn't like about the 2003 series was how the whole family dynamic of the Turtles was pretty much forgotten about, the 2012 series showed the Turtles as being actual teenage brothers, giving each other a hard time and peer pressuring each other like real teen boys do.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I would love to see the "Return of Kraang" idea worked out, older turtles but also older versions of April, Karai, Casey Jones, heck why not have an older Baxter Stockman appear. I would go at it from the way the Archie comics did the Future Turtles story arcs.

They could bring Jason Biggs back as the voice of the son of Leonardo.

It would be "So metal!"
When Ciro talked about this previously I think he had them aged around 20 (also I remember in a Q&A that took place I think in the Monster arc special showing, he said that they were around 21 when the Mutagen Bomb went off so that ties in)

While I imagine they wouldn't be greatly different, there would likely be a lightly adjusted to bring them from teens to young adults, I would have been curious to see that. I'd rather it didn't go all the way to the bomb, given possible deaths but it wouldn't have to anyway.

With Nick not allowing the extra 6 eps while it was still airing, I can see them wanting a special any time soon even less but the speculation here is further down the line, who knows.

Last edited by newfan; 06-13-2019 at 03:50 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post

Another thing I didn't like about the 2003 series was how the whole family dynamic of the Turtles was pretty much forgotten about, the 2012 series showed the Turtles as being actual teenage brothers, giving each other a hard time and peer pressuring each other like real teen boys do.
The 2003 series definitely had plenty of the brother/family dynamic. The turtles were just seemingly older than the 2012 turtles. They were a more mature family, the 2012 series felt like 13 year old turtles. While the 2003 felt closer to young adults
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Ciro posted on Instagram that he will soon be offering signed copies for around $30 plus shipping. Read for more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByqUoKjpC8n/
Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #18
TMNTmousers
Thug

Not as good as the 2003 series, but hope they continue with season 6 one day.
TMNTmousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"So even before a season was begun it was keeping in mind, there’s gonna be this many mutants and this many figures and new outfits for the Turtles."
Yeah, gross from a storytelling perspective, but we've always known that to be the deal with these cartoons.

Really, it makes it all the more impressive how well this show turned out, all things considered. All in all, a pretty great rendition of the TMNT. Not my favorite, but more than I would have ever expected from a Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon, at the time of the sale. I mean, I actually do enjoy it, which was a stretch considering my preference for hand-drawn animation and the fact that I can count the number of Saturday morning cartoons I enjoy on one hand.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, gross from a storytelling perspective, but we've always known that to be the deal with these cartoons.
at least the more corporate cartoons.

I'd like to think that 4kids didn't have that problem at least.

The sad part is this show could have been truly great. but it suffered from rather weak villain stories..weak villains. and lack of direction. the long breaks didn't help it either, but all the elements where there for success.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote