The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think about different skin-colored TMNT?
Doesn't bother me 95 84.07%
It's kind of stupid 12 10.62%
Yeah, it's really stupid 6 5.31%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #81
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Here's a thought- maybe the difference in color indicates ACTUAL age order? Since turtles tend to darken as they age, the darker pair might be the older of the four, while their lighter siblings are slightly younger. In which case, Raph and Mikey would be the oldest in 2003, while in Nick it would be Raph and then Leo. That would actually make Leo third and Donnie the youngest in 2003! (Which is incidentally in line with Don being youngest in the comic strips....) In Nick, on the other hand, Donnie would be third and Mikey the youngest, going by color.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #82
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

Smile

It doesn't bother me at all. Like any siblings they have their likeness and differences. Not even identical twins are exactly alike; their fingerprints are different and their personalities.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Here's a thought- maybe the difference in color indicates ACTUAL age order? Since turtles tend to darken as they age, the darker pair might be the older of the four, while their lighter siblings are slightly younger. In which case, Raph and Mikey would be the oldest in 2003, while in Nick it would be Raph and then Leo. That would actually make Leo third and Donnie the youngest in 2003! (Which is incidentally in line with Don being youngest in the comic strips....) In Nick, on the other hand, Donnie would be third and Mikey the youngest, going by color.
That's assuming they're not DNA brothers. The order of which they actually popped out of the same batch of eggs is really only academic... they were there at the same time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #84
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Okay! Replying to this having only read the first page, so go easy on me if this stuff is covered.

It's kinda either/or to me. I like the Turtles having different body types and facial structures, and I think that alone should be enough. But I'm totally fine with the different-colour headbands, so long as that never touches the original Mirage characters.

The Turtles having wildly different skin tones like the original toys? I have some nostalgia for it. It doesn't make as much sense... Though I feel like I've seen some variance in skin tone in Red Eared Sliders (I had two as pets when I was a kid and I seem to recall one had slightly darker skin than the other). But it makes more sense that difference in skin tone between them would be fairly subtle.

I get wanting to differentiate them physically. But it does seem it's gotten increasingly exaggerated over the years. The comic expected that the weapons and their dialogue would be enough. Every cartoon since has used different colours and/or skin tones to make them distinct. Most recently, the BayTurtles movie has them wearing all sorts of ugly (literal) garbage to look as different as possible from one another, jumping the hell over the shark. And it all feels rooted in this dumb idea that audiences aren't smart enough to figure it out. And that bugs me.

I think keeping them relatively uniform but with a few different design elements is plenty enough. I think the current IDW designs hit an decent balance.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #85
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Although a nice idea, it just seems a bit off.

There's a pretty good artist that have done realistic takes on the TMNT where he did a line-up where the Turtles where of different turtles.

http://onetruth.deviantart.com/art/N...boys-454208883
I guess that answers that.

I could get behind the design of Leo, if all 4 of them looked like that, but it needs more work; also TMNT without bandana's isn't really TMNT.

I think mixing up the different species makes them too individualized.

I don't know, I think it's too different, but I don't hate it. Hey Mrs duckie - They have claws here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Box turtles aren't ugly!

Okay, Fine they're not the ugliest.
The mata mata are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by <TmNtRoX-1997> View Post
I'm surprised the new movies didn't do something like that or even the IDW book. It'd be interesting to see but I'm not sure I'd like it too much.
Anything would be better than PDMT.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 07-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #86
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I actually like the Turtles to resemble the action figures, so I'm 100% pro-diversity of skin color.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #87
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's assuming they're not DNA brothers. The order of which they actually popped out of the same batch of eggs is really only academic... they were there at the same time.

Actually, it could also indicate growth rate. Some individuals DO grow faster than others of the same age, so maybe they just grew faster! Doesn't have to mean they're not related, just that someone was hogging all the food.... (My guess would be Raph and Mikey in the 2003 version, or Raph and Leo as the alphas in Nick.) In any case, it was just a thought.

@ 42- I've seen that, LOL! I actually DO like the idea of them having claws (if they didn't keep them filed down short, that is) so that's kind of cool, IMHO. I just think that accidental injuries might be more likely if they let them grow out naturally like a normal turtle's claws. Especially in the dojo.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #88
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Actually, it could also indicate growth rate. Some individuals DO grow faster than others of the same age, so maybe they just grew faster! Doesn't have to mean they're not related, just that someone was hogging all the food.... (My guess would be Raph and Mikey in the 2003 version, or Raph and Leo as the alphas in Nick.) In any case, it was just a thought.

@ 42- I've seen that, LOL! I actually DO like the idea of them having claws (if they didn't keep them filed down short, that is) so that's kind of cool, IMHO. I just think that accidental injuries might be more likely if they let them grow out naturally like a normal turtle's claws. Especially in the dojo.
I like the claws too - but it might make weilding a katana difficult.

That white Don is... interesting? They definitely look like turtles. Curious what the herps in the room think.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #89
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

This person on Tumblr did Leo as a Diamondback in the more classic TMNT style.

PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #90
Powder
So tired of this place

That, I like.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #91
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
This is ********, April is a pen drawing!

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #92
Ninjinister
無問題

Yo why do all of the turtles in that lineup look super different but when it comes to April it's like "lol 80's cartoon"?
Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #93
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
But Mirage is also quite focused on it's adoptive family aspect, and being straight up different colors from each other would probably reinforce that further.
This has nothing to do with the different skin tones discussion, but this is why I've always preferred they not be, or not definitely be, blood-related. It plays better thematically with the series.

Although apparently it's unlikely they'd have come from different broods, which is fair enough.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #94
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Hah! Just noticed that, nice.
Spoiler:
Although, she's a pencil drawing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yo why do all of the turtles in that lineup look super different but when it comes to April it's like "lol 80's cartoon"?
Probably the "Yo dood, I tots gots me a boner from when I watched her as a kid, Imma draw her like dat even though that design didn't make sense even back then!" excuse, I hear that a lot.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
The mata mata are:
I've wanted a Mata Mata for so long. But they're so expensive. They don't even bite, they just suck the fish in and expel the water.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #96
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The color of one's skin denotes personality? That sounds pretty racist.
LOL not even.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #97
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

I enjoyed giving them their "comic book" look in turtle in time.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #98
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
I've wanted a Mata Mata for so long. But they're so expensive. They don't even bite, they just suck the fish in and expel the water.
Defnately one of the more fantastic faces out there!
Do you keep other species right now?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #99
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
That is actually a plot point in the TMNT universe that the fan artist, "onetruth" is imagining. He's trying to make April as odd a standout as possible when comparable to more realistic portrayals of mutants and other humans. Basically, it's a real world setting in which April looks the same every day: exaggerated figure, perfect hair, and wears the same outfit everyday... just like a cartoon character would.

Here's his explanation:
Quote:
For anyone interested in the design process;

Some have mentioned that April isn't a true redesign, so it's not as interesting as my approach to the Turtles. Well, I felt I should explain.

April's Mirage backstory states that she was never human, only a drawing that had come to life thanks to her father, who was an artist, and a magic pencil. It's a divisive bit of cannon for TMNT fans, but I really dig it, so I started there.

So, if she is in fact a drawing, drawn by a man, then her proportions should be exaggerated in all the ways male artists typically do. By including Irma, we see an average woman in her early 20's with normal body proportions, and so further push the comic stereotype by contrast.

The jumpsuit is both a nod to the 87 cartoon, and a symbol of just how out-of-step April is with the rest of the world. Cartoon and comicbook characters often wear the same clothes in every episode (one of Peter Lairds' complaints on his blog about the Fred wolf version of April).

So I figured April would quite likely wear the same bright yellow jumpsuit every day, as she is a drawing, who comes from comicbook land, and likely uses comic book logic. None of her co-workers ever comment on it simply because she's very pretty, and very pretty people, in my experience, get a pass on odd behavior all the time.

I thought about putting her in an office with other normal characters, to really hammer home how alien April actually is.

I'm somewhat happy with April's face. I had a very specific face in mind, but couldn't find ideal reference anywhere. Unfortunately, most of the line quality throughout the drawing still blows, but after so many revisions it just became a mess.
I'm still not comfortable inking in photoshop, but at some point I'll go back and clean her up for a true final.
http://onetruth.deviantart.com/art/A...Irma-497458518

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #100
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

why would April's DAD draw her all sexy?!? gross!!! plus isn't the idea that she was drawn as a child and then grew up? oh whatever. XD
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote