The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #61
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Are the Triceratons still mutant triceratopses in the books?
Yes, also clones.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yes, also clones.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #63
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

First they were all mutated by the Utroms from dinosaurs to create soldiers, inspired by the time travelling turtles. Then two of them bred under the Utroms' notice and produced Zog. Because of this, Emperor Quanin decided to nuke all the efforts his scientists made in creating the Triceratons and had all the adults destroyed. The young Zog remained alive was cloned. He then proceeded to fall in love with one of his clones as an adult anyway. Which is what they were trying to prevent?

(I'm surprised they never discussed how the Utrom scientists felt about the original purge, especially Churk, who originally proposed their creation.)

For the Herd was a trash storyline anyway.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #64
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The whole "cloned Triceratons" idea was overcomplicated and unnecessary. If you ignore that two-parter, its absence has zero impact on the rest of the Triceraton storyline.

It sucked, but they can't all be winners. Like Cubed, I enjoyed every Universe issue except the three Invasion tie-in issues... I also greatly enjoyed the Dreadmon issue, even if I did dislike Dreadmon himself!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #65
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The whole "cloned Triceratons" idea was overcomplicated and unnecessary. If you ignore that two-parter, its absence has zero impact on the rest of the Triceraton storyline.

It sucked, but they can't all be winners. Like Cubed, I enjoyed every Universe issue except the three Invasion tie-in issues... I also greatly enjoyed the Dreadmon issue, even if I did dislike Dreadmon himself!
I agree with 100% of what you just said!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #66
ChosenOne
Banned

Could've used that silly "stuck in the building during the invasion" issue to show us what the Mutanimals were up to at that time. Or something.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #67
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's especially unnecessary when you consider that females are a thing, and (depending on the artist at least), they all have individual characteristics. Which wouldn't matter if they were all Zog.
"You're Zog, he's Zog, I'M Zog! Is there anyone here that ISN'T Zog?"

I very much ignore the two parter because there's a lot wrong with it than just the Triceratons being cloned.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So are there any actual aliens in the books? Like, that aren't just from Dimension X?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #69
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
You gotta just love IDW eh?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #70
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
So are there any actual aliens in the books? Like, that aren't just from Dimension X?
Depends, are you willing to call Renet an alien?
Hahahaha!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Depends, are you willing to call Renet an alien?
No, not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
You gotta just love IDW eh?
I don't... dislike them. It just became very clear pretty early on that it was all headed full-speed ahead on a trajectory very clearly... not for me. They definitely put a lot of thought into everything they do.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #72
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's things like this that it really would be better to just call Dimension X another galaxy rather than an alternate dimension.

To me, anything not of Earth should be classified as an extraterrestrial alien, inter-dimensional or not. Extra-extraterrestrial
Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've never really understood it. What's the purpose of even making Dimension X literally an alternate dimension in any of these TMNT spinoffs... vs. just making it a distant corner of the galaxy, or a different galaxy? What storytelling benefits are there to it? Just because the cartoon had it that way, that's why?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #74
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
No, not really.
Then no. There are a couple of characters from other dimensions (79th Dimension of Null Time, The Battle Nexus, Ghostbusters world, etc) but none from space that we know of. I guess Null's origin is still up in the air and I think Bishop's dad implied there are space aliens out there, we just don't know yet.

Technically though, there is one, Shub-Niggurath. I don't count her because she's only in one issue (part of the Infestation 2 event) and has never been mentioned since, but she is still part of the canon according to Bobby.

Quote:
I've never really understood it. What's the purpose of even making Dimension X literally an alternate dimension in any of these TMNT spinoffs... vs. just making it a distant corner of the galaxy, or a different galaxy? What storytelling benefits are there to it? Just because the cartoon had it that way, that's why?
I'm gonna be honest, I really hate Dimension X as a concept too. It has none of the tropes associated with alternate dimensions and all the galaxy ones, they might as well call it Galaxy X.

I just pretend it's some hubworld full of migrant species, like Xen in Half-Life. It's the only way I can justify calling it an alternate dimension.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #75
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I thought Bobby said at one point that Dimension X in the IDW comics was another galaxy. Or was that one of the other versions? I know at least one version has it as a distant galaxy.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #76
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Archie described it as a galaxy.

However, when Krang is first properly introducing himself and the Utroms to Baxter Stockman, he describes himself as an "inter-dimensional alien".

It should make more sense though. To say it's "another dimension" makes me think of Flatland.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, as a concept, if you're going to utilize literally an alternate dimension in your story... you would want to introduce stuff that plays on that. Like, if this is my dimension... what is happening in that dimension? What does Earth look like in Dimension X? That sort of thing. And if you're not going to even touch on that, why is it an alternate dimension?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #78
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Dimension X as a concept probably worked best in the Archie comic, where despite the name, it was really just a galaxy within our universe.

The Fred Wolf version of Dimension X only felt like it was an alternate dimension due to how weird it could be. Everything was pink/red, and at times there seemed to be completely different laws of physics (breathable atmospheres in space, odd centers of gravity where Rock Soldiers are standing at different angles and on different planes than one another at the same time, etc.). But even then, the weirdness was mostly just "alien" and could be part of the same universe as Earth's in that series.

Honestly, I think the reason we get Dimension X so much regardless of logic is because the name sounds cool. Reason enough, I suppose.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #79
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
TFW your first instinct is to go for the upvote button but then realize this isn't Reddit.
I do this across so much of the internet, it's not even funny. Actually, the rare times I get on Facebook anymore, I'm annoyed that there's not a downvote button.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #80
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

On-topic, I am bummed to hear tonight that TMNT Universe is going. Shows how well I've been keeping up with the news as of late. I read Speng's site on the regular, but it's been a while since I was here at the forums.

I guess it had a decent run as the IDW Tales. I hope whatever comes next keeps adding to the breadth of the universe. IDW TMNT has taken a special place in my heart, and I want to see them keep telling new stories, whatever form that takes. If it means I have to go back to snagging miniseries on the regular, so be it.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote